Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you prevent "the Gurgle"

This is a discussion on How do you prevent "the Gurgle" within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; How do prevent the gurgle? Because it happened to me last night and I was none to happy...

No longer a community member. nrg2's Avatar

How do you prevent "the Gurgle"

How do prevent the gurgle? Because it happened to me last night and I was none to happy

Re: How do you prevent "the Gurgle"

There are many reasons for a gurgle.......

Try dryer tobacco and smoking slower. Also could be a new pipe, pipe shape, etc., etc.
    Proud supporter of Reel Recovery.
    www.reelrecovery.org

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I believe the gurgle happens more with bent pipes than with straight pipes. I think its from condensation build up along the stem that rolls down into the bottom of the pipe. One thing that helps me a lot when I get the gurgle is by sticking a fuzzy pipe cleaner into the bowl of the pipe through the stem. And the pipe cleaner comes back all funny colors of brown

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes wharfrathoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Rat View Post
    There are many reasons for a gurgle.......

Try dryer tobacco and smoking slower. Also could be a new pipe, pipe shape, etc., etc.
    if those don't work, & you're not drooling in the stem, the airway may need reworked. any transition in the airway that's too abrupt or rough will cause condensation that turns into "gurgle". the 1st 2 ideas are a great place to start though & a lot easier to fix.
    There's nothing so bad in life that it can't be made worse by a lousy cigar.

No longer a community member.

The airway adn wet tobacco come to mind first. Then you may be smoking a little too fast. Also something people overlook is wind, if there is a breeze where you are smoking that can cause the pipe to smoke hotter or to produce a gurgle.

No longer a community member. nrg2's Avatar

Thillium thanks for the advice, it worked like a charm. The brown stuff came out and the gurgling stopped. I won't smoke as fast next time either, as everyone mentioned it could cause the problem as well

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by nrg2 View Post
    Thillium thanks for the advice, it worked like a charm. The brown stuff came out and the gurgling stopped. I won't smoke as fast next time either, as everyone mentioned it could cause the problem as well
    No problem. Try drying out your tobacco by leaving it on a napkin spread out for about 30 minutes and also like the other members should smoke slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Thillium View Post
    I believe the gurgle happens more with bent pipes than with straight pipes. I think its from condensation build up along the stem that rolls down into the bottom of the pipe. One thing that helps me a lot when I get the gurgle is by sticking a fuzzy pipe cleaner into the bowl of the pipe through the stem. And the pipe cleaner comes back all funny colors of brown
    What he said!
    Do Not Fear Death, Fear the Half-Lived Life

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

If you want to stop the gurgle you hae to figure out what is causing the condensation to occur in your pipe, which could be any of a small number of things.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Moo-ism translator, Esq

Quote Originally Posted by Thillium View Post
    I believe the gurgle happens more with bent pipes than with straight pipes.
    There is truth here...bents have more tendency to gurgle, but straights will siphon nic-juice into your mouth, issuing no such courtesy warning

All of the above is a great answer to why do gurgle and mouth spooge happen. In addition to the above advice I have many times found that at the first hint of the slightest gurgle and gentle purge or two, maybe even three, thru the pipe can abate or eliminate the problem...at least until the next gurgle. Of course this won't really work if your tobac dryness/pack/pipe/puffing rate, etc, are hopelessly out of whack.
    Reserved for future use....

Leading Puffer Fish DubintheDam's Avatar

cover the bowl with your hand and sharply flick the moistue out of the stem onto the floor....works every time no pipe cleaner needed...repeat when required. If indoors with nice carpet...just use a pipe cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    cover the bowl with your hand and sharply flick the moistue out of the stem onto the floor....works every time no pipe cleaner needed...repeat when required. If indoors with nice carpet...just use a pipe cleaner
    Never heard of this method. Think you sir, I'll give it a try.
    Brian..
    Would rather have one and not need it, Than need one and not have it.

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

It's very, very rare that I do not gurgle at some point during my smoke. I know, however, that I'm a bit of an agressive smoker. I'll never win one of those slow smoking contests they have at pipe/tobacco conventions.

That's why I always have a supply of pipe cleaners on hand during a smoke. At about .06 per cleaner, it's an easy fix for me.

WWhermit
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    cover the bowl with your hand and sharply flick the moistue out of the stem onto the floor....works every time no pipe cleaner needed...repeat when required.
    Careful if its a spigot and don't forget to wipe the mouthpiece before sticking it back in your mouth
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Newbie in the ocean

On this same topic, I have a Peterson Donegal #999 bent rhodesian that I am breaking in. I was smoking McClelland's bulk no. 5100 Red Cake the other day and it got wet in the bottom of the bowl and I got some gurgle. I tried the pipecleaner trick only to find that it doesn't work into the bowl. I get it down the stem to the shank only to find it wont work itself into the bottom of the bowl. No matter how hard I try to manuever it into the chamber I can't get it through. Is this a defect in the pipe or is this typical for a bent Peterson? Is there another method for me to use to keep gurgle and a wet smoke besides a pipecleaner? I saw the flick trick and will try that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast