Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

When you smoke 1792...

This is a discussion on When you smoke 1792... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Bear Graves I'm Pretty much with MM on this one. Searching through some archives, I found a ...

Re: When you smoke 1792...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Graves View Post
    I'm Pretty much with MM on this one. Searching through some archives, I found a review I did (of sorts).

"A pal of mine sent me a tin of 1792 on a dare, and I don't back down from dares. Just lit a bowl of the stuff. When I opened the tin, the smell made me make a sound like Side Show Bob, of the Simpsons, when he steps on a rake. Kind of a eeeeeuuuunnnhhh! The initial taste is spicy, not as strong asImight thinkbtunowi'm feeling the Rush, OHGOD,OHGOD,OHGOD,OHGOD........THE WALLS ARE BREATHING...THECOLORS...THESOUNDS................

UNNNHHHH...Where am I? Who are you and what have you done with my soft palate and tongue? Ah, Jeez. Was that a hazing of some sort? Was this tobacco really meant for human consumption, or was it intended for the tobacco equivalent of whoopee cushion? No, I take that back.... whoopee cushions are harmless, I believe this stuff has rewritten my Friggin' DNA!!! I'll get even.............., once I get out of the hospital............ "

Best regards,

Da' Bear
    OMG Bear I'm LMAO - great stuff isn't it 1792 is like a real great horror film, you know you shouldn't watch it but just can't keep from going back for more

Pipe Pro, Puffer Nouveau Bear Graves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N7COF View Post
    OMG Bear I'm LMAO - great stuff isn't it 1792 is like a real great horror film, you know you shouldn't watch it but just can't keep from going back for more
    I have already warned my co-workers that if they decided to take up this classic as a regular smoke, they need to give me enough of a "head's up" that I can break out my old Army NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) suit and gas mask.

Come to think of it, I may as well go out and buy a fresh supply of one-shot atropine autoinjectors.....

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

I have already warned my co-workers that if they decided to take up this classic as a regular smoke, they need to give me enough of a "head's up" that I can break out my old Army NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) suit and gas mask.

Come to think of it, I may as well go out and buy a fresh supply of one-shot atropine autoinjectors.....
    This tobak seems to be more polarizing than handgun ownership and Roe vs. Wade put together. C'mon - 1792 has a stunning few moments out of the gate but - really - after your brain cells and taste buds flatten out it turns into a rich, mellow smoke with a little extra punch and a bit of originality. Granted, it may not suit a novice smoker but for the strong, the wise and the old it has a panache and derring-do that nothing else offers. WTH? Speaking as only commercial livestock can, I would have taken you for a Papa Bear, not a Baby Bear.

I feel a poll coming on...
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Pipe Pro, Puffer Nouveau Bear Graves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    This tobak seems to be more polarizing than handgun ownership and Roe vs. Wade put together. C'mon - 1792 has a stunning few moments out of the gate but - really - after your brain cells and taste buds flatten out it turns into a rich, mellow smoke with a little extra punch and a bit of originality. Granted, it may not suit a novice smoker but for the strong, the wise and the old it has a panache and derring-do that nothing else offers. WTH? Speaking as only commercial livestock can, I would have taken you for a Papa Bear, not a Baby Bear.

I feel a poll coming on...
    Ah, but my fellow mammalian quadruped! It's not the powerful taste nor nicotine that has me running for an emesis basin, it's that damned, cloying Tonka odor. I would just assume smoke a weed that was laced with essence of fired okra (one of my food "kryptonites").

Yours, in clarification,

Bear

Yours, in clarification, Bear
    Clear as glass.

You call if you ever come thru Raleigh now, hear?

Geez, with all of this talk of 1792 I felt I just had to experience it. I was at the B&M today picking up some cigars and pipe cleaners, and they let me sample a couple bowls of the stuff. It has kind of a unique "tin" aroma (this stuff was actually bulk 1792) but I don't really see the big deal here. It's a dark pressed virginia flake with some tonquin. It's pretty stout, I suppose. Not really a gut-puncher like it's make out to be. I did smoke two bowls of the stuff back-to-back, after all. It's good. I like it.

LOL @ bear. FWIW, I like okra too.

Quote Originally Posted by uvacom View Post
    ...I felt I just had to experience it... ...I don't really see the big deal here. Not really a gut-puncher like it's make out to be... It's good. I like it.
    Sure it's good and good on you for trying the ultra-scary 1792. It's great! But, a small disclaimer. As brother madhatter said in the post above, "...it does mellow with a little time." It softens a lot, ektually. Madhatter is a master of understatement.

I expect the impact from open bulk has little to do with the tzetz you get from a new tin. With all respect due to the Bear-cub I agree completely that the aroma (and taste) from a new tin can be extraordinarily weird, off-putting and, for many, quite unpleasant. Once air hits a newly opened tin, however, the intensity of the tonquin falls off quite a lot after maybe a week. Take the 1792 challenge and do it to the 9's. Crack you a new tin before forming an opinion.

Sure it's good and good on you for trying the ultra-scary 1792. It's great! But, a small disclaimer. As brother madhatter said in the post above, "...it does mellow with a little time." It softens a lot, ektually. Madhatter is a master of understatement.

I expect the impact from open bulk has little to do with the tzetz you get from a new tin. With all respect due to the Bear-cub I agree completely that the aroma (and taste) from a new tin can be extraordinarily weird, off-putting and, for many, quite unpleasant. Once air hits a newly opened tin, however, the intensity of the tonquin falls off quite a lot after maybe a week. Take the 1792 challenge and do it to the 9's. Crack you a new tin before forming an opinion.
    I totally agree about the waiting a week thing. This is a very full-bodied tobacco that needs some time to acquire a taste for. It starts out knocking your socks off, but eventually mellows into some darn tasty tobacco.

Give it a chance, smoke at least five bowls before writing it off.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

After I posted, I considered the same thing. Well, the jar did smell pretty strongly of tonquin, but nonetheless I'm sure a new tin would have a more potent aroma, which I look forward to trying.

On a related note, this stuff is much more affordable in bulk, so I do wonder if this stuff is as potent in that form, provided it is swiftly jarred upon opening of the bulk 1lb packaging. Anybody have any experience here?

Leading Puffer Fish DubintheDam's Avatar

No experience on the bulk...but I know bulk is often better and at worst only slightly less tasty in a few cases...give the solid nico hit of the blend, me thinks bulk is a great price for a fix. I'm just about to load up a bowl actually...in my pete gold spigot 999s...so I'll be thinking of you....this one is for bed...it's 1.30am here.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

I've been smoking from my tin again this week. Right now I'm tossing between never buying it again or ordering a pound.......... lol
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Leading Puffer Fish DubintheDam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I've been smoking from my tin again this week. Right now I'm tossing between never buying it again or ordering a pound.......... lol

It is that kinda a blend...the main thing is, you gave it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    It is that kinda a blend...the main thing is, you gave it a go.
    It sure is that kind of blend as I'm tempted/tormented loading a bowl as I type

Full grown Puffer Fish AcworthAl's Avatar

Iwan Ries delivered via UPS some 1792, Irish Flake and Bracken Flake. I decided to finally give 1792 a try. Loaded it into a 20 year old Butz-Choquin and started puffing. This tobacco is strong, VERY STRONG, but what astounded me is that it seems the stronger the tobacco the smoother the taste, they never bite. I asked my wife to take a “hit” explaining to her that this was sort of like smoking a joint. She replied, “Maybe some cheap crap.” So much for her opinion. I really enjoyed this stuff, and noticed a bit of nicotine buzz. I followed up this smoke with Irish Flake in another Butz-Choquin. Was amazed this seemed as strong or stronger as 1792, but had the sweetness of a Virginian. I smoked about 3/4 of a bowl and had to stop, frankly believed that I was going to pass out. This really was the first time I had ever smoked a tobacco that really created a love hate relationship. Both were great smokes, but I am afraid I will not soon smoke both in succession.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast