Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Difference between balkan and english

This is a discussion on Difference between balkan and english within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Dear members, i would like to know the difference between a balkan blend and an english blend. I would like ...

Young Fish

Question Difference between balkan and english

Dear members, i would like to know the difference between a balkan blend and an english blend. I would like to purchase some tobaccos from g.l pease abigidon and maltese falcon and some others and would like to know the differences between a balkan and english mixture.thanks

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

Re: Difference between balkan and english

I will b following this thread, as I have been wondering the same thing.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

From Mr. Pease himself:

Q: What is generally meant by "English," "Scottish," and "Balkan" style?

A: The definitions of these terms seem somewhat fluid, apart from the fact that all tobaccos bearing these appellations contain Latakia. To my mind, it's more important to consider the difference between an English mixture and a Scottish one. In the first case, Latakia is a more dominant note, with Virginias and orientals filling in the gaps. A Scottish style blend, on the other hand, is dominated by matured virginias, possibly with small amounts of oriental leaf or a bit of Latakia for spice.

There's been some discussion of late about what a “Balkan Blend” is, and after some poking about in old ephemera - tobacconists' catalogues, old magazines and so on - I'm beginning to believe that the term is meaningless. Generally, people seem to apply it to an English mixture with a greater presence of oriental tobaccos, but this isn't really a fair cop. I suspect the term was probably originally used to describe a blend that is similar to the now venerated Balkan Sobranie. What's interesting is that this particular blend was dominated by virginias and Latakia, with only delicate sprinklings of oriental leaf, which is quite at odds with the current colloquial usage.

Probably better just to think of the two terms as being interchangeable, if we use them at all, since any definitions we create will be similarly aribtrary.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Crap, I just posted that too!!!!!
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

This has been covered numerous times and you're likely to get varying answers. IMO the difference is that a balkan has a highewr percentage of latakia and VAs and a lower prcentage of orientals.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Percentage of Orientals is higher in Balkan than in English. I exclude Latakia so I refer specifically to Izmir, Smyrna, Yenidje, Samsun, Drama, Sokhaum, etc.

How much?

Depends on the blender. Depends on the market .....

I'd call the following Balkan blends ....

759 - Balkan Sobranie
    Abingdon
    Balkan Sasien
    Balkan Supreme
    Tree Mixture
    Bohemian Scandal
    Caravan
    Odyssey

The following are examples of English blends ...
    Commonwealth Mixture
    London Mixture
    Mixture 965
    Nightcap
    Penzance
    Standard Mixture Medium
    Westminster
    When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Requiem's Avatar

Obviously, this is as subjective as possible, but I find Westminster to be a balkan, although it is most often described as an english.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mugwump's Avatar

For my own personal use I consider a blend to be a Balkan/Oriental when the Oriental tobaccos outshine the Latakia. By this measure blends like Squadron Leader, Skiff, and Presbyterian fall into the Oriental/Balkan camp. For me it's all about that sliding Latakia scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
    Dear members, i would like to know the difference between a balkan blend and an english blend.
    Apparently so would everyone else.

CS Noob Ambassador

bah, I just lump them into, I like this...I do not like this lol
    lifes too short to bitch about 1 gram of diff in latakia or yenidje or any other leaf
    Oderint Dum Metuant!
    They shall all drown in lakes of blood, now they will know why they fear the dark, now they will learn why they fear the night!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Apparently so would everyone else.
    So true!

Intolerable Curmudgeon GuitarDan's Avatar

Many of us have to mail order anything other than the drugstore blend. Speaking only on my own behalf- threads like this help me make better informed decisions and keep the pile of tins containing disappointing blends from growing...

Now if only we could find out the definitive difference between bulldog and Rhodesian pipes...
    With dogs it's easy!
    Bulldog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Rhodesian Ridgeback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Zeabed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDan View Post
    [...] Now if only we could find out the definitive difference between bulldog and Rhodesian pipes...
    With dogs it's easy!
    Bulldog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Rhodesian Ridgeback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So true, I've even run into diametrically opposite definitions of that difference, both cases invoking the round shank/square shank and straight/bent guideline....! The pipes not the dogs, I mean.
    I sure like those French fried taters. Mmm jhmm.

One of the things I absolutely love about pipe smoking is the tremendous variety of flavors that tobacco blends can give you!!

Take the simple ingredient list of; VIrginia, Latakia, Other Orientals, Perique, and see what a wide range of flavors you can get. Rivals, if not exceeds, what can be done with four simple ingredients in baking!!

Then you can add more nuances and "spices" and great millions of variations!!

Balkans, English, Scottish, Irish ..... who cares!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
    I just lump them into, I like this...I do not like this
    My new motto!!!
    When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.

I am my brothers keeper! slyder's Avatar

smokin SG Balkan Flake as we speak............it falls into the "I like" category! Can i tell how much latakia is in it? nope....dont care. Tastes good. Smells good. Is good.
    I am my brothers keeper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast