Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

NEW Tobacco Cellar (site)

This is a discussion on NEW Tobacco Cellar (site) within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Never mind. If I'd just shut up and keep looking I wouldn't have to ask these things! Okay, now that ...

Re: NEW Tobacco Cellar (site)

Never mind. If I'd just shut up and keep looking I wouldn't have to ask these things!

Okay, now that I've got the data entered (for once I'm glad I don't have the cellar of my dreams!), I like it! The graphs are cool; looks like I'd better like Virginias...

The only negative for me is that the typeface and layout are a bit rough on my aging eyeballs.
    Last edited by MarkC; 01-19-2010 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    So do you have to add a certain number of finished tins to get it to show you the cellar projections? Does it show an overall "this is how long your cellar should last?"
    Correct. Once you have some "finished" tins, i.e. with both OPEN and FINISH dates (make a guess for the last few tins if needed) - then your actual consumption can be figured out and will show on the cellar summary as an estimated lifespan. Over time as you mark off containers as finished, it will learn and get more accurate. Note that GIVEN tins are ignored in the usage calculation, since you didn't smoke it.

The cellar usage projection chart is based on your target dates, you have to define them as such for each container. At least for the "favorite" blends, its worth the effort to plan your next acquisition
    When you add new tins you can start using the Target Date feature going forward.
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Never mind. If I'd just shut up and keep looking I wouldn't have to ask these things!

Okay, now that I've got the data entered (for once I'm glad I don't have the cellar of my dreams!), I like it! The graphs are cool; looks like I'd better like Virginias...

The only negative for me is that the typeface and layout are a bit rough on my aging eyeballs.
    A big issue was fitting all that data on screen without going too far to the right or wrapping too many lines per record. The type face and font was selected for basic legibility and small size. You can increase the browser font size but it will throw the screen formatting out of whack.

There is still quite a lot of "undefined" baccy types/descriptions, it will be updated over time (with some volunteers helping).
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Very cool, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit and enter 143 pounds into it.
    Well if its 143 lbs of the same blend, just type it in once and select 1,000 tins, and it will create them automatically
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

One thing I really like is that you can actually add "my blends" so that you don't have any "generic generic" in your cellar. I hated that.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

One thing I really like is that you can actually add "my blends" so that you don't have any "generic generic" in your cellar. I hated that.
    True, true! And the "age" of a tin is correctly calculated here - from TIN DATE to OPEN DATE. On the other site it would go from tin date to current date, and keep going even after it was opened (granted baccy does continue to age but its wrong).

Note that sometimes the import process can't recognize the blend name, in that case it will call it GENERIC GENERIC and move on. Some spellings or hypenations may be different, I think I covered most of the possible syntax issues but its likely some blends won't be recognized coming over.
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    Correct. Once you have some "finished" tins, i.e. with both OPEN and FINISH dates (make a guess for the last few tins if needed) - then your actual consumption can be figured out and will show on the cellar summary as an estimated lifespan. Over time as you mark off containers as finished, it will learn and get more accurate.
    When does it start doing this? I finished 2 tins in the last week that I added to give it a frame of reference.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

When does it start doing this? I finished 2 tins in the last week that I added to give it a frame of reference.
    I was actually wondering the same thing, I've finished a couple recently.........oh well, guess I better keep smoking
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

I just added my cellar and im not very good on computers. Followed your instructions worked perfect. You guys did a great job. You should be proud of your effort thanks again job well done.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    One tin, one hundred tins, a cellar is a cellar
    Okay, you persuaded me.

But I made a very silly mistake. I included a space in my Log In Name so now the url for my cellar doesn't work.

Would you mind changing it for me, please?
    Last edited by Tom Gooding; 01-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.

The site looks great! I never got into the old one, but I signed up for this, despite my meager "cellar". Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    I was actually wondering the same thing, I've finished a couple recently.........oh well, guess I better keep smoking
    On the Finished tins, be sure that the OPEN and FINISH dates are correct (they may default to today) or at least a good guess. This gives it a time frame to calculate the days/oz which will then be applied to the contents of your cellar. The imported list lacks the OPENED date so it may default to the current date. Going forward, as you mark tins OPEN and FINISHED, it will pick up the correct usage calculations.

Oh yes, the current year is 2010 so be sure you use the right year if you opened a tin last Dec
    I'm still dating checks 1/19/09
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gooding View Post
    Okay, you persuaded me.

But I made a very silly mistake. I included a space in my Log In Name so now the url for my cellar doesn't work.

Would you mind changing it for me, please?
    Haha! Fixed the site so you can now have spaces in your username, try it now
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

Young Puffer Fish

Thanks RJpuffs!

Wow, somebody has already added a blend from my local tobacconist. Is it anyone here?

One thing I did notice is that when I uploaded my cellar list it took all my PA, regular and "Choice Blend" and bunched them all together as regular PA. No biggie though.
    Dale

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast