Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: The BEST way to light yer pipe?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Butane lighter

34 45.95%
  • Zippo lighter

9 12.16%
  • Wooden matches

27 36.49%
  • Rubbing two twigs together

2 2.70%
  • None, I only troll for polls!

2 2.70%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the BEST way to light yer pipe?

This is a discussion on What is the BEST way to light yer pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; What is the BEST (or PREFERRED) way to light your pipe? Yes, we use many different methods, but which one ...

What is the BEST way to light yer pipe?

What is the BEST (or PREFERRED) way to light your pipe? Yes, we use many different methods, but which one do you think is the best for ensuring a cool and efficient light?

I usually use a butane and/or a zippo for the pipe. The other evening I was getting the patio fireplace/pit thing lit, using a box of long wood kitchen matches. So I figure what the hey, might as well light my pipe before I toss the match onto the kindling. Wow, the coolest and easiest light I have ever had! Now I try to use wooden matches wherever possible (obviously, not when I'm on the road, can't carry that huge matchbox around)..

The match is like a paintbrush, you can guide it easily around the bowl. It is thin so no vision obstructions. And as long as its not a howling gale outdoors, a match does stay lit reasonably well. I find it a cooler flame than the zippo (which would be my second choice, except for charring lights in which case I use a butane).
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: What is the BEST way to light yer pipe?

Most of the time I use my Pipe Zippo lighter.
    When I smoke my meer I use match sticks.

[SIZE=5]Old Boy[/SIZE]

Can walk again.

I use the new Xikar pipe lighter.

Young Puffer Fish

I use a bic

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes wharfrathoss's Avatar

i use a butane lighter or match for the charring light, zippo for the rest of the bowl-in a perfect world, i'd use wood matches all the time, but i like the convenience of lighters
    There's nothing so bad in life that it can't be made worse by a lousy cigar.

Awaiting Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
    I use the new Xikar pipe lighter.
    I am curious to see how these hold up. How is the fuel capacity on these? I haven't had much luck with Xikar torch lighters as far as capacity and quality. How well does the flame stay lit in the wind? My only complaint about my Old Boy is that it doesn't stay lit too well in the wind.

Full grown Puffer Fish Sovereign's Avatar

I usually use matches to get it started, then switch to a lighter once it gets deeper down in the bowl.

Can walk again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    I am curious to see how these hold up. How is the fuel capacity on these? I haven't had much luck with Xikar torch lighters as far as capacity and quality. How well does the flame stay lit in the wind? My only complaint about my Old Boy is that it doesn't stay lit too well in the wind.
    It's styled after the Old Boy and no, wind is not a friend for the soft flame.
    Fuel capacity is fine, imo. I always have a can of butane with me though.

I think matches are the best but I use a bic most of the time because its convenient.
    A long life may not be good enough, but a good life is long enough.

The problem with the poll is the best way is with a good pipe lighter BUT I don't like to use the best way. Whenever possible I use matches. Getting that initial char almost always takes 2 matches and 3 or 4 if it is a big pipe. It is extremely inefficient and slow but I prefer it hands down over a lighter.

Maybe the best way can be the way that brings me the most enjoyment?
    In the interest of not boring you to death with siglines that never change I have decided to stop using them.

I grafted thumbs onto my hound dog !

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Arizona's Avatar

Wooden matches... Diamond brand to be exact (the smaller ones).
    Pipe smoker since 1981... 33 years and counting

No longer a community member.

I like matches. For some reason I can get an even light when I use matches.

I started out with matches but, due to my inexperience, went through way too many matches for just one bowl. I bought a Zippo and never looked back.

I think I'll give matches a try today to see if I feel any differently about them now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast