Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lakeland Tobacco Blends?

This is a discussion on Lakeland Tobacco Blends? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I'm hearing about these types of blends a bit lately and I'm curious as to their characteristics. What is meant ...

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

Lakeland Tobacco Blends?

I'm hearing about these types of blends a bit lately and I'm curious as to their characteristics. What is meant by "Lakeland blend"? What are some examples of this style? I've seen the descriptors of "Virginia" and "Soapy, Floral", the latter not exactly inspiring confidence! Not sure I want soap or flowers in my pipe bowl! But I'm curious.

Re: Lakeland Tobacco Blends?

Lakeland is the region in jolly ol' England where the Gawith clan resides and produces pipe baccy and snuff. Presumably the soapy/floral aroma is from their original snuff products, carried into their pipe baccy. After the Gawith's had a family-fued-thing, they split into the Samuel Gawith house and the Gawith and-the-other-guy-I-forget house.

The aroma is minute, it doesn't really have any effect on the smoke. Just their signature sniff, so as to speak.
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    ...The aroma is minute, it doesn't really have any effect on the smoke. Just their signature sniff, so as to speak.
    'Puffs is on the mark, as usual. I initially found the various soapy or sappy floral aromas (like lilac, for heavens sake) a bit off-putting but... what can I say? It is what it is. It's a trademark that comes and goes with the tin and the smoke. It generally goes (mostly) as quick as it comes.

Fact is, I really like Squadron Leader but the soapy smell that hits me with a new tin is like a surprise every time.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Thanks, gents!

I guess if Squadron Leader is as bad as it gets, I'm in good shape. SL is one of my favorite blends.

IHT

i'd never consider Squadron Leader in the ballpark of being the "lakeland scent". to me, SL is just an english blend.

for me, and my opinion, most ppl refer to blends like 1792, or grousemoor, or Glengarry Flake, or Broken Scotch Cake... things that have a little bit of topping to them...

i sincerely hope they aren't talking about blends with the strong fire cured african leaf varieties - those are just terrific, but nothing near soapy or perfumy.
    "To be second guessed, you have to be the first guesser."

Puffer Fish with many spikes Requiem's Avatar

The first one I think of, when talking about lakeland's, is Erinmore Mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by IHT View Post
    i'd never consider Squadron Leader in the ballpark of being the "lakeland scent". to me, SL is just an english blend...
    While described as, "...the epitome of a traditional English mixture..." by people in the know, it is nonetheless a lake district product from the lake district king (SG) sporting a somewhat peculiar soapy smell (to me) upon opening a tin.

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    The first one I think of, when talking about lakeland's, is Erinmore Mixture.
    That one actually tasted like soap to me! Awful stuff!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

I'm a big fan of some Lakeland tobaccos, most Samuel Gawith tins and the Gawith,Hoggarth and Co. twists. If you ever taste soap you'll know it because its just like you stuck a bar of ivory in your mouth, something which only happened to me once. The perfume on the other hand is noticable in SG Grousemoor (similar to Erinmore but more pronounced) and a little less so in Christmas Mixture hidden under all those holiday spices. Every tin of G&H I've had reeks of perfume but the ropes are A-ok.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

IHT

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    it is nonetheless a lake district product from the lake district king (SG) sporting a somewhat peculiar soapy smell (to me) upon opening a tin.
    true on the location of where it's made.
    i haven't cracked a tin in a handful of years, probably never will again, so i'll take your word for it.

also, what in the FLUCK is up with some of these lame smilies? some are decent, some are just plain STOOOPUD.
    just a waste.

...also, what in the FLUCK is up with some of these lame smilies? some are decent, some are just plain STOOOPUD.
    and whats up with your shrinking avatar?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

true on the location of where it's made.
    i haven't cracked a tin in a handful of years, probably never will again, so i'll take your word for it.

also, what in the FLUCK is up with some of these lame smilies? some are decent, some are just plain STOOOPUD.
    just a waste.
    That ain't no shit
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    Lakeland is the region in jolly ol' England where the Gawith clan resides and produces pipe baccy and snuff. Presumably the soapy/floral aroma is from their original snuff products, carried into their pipe baccy. After the Gawith's had a family-fued-thing, they split into the Samuel Gawith house and the Gawith and-the-other-guy-I-forget house.

The aroma is minute, it doesn't really have any effect on the smoke. Just their signature sniff, so as to speak.
    er, you know, i wouldn't say that the aroma is exactly minute on 1794, nor on some of the gawith-hoggarth flakes...

but you're right, the issue is muddled a bit by the term being used both for the two gawith producers AND for certain very heavily flavoured blends - like erinmore which isn't even from the lakelands!

actually, sam gawith produces a good handfull of outstanding non-flavoured blends, and the "unscented" blends from gaw-gogg, though most of them do carry the slightest whiff of "nina ricci", are fine tobacco.

No longer a community member.

I love lakelands. SG makes some of the best tobaccos in the world, and I love almost all of them. There is a certain essence that accompanies each blend. Some times it's very subtle as with BBF and FVF, yet other times as with grousemoor it is very evident. I have never tasted any soap while smoking any SG blends. When I've smoked GH blends, however, I get a massive dose of public washroom soap from my pipe particularly blends like rum flake, or ennerdale. I haven't noticed this soapiness with blends like LA flake, but then again I haven't smoked that one in a while.

It seems to me that even though these two blenders are from the same region they use very different toppings.

IHT

i think some ppl don't know what "lakeland" aroma is and end up blaming the fire cured african leaf found in many of their non-flavored tobaccos as the "lakeland/soapy" flavor, which it's not. i always wonder what they're smoking when ppl review certain tobaccos, like Dark Flake (u) and say it's "soapy"???
    what kind of soap do you all use??!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast