Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Does smoking a pipe taste as good as the smell?

This is a discussion on Does smoking a pipe taste as good as the smell? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Growing up my stepfather smoked a pipe. Smelled so good! Then when my Brother-in-law came to visit at Thanksgiving, it ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes miana_silvius's Avatar

Does smoking a pipe taste as good as the smell?

Growing up my stepfather smoked a pipe. Smelled so good! Then when my Brother-in-law came to visit at Thanksgiving, it reminded me again how good they smelled.

When you smoke a pipe, does it taste as good as it smells? This might be a stupid question but I had to ask.
    Darlene
    SOTL

Re: Does smoking a pipe taste as good as the smell?

yes.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

Depending on your own tastes and what kind of tobacco you smoke, it might taste BETTER than it smells!

Quote Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
    Depending on your own tastes and what kind of tobacco you smoke, it might taste BETTER than it smells!
    I find this to be the case more often than not.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

It all depends. If someone is smoking aromatics, the smoke may smell like cherries or vanilla or something else. But aromatics don't taste like they smell. Now, if you're smelling a virginia or english blend, yes the taste and smell should compliment one another. Good blenders factor aroma and room note into how they blend their tobacco.

You can't assume that because a tobacco has a nice room note that you'll enjoy the taste (or vice versa). You may love the way a particular tobacco tastes, but not care for the smell. But following your nose is not a bad idea.

I desire macaroni picturs Vrbas's Avatar

It took me several weeks of smoking and a number of different blends before I could honestly say "This taste like/better than it smells". It has a lot to do w/ body chemistry as well. Even now, smoking on 3 months, I would say there is still only a handful of blends that replicate the wonderful scent. Not that they taste bad outside of the correlation.

The cool thing for me about pipe smoking is that it introduces your palate to a new taste (and maybe a harmful chemical or two ). Either way, when i first started smoking I tried to figure out that each tobacco had to taste like apples, or cherries, or toast, or pancakes, or wood, or hay, or fire, or dung, or whatever. But the more i smoke the more i appreciate all the NEW flavors that it has to offer. It doesn't necessarily have to represent a food or anything that we are already familiar with. In time you will appreciate the number of subtleties pipe tobacco has to offer.

A few that i think taste like that smell or better:

Dans Devil's Holiday
    Stonehaven
    BCA
    TinderBox Reserve 1928
    Last edited by Vrbas; 12-12-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    My sad cellar

Full grown Puffer Fish parris001's Avatar

I used to be hard on aromatics and those who smoked them (sorry, on both counts) but today I've been enjoying Chocolate Mocha from our friends at Altadis.

Tastes great, smells great burning or in the jar. Pick ya up some, you won't be sorry.

i need a cookie bailout epyon26's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrated View Post
    yes.
    I play Russian roulette every day, a man's sport.

No longer a community member.

To me aromatics taste nothing like the smell not to say they taste bad at all there are even a some I like.

Now most english blends taste as good or better than they smell to me

Puffer Fish with some spikes perogee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by epyon26 View Post
    Rollin' country style

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by dartplayer1 View Post

Now most english blends taste as good or better than they smell to me
    well yeah, since they smell like

kidding, mostly, but unlit latakia grosses me out, but it tastes pretty good. It took me about 6 weeks before I could muster up the courage to try some, but I was pleasantly surprised

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Depending on the brand of tobacco, a big fat yes. Wish I could still smoke a pipe but with my TMJ it makes for a bad situation.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Puffer Fish with some spikes miana_silvius's Avatar

Next time I see rx2010 i'll have to ask for instructions. LOL

Maybe invest in a good smoking jacket......Oh and a pipe. Ha.
    Darlene
    SOTL