Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

When you smoke 1792...

This is a discussion on When you smoke 1792... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Screw history, I hate Tonquin!...

Re: When you smoke 1792...

Screw history, I hate Tonquin!

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
    So when I finally do crack it open I better experience for the first time in a cob?
    I can't say why but I think 1792 might be poorly served by a cob but it sounds all wrong to me. Go with a briar my friend, go with briar.

1972 fresh and slightly moist out the tin smokes with a characteristic pungency and will be slow to light; left to dry out where it loses flex and wants to break when bent it will light easier but becomes a very flat, different smoke - almost tasteless - by comparison. (According to my taste, anyhow. A lot of folks might still find it oppressive when dried.)
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Leading Puffer Fish DubintheDam's Avatar

I'm afraid I'm still not in a literal mood...but what surprises me with many strong flakes and plugs is how little bite there is, and also how soft the smoking experience can be. Here in Holland liquorice sweets are very popular, in fact all Dutch sweets are liquorice based...shops will often stock 20 different types. Salmiak is Salty Liquorice, many non-dutch can't eat the stuff, it can be like eating a cube of salt with some Liquorice flavor added. To me the taste of 1792 is exactly the same.

In a world with increasing demand for drinks like alco-pops (Bacardi Breezer) and a pipe smokers world which is full of sweet mild aromatics, it is amazing that a blend like 1972 is still made and sold in large quantities. I'm sure it came about because someone discovered that it actually tastes quite nice. The rest is history. For me I find the few Samual Gawith and Gawith Hoggart VA flakes and plugs that I have tried are much more interesting than a Latakia blend. Someone commented on my Revor Plug by Gawith Hoggart, saying: it smells like an old smelly oily diesel engine, well it does, but I love the stuff.

Full grown Puffer Fish brianwalden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    I'm afraid I'm still not in a literal mood...but what surprises me with many strong flakes and plugs is how little bite there is, and also how soft the smoking experience can be. Here in Holland liquorice sweets are very popular, in fact all Dutch sweets are liquorice based...shops will often stock 20 different types. Salmiak is Salty Liquorice, many non-dutch can't eat the stuff, it can be like eating a cube of salt with some Liquorice flavor added. To me the taste of 1792 is exactly the same.
    Kind of reminds me of beer, my wife won't touch anything that's even mildly hoppy but she loves a good porter or stout. Looking at them you'd think they'd be bitter, but they're not.

Anyway, I've yet to smoke 1792 but here's my contribution:
    When you smoke 1792 you wistfully take a sip and then say, "1792, that was a good year." No one ever laughs.

Fess up, you know you've done it.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Quote Originally Posted by brianwalden View Post
    When you smoke 1792 you wistfully take a sip and then say, "1792, that was a good year." No one ever laughs.

Fess up, you know you've done it.
    Not as yet...but I'll remember that one.

I guess I should add this link...the full history of the company:

A chronological history of Samuel Gawith and Company

i imagine this is an hilariously embarrassing question but i'm too interested:
    is Samuel Gawith company at all connected with Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.?

Quote Originally Posted by freemansrus View Post
    Don't feel bad, I was wondering the same thing.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish smokinmojo's Avatar

Some Gawith History. A chronological history of Samuel Gawith and Company

Speaking of history... After ambling through a some tins a few years ago i decided to rub and jar 8oz of 1792. A little goes a long way. I do have an occasional bowl of the stuff (but the flavor/strength leave me with my socks on). For the most part i just look at the jar on the shelf and think "it's nice to have around but not really what I'm looking for"

I imagine when it's time for me to go, it will still be around.

so was it a brother of Samuel Gawith that gave the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. its name?

so was it a brother of Samuel Gawith that gave the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. its name?

yeap...and it's amazing both companies are still going in the same small town...Kendal, UK.

my local tobacconist here in the UK supplies bulk tobacco in small pouches with "Auld Kendal" written on them.

Where would B&M tobacconists get their bulks from? They're just labeled in jars behind the counter.
    Last edited by freemansrus; 05-18-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling

my local tobacconist here in the UK supplies bulk tobacco in small pouches with "Auld Kendal" written on them.

Where would B&M tobacconists get their bulks from? They're just labeled in jars behind the counter.

This is probably the name he gives to his own blend of Samual Gawith tobacco...their big suppliers of bulk blends in the UK and worldwide.

1792 always reminds me that the US FDA has outlawed, banned, prohibited the use of the tonka bean extract in foods. Don't you get tired of having a government that taxes you then being an unwelcome Nanny to you? Screw the FDA and the Nanny-State, and ObamaCare to boot. Light up, fellow pipers, be the rebel you were born to be!!
    When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    Thats funny reading that. I know what you mean about the liquorice, so many variations but I actually like the salty ones. The one thing Salty that the dutch eat that i cant stand however is the raw herring. Salt Herring But thats real dutch. How is it that the dutch like these bold manly salty things but then turn around and make their tobacco flavored cavendish? I haven't figured it out to be honest.
    Last edited by sounds7; 05-18-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast