Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

When you smoke 1792...

This is a discussion on When you smoke 1792... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by plexiprs 1792 always reminds me that the US FDA has outlawed, banned, prohibited the use of the ...

Re: When you smoke 1792...

Quote Originally Posted by plexiprs View Post
    1792 always reminds me that the US FDA has outlawed, banned, prohibited the use of the tonka bean extract in foods. Don't you get tired of having a government that taxes you then being an unwelcome Nanny to you? Screw the FDA and the Nanny-State, and ObamaCare to boot. Light up, fellow pipers, be the rebel you were born to be!!
    Well said!

I'm working on a tin right now. I didn't read what it said on the can -- does it say it dates from 1792? I figured it was just a marketing gimmick.

Anyway, I like it better each time I smoke it, and I, too, have noticed what a mellow smoke it is. And yet flavorful.

I was just noting to myself, last night, the irony that the two "beginner" blends I have, CVS Admiral's Choice and Walgreen's Black and Gold, are the two worst biting.

Leading Puffer Fish DubintheDam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by postoak View Post
    I'm working on a tin right now. I didn't read what it said on the can -- does it say it dates from 1792? I figured it was just a marketing gimmick.

Anyway, I like it better each time I smoke it, and I, too, have noticed what a mellow smoke it is. And yet flavorful.

I was just noting to myself, last night, the irony that the two "beginner" blends I have, CVS Admiral's Choice and Walgreen's Black and Gold, are the two worst biting.

The date refers to the year the company started.

Young Puffer Fish

I really like 1792, I rub it out and smoke it in a fairly small bowled curchwarden.. probably my most relaxing combination I have in rotation.

As somebody else pointed out already; it ghosts quite heavily.. I've only smoked 1792 in that pipe until I went to try some St. James flake in it last week, it tasted horrible almost as if I were smoking some kind of laundry detergent. I ended up having to dump out the bowl and gave the pipe a good cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodduska View Post
    I really like 1792, I rub it out and smoke it in a fairly small bowled curchwarden.. probably my most relaxing combination I have in rotation.

As somebody else pointed out already; it ghosts quite heavily.. I've only smoked 1792 in that pipe until I went to try some St. James flake in it last week, it tasted horrible almost as if I were smoking some kind of laundry detergent. I ended up having to dump out the bowl and gave the pipe a good cleaning.

A good tip, I smoke it in a pipes dedicated to strong English/Irish Flakes and plugs...so it's not so much a problem, but it does ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    The fear that, whatever pipe you smoked it in, is forever ruined. Until you experience tonquin you really can't understand.
    OK I experienced it. I didnt mind the flavor at all although it is quite different from what I usually smoke. I can see it being a once in awhile baccy for me. What gets me though is the power of the smoke. You just dont realize from the mild flavor what a nick kick it has. If indeed what I am sensing is a nick kick. I had to lay down for awhile after smoking it because I got a bit swimmy headed. is this a normal reaction?

A must try blend & a swift kick in the ass of nicotine

Not on my daily routine but have on hand for those rare masochistic pipe smoking moods.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    ...you smoke pure history. You have a historic experience. You re-live history. Why and how do such blends still exist today? Now there's a question, regardless of one's own personal dislikes or likes, the existence of such a blend in modern times not only says heaps about pipe smoking but it also says heaps about people and society. I could write a very long prose on the subject..but... I would like others to be the author...I await comment...dub

There's a lot pipe smoking in general that ties us to our past. From reading I know a lot of people have received pipes from their grand fathers who probably in turn received pipes from their grandfathers. So really pipe smoking is something that passes from generation to generation.

Further more in the present age, people are all about instant gratification, look at cigarettes simple and fast. you pull one out light it and you're off to the races. But with pipes, if you want a quality smoke you have to take the time to dry the tobacco, fill the pipe, get just the right light on it and then don't smoke it too fast otherwise it destroys the experience.

In our modern world we have so many technological conveniences in every aspect of our life that things happen almost instantly. But I'm sure a lot of you know that from listening to your elders things weren't always that way, there was a time when you had to wait for things like correspondences and food just to name a few.

So really be it conscious or subconscious 1729 evokes maybe a little bit of history for some smokers.

(christ that's some good BS IMHO I don't even know if that's what you're referring to but goddamn.)

Quote Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
    OK I experienced it. I didnt mind the flavor at all although it is quite different from what I usually smoke. I can see it being a once in awhile baccy for me. What gets me though is the power of the smoke. You just dont realize from the mild flavor what a nick kick it has. If indeed what I am sensing is a nick kick. I had to lay down for awhile after smoking it because I got a bit swimmy headed. is this a normal reaction?
    I wasnt able to finish the bowl but returned to it this morning. Pleasing taste and very smooth. The after affects of the smoke however are strikingly similar to a special blend I purchased a few years ago at the Bulldog on the leidseplein in Amsterdam. In all seriousness how is this smoke legal in the USA?

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

"Tonka beans can contain on average 1% to 3% coumarin but some strains have tested as high as 10%. Coumarin is a well known plant chemical which is an anticoagulant blood thinner that has been turned into a prescription drug called coumadin or Warfarin. Coumarin is toxic when ingested in high dosages. Dietary feeding of coumarin to rats and dogs has been associated with extensive liver damage, growth retardation, testicular atrophy and cardiac paralysis."

WE sent the Brits Joeseph Kennedy Sr. and THEY send us Tonka extract. WTH?

Last edited by Mister Moo; 06-01-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

I dunno if this stuff is dangerous, & I'm not sure if I care.

1792 is delicious

oops just edited this, cause I realized I came off as a jack-***. No offense meant to you Moo, it does sound a little scary.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
    I wasnt able to finish the bowl but returned to it this morning. Pleasing taste and very smooth. The after affects of the smoke however are strikingly similar to a special blend I purchased a few years ago at the Bulldog on the leidseplein in Amsterdam. In all seriousness how is this smoke legal in the USA?

Funny, if smoked too quickly, it could have the effect of a joint...a strong one! For me I still find Irish Flake just as strong maybe stronger. One of my recent tricks of late is filling one of my very large pipes with 1792 or Irish Flake, pop it in my jacket pocket and I'm good for the whole day, no need to bring pipe pouch or baccy pouch with...just relight the pipe when I want a quick hit.

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    ...just relight the pipe when I want a quick hit.
    Thats what we need, an intoxicated Mayor!
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    Thats what we need, an intoxicated Mayor!

My other tip is put large pipe filled with 1792....jump on scooter, buy paper (IHT) on the way....the pipe will last me two good beers on the terrace....which just keeps me under legal to drive limit...drive home....done

Pipe Pro, Puffer Nouveau Bear Graves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    The fear that, whatever pipe you smoked it in, is forever ruined. Until you experience tonquin you really can't understand.
    I'm Pretty much with MM on this one. Searching through some archives, I found a review I did (of sorts).

"A pal of mine sent me a tin of 1792 on a dare, and I don't back down from dares. Just lit a bowl of the stuff. When I opened the tin, the smell made me make a sound like Side Show Bob, of the Simpsons, when he steps on a rake. Kind of a eeeeeuuuunnnhhh! The initial taste is spicy, not as strong asImight thinkbtunowi'm feeling the Rush, OHGOD,OHGOD,OHGOD,OHGOD........THE WALLS ARE BREATHING...THECOLORS...THESOUNDS................

UNNNHHHH...Where am I? Who are you and what have you done with my soft palate and tongue? Ah, Jeez. Was that a hazing of some sort? Was this tobacco really meant for human consumption, or was it intended for the tobacco equivalent of whoopee cushion? No, I take that back.... whoopee cushions are harmless, I believe this stuff has rewritten my Friggin' DNA!!! I'll get even.............., once I get out of the hospital............ "

Best regards,

Da' Bear

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast