Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Morta?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Morta? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; A bunch of carvers have gone down the road and are using it for pipes. Some carvers use it much ...

Question Thoughts on Morta?

A bunch of carvers have gone down the road and are using it for pipes. Some carvers use it much more than others. Becker comes to mind as being someone who is leading the charge in it's popularity although many others use it as well.

Does anyone have a Morta pipe? How does it smoke and how does it compare to briar? Noticeable difference? Whats the difference? Lighter? Smokes cleaner? Hotter?

I imagine that carvers love the heck out of it because it's something new to work with. Anything new is probably exciting for artists. If any carvers are reading this - why do you like or don't like Morta? Does it feel like you have to use the wood because it is getting popular and you are trying to keep up with consumer demand?

For those that may not know much about it (which includes me) this is the definition of it. They use the word stone - fossilized into stone. So the stuff that pipes use is only part of the way there towards stone?

From Wikipedia:
    Morta is a semi-fossilized wood. It is created when large trees are felled or overturned by geologic activity and become buried in an oxygen-limited fashion, usually in peat or clay. The wood is unable to rot normally so it begins the long process of fossilizing into stone. Morta is a generic term used to describe any semi-fossilized wood of this style.
    Morta is found in various locations across the globe, usually in marshlands or moors. It is occasionally used in making tobacco pipes.

Intolerable Curmudgeon GuitarDan's Avatar

Re: Thoughts on Morta?

I wonder how it affects the ability to absorb moisture during the smoke?

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

All i know is that in Italian Morta means dead.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    All i know is that in Italian Morta means dead.
    Well if it makes you feel better call it bog oak because that's what it is.

Mine smokes cool and as dry as any other pipe I have. Heats up fast with overpuffing but cools off twice as quickly. As a flavor of its own which some people say is great for latakia blends. I use mine for VAs
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Leading Puffer Fish

Interesting! I'd like to know more.....

Quote Originally Posted by Davetopay View Post
    Interesting! I'd like to know more.....
    Theyre carved from wood salvaged from bogs in europe and are textured like decayed wood that has turned to carbon. They're also very light, a little bit rare and a little pricey, but also gaining in popularity.

Here's two at the jamesislandpiper website

catalog_category

Puffer Fish with some spikes Twiggz's Avatar

Damn man! why did you have to post a link?!?!?! Now I want one

Must... resist... need to pay off debt first.

I really like the look of the grain. Now if only he would make one with a ring of mamoth ivory in the stem... I'd be all over that.
    "If I had all the money that I've ever spent on cars.... I'd spend it all on cars."

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggz View Post
    No kidding, that was just evil!

Man, love that billiard.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Pacific Northwesterner Garys4598's Avatar

Smile Re: Thoughts on Morta?

The following is what I believe to be a very good site for information concerning the harvesting and use of morta in pipes, it is from the Talbert Pipes website: Talbert Morta: Creation

Here is the link to his website that shows many of his past morta creations: http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/mortacatalog.shtml

Trever Talbert conveys in great detail the finding and harvesting, cutting and drying, shaping, etc., etc. of morta pipes.

For years I wanted one of his exclusive morta creations. . . alas, every cotton pick'n time I'd visit his website, whatever new morta pipes he had created were claimed. If I recall correctly (based on the info contained from his site), the morta harvested is rather small in scale in comparison to briar harvesting. Ergo, the majority of the pipes that he created from morta were generally smaller in size, although once in a blue moon he was able to harvest a piece of morta that allowed him to create a more classic/standardized pipe.

Alas, Trever has recently relocated back to the United States from France. So. . . I imagine there will be little in the way of future morta pipes being created by him.

I was never fortunate enough to secure myself a Talbert morta pipe; I've no personal experience with how they smoke. Yet as Mad Hatter has indicated (from personal experience and ownership no less) some folks believe they are somewhat superior for enjoying baccy over briar.

Based on the information contained within Trever Talbert's website, I'd be hugely surprised to learn that using morta would become popular with pipemakers, simply because of its alleged scarcity over briar.

FWIW.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

at first i thought it was petrified wood, but hot damn those are sexy!

Ah, so it's NOT stone like at all then, just well preserved old wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggz View Post

Must... resist... need to pay off debt first.

I really like the look of the grain. Now if only he would make one with a ring of mamoth ivory in the stem... I'd be all over that.
    Just tryna help a brother out

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Man, love that billiard.
    That's the pipe I have but the grain's a little different

Quote Originally Posted by Garys4598 View Post
    The following is what I believe to be a very good site for information concerning the harvesting and use of morta in pipes, it is from the Talbert Pipes website: Talbert Morta: Creation

Here is the link to his website that shows many of his past morta creations: Talbert Morta: Catalog

Trever Talbert conveys in great detail the finding and harvesting, cutting and drying, shaping, etc., etc. of morta pipes.

For years I wanted one of his exclusive morta creations. . . alas, every cotton pick'n time I'd visit his website, whatever new morta pipes he had created were claimed. If I recall correctly (based on the info contained from his site), the morta harvested is rather small in scale in comparison to briar harvesting. Ergo, the majority of the pipes that he created from morta were generally smaller in size, although once in a blue moon he was able to harvest a piece of morta that allowed him to create a more classic/standardized pipe.

Alas, Trever has recently relocated back to the United States from France. So. . . I imagine there will be little in the way of future morta pipes being created by him.

I was never fortunate enough to secure myself a Talbert morta pipe; I've no personal experience with how they smoke. Yet as Mad Hatter has indicated (from personal experience and ownership no less) some folks believe they are somewhat superior for enjoying baccy over briar.

Based on the information contained within Trever Talbert's website, I'd be hugely surprised to learn that using morta would become popular with pipemakers, simply because of its alleged scarcity over briar.

FWIW.
    I think there is a little competition for morta other than pipe making, like trinkets, souvenirs, etc.

Talbert does seem to have the best info on Morta

According to Chris Caskwith morta can be a little difficult to work with due to its texture which is pretty delicate.

I do love my morta. Its a great smoker.

Ah... that's very similar to logs that are harvested out of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. They've been sitting at the bottome of those frigid waters for well over 100 years covered in silt. The temperature, and lack of exposure to air, sunlight, and common wood eating critters/insects preserves the wood quite nicely.

Lots of waste wood, but it usually is of high quality, when compared to newly felled timber. For a few years it was very much in vogue for instrument making.

Sometimes it behaves just like any well seasoned example of a given species. Other times, it picks up very nasty minerals and/or fungus that makes for hateful work.

Looks like common species of Oak wood that has absorbed characteristics of the peat or tar in the bogs?

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Do you have to baby it like a meer? Like would you never give it a couple of thumps on a cork knocker?
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast