Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best smelling pipe tobacco???

This is a discussion on Best smelling pipe tobacco??? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; ok Ive been smoking pipes for the past 3 years, less often than cigars but its growing on me. anyway, ...

Best smelling pipe tobacco???

ok Ive been smoking pipes for the past 3 years, less often than cigars but its growing on me. anyway, you know how when you smell a fantastic smell from a pipe and your looking around for the old guy in the tweed jacket and then you smile when you find exactly that person standing around the corner? well what is that tobacco that smells SOOOOOOOO amazing? I haven't been able to find it yet.

"Nothing is so simple that it cannot be misunderstood." Teague's Paradox

Re: Best smelling pipe tobacco???

Smells great doesn't necessarily mean tastes great.
    I prefer tastes great.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Zeabed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Smells great doesn't necessarily mean tastes great.
    I prefer tastes great.
    Also, yes it does ismell great, but does it smell of great tobacco?? With aro blends sometimes disguising the tobacco aroma itself, that is a pertinent question/clarification here.

Among those that smell and taste great to me and are recognizably tobacco-based, are W.O. Larsen's Old Fashioned, Sillems Black, McClelland's Mocha Black, and Scotty's Butternut Burley. These are the only aros or semi-aros that I smoke.
    Last edited by Zeabed; 08-28-2009 at 05:44 AM.
    I sure like those French fried taters. Mmm jhmm.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

I smell it a lot less than everyone else but, from what I've heard other people say, it's as likely to be Carter Hall as it is anything. Someone nearly always says something about how nice Carter Hall smells. I think it reminds them of Grandpa, in a good way.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Besides aromatic blends - the only positive comment (i.e. spectators haven't chased me down with pitchforks and burning torches) about the "room note" has been from Reiner's Long Golden Flake (aka Blend 71). It was smoked indoors in a friend's kitchen - his cigar brought forth his wife's wrath but my LGF aroma smoothed things over a bit. And yes, later on the room did smell figgy and fresh. Lucky swine gets to smoke cigars indoors, here I am shivering in the cold/soggy in the rain outdoors for a smoke.
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

thanks guys Ill give some of those a try.

"Nothing is so simple that it cannot be misunderstood." Teague's Paradox

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

My wife and neighbors like 1Q. I bought some vanilla , and that smelled good also.
    2012.. Clinton/ Palin

Full grown Puffer Fish AcworthAl's Avatar

For the most part I do not smoke aromatics. However Sugar Barrel smells very good and taste pretty good too.

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

I like the smell of CH as well. But I purchased a few ounces of Boswell's Berry Cobbler a couple of weeks ago and have been smoking that after dinner in the evenings and Holy Cow! It's a win/win/win sutuation for eveyone. Smells great to me while I smoke it, smells great to those around me while I smoke it, and tastes great to me while I smoke it as well. Of course it's not a tobacco smell mind you, it's a warm, sugary, berry, sweetness smell that makes you miss you Grandma kind of smell. Mmmmm.

My Wife pretty much likes the smell of everything I've smoked, with the exception of heavy Latakia blends.

And I highly agree with the above mentioned Carter Hall and Sugar Barrel comments... Good stuff all around!
    Dale

rrb

If you are only interested about the smell, I'd say it Danish Black Vanilla or Holger Danske Black and Bourbon.
    Either one has a fantastic aroma!

As autumn nears, I'll put in a pitch for C&D Maple

Smells like pancakes & syrup, but not goopy or sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    Besides aromatic blends ... positive comment ... about the "room note" has been from Reiner's Long Golden Flake (aka Blend 71)...
    That slipped my slipping mind. I recently went thru a of tin of LGF and Mrs. Moo was very complimentary on the aroma. She has also gone positive on Squadron Leader and then negative, same tin.

Discontinued, but still available from Old Virginia Tobacco Co., is Manassas. It is a Grand Marnier soaked burley plus etc. blend. I love the stuff and the aroma will generate oohs and ahhs from bystanders.

I get lots of positive comments when I smoke 1792.

But seriously I have a light english aromatic called "joe's evening campfire" & I'm pretty sure it's the best thing I've ever smelled.....ever. Nothing but positive comments.

BTW Moo you keep tempting me with that Manassas, I'm gonna have to break down and buy some soon.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    ...BTW Moo you keep tempting me with that Manassas, I'm gonna have to break down and buy some soon.
    I was just taunting you - pay no mind, the stuff really sucks.

(Send me your addy and I'll shoot you the rest of the open tin I have on hand.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast