Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best tasting aromatic?

This is a discussion on Best tasting aromatic? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Ive experimented with local tobacco shops and Boswell Christmas Cookie, Dutch Treat, and Northwoods. So far I havent been to ...

Young Fish

Best tasting aromatic?

Ive experimented with local tobacco shops and Boswell Christmas Cookie, Dutch Treat, and Northwoods. So far I havent been to impressed with the christmas cookie, almost no taste (at least for me). Dutch Treat was better but still didnt seem to live up the the hype everyone seems to rave about. And Northwoods was ok, my first english. Im not sure how I feel about the smokey flavor... Id like to find tobaccos that really taste good to me. What do you guys think? What is a good place to start? Im open to pretty much anything, but not too crazy about english so far, I would like more of a sweet flavor.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: Best tasting aromatic?

Honestly I have never found an aromatic that tasted like anything but hot air to me, so I won't even try.

I can suggest you try Blackpoint from GL Pease. It's an english and it has latakia in it but it is a damn fine sweet blend...I smoke it every night after work.

Other than that I would suggest a good Va/Per like Gl Pease Fillmore or maybe Haddos Delight. (even though it's not a true Va/per, but hell it's close )

enjoy!

Maboman

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Yeah, it seems too much of the enjoyment from aromatics is focused on the other end of the pipe - the room note.

Fillmore is a hell of Va/Per if that interests you, because if English isn't your thing, I'd think Va/Pers would be. It's got a full Virginian tobacco flavor with a nice cut of perique for spice and complexity. The result is a very creamy and peppery smoke. I haven't had Haddo's (Anyone reading this feel free to send me a sample THANKS), but everything I've read about it seems to say that's it's a real divisive blend - love it or hate it.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

I'm not a big Aro smoker but a couple tobacs that I like and have great roomnotes are SG's Firedance Flake and House of Windsor's Bourbon Street. There are a few other Aros I like but I'm mostly a Burley and VA smoker.
    Dale

Estate Pipe Whore morefifemusicanyone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pipes Alot View Post
    Id like to find tobaccos that really taste good to me. What do you guys think? What is a good place to start? Im open to pretty much anything, but not too crazy about english so far, I would like more of a sweet flavor.
    Start here at the Newbie Sampler Trade for pipe tobac.
    Where did my signature go?

I desire macaroni picturs Vrbas's Avatar

I would probably argue that BCA is the best tasting aromatic in my opinion. Either that or pretty much any of Boswell's aromatics, you can't go wrong with those at all (and at such a price!).
    My sad cellar

I don't get much taste from any heavy aromatics, but you might look into MacBaren's Navy flake, which has a rum casing, or maybe even SG Kendal Kream.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things." - Tom Waits

Puffer Fish with some spikes Professor Mike's Avatar

Cool Re: Best tasting aromatic?

I smoke a light aromatic blended for me at my local B&M. It has no name. It departs a ever so sightly sweet taste,with a pronounced nutty flavor and a subtle earthly undertone. I purchase it by the pound. Tonge bite that is usually associated with aromatics is almost totally non-existent.The nutty flavor is most pronounced when smoke is expelled through the nostrils. This blend is my everyday sometimes all day smoke.
    I was at one time was a huge ButterNut Burlry fan,however it has fell to No#2 since I started smoking the blend.In 41 years of marriage this is the only tobacco that the wife has ever let me smoke in the house.

Kindest Reguards
    Mike
    Nobody Dies A Virgin,Life Screws Us All!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Young Fish

It doesnt have to be a aromatic at all by the way. I definitly want to try a Va/Per, those Gl Pease blends dont sound bad..Id like to try them.

I just picked up a tin of Peterson Gold Blend from early '05 at my B&M. I liked it a lot. It's modestly well-regarded at tobaccoreviews.com , for whatever that - or my newb tastes - are worth.

Leading Puffer Fish DubintheDam's Avatar

Peterson's Sunset Brezze

Memphisto- No longer made
    Pembroke from Esoterica tobacco

Those are probably about as close as I will get to aromatic blends
    Last edited by sounds7; 04-06-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Have you tried MacBaren Vanilla Cream?
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

I thought of one more.

Troost Slices is very good.

The Dutch know their aromatics. I have also heard that Carole at Pipeworks and Wilke is somewhat a Guru when it comes to Aromatic tobacco.

Trout stream by pipesandcigars,Captain Cool by McCllellands,Berry Cobbler by Boswells and Plantas Danish Black Vanilla Flake are all favorites of mine.Dan tobacco also makes some great ones such as Da vinci,Devils Holliday and Milonga.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast