Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Storing tobacco in... the freezer?

This is a discussion on Storing tobacco in... the freezer? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I know a guy that only smokes aromatics. We bat that term around but he smokes what most people think ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Storing tobacco in... the freezer?

I know a guy that only smokes aromatics. We bat that term around but he smokes what most people think of as aromatics. The ones named after desserts. Despite the "aromatics are for beginners" myth he is no beginner. I think he has been smoking a pipe for a good 20 years now.

Smoke what you like, he does.

Anyway, he heard from some old-timer that the best way to preserve an aromatic is to freeze it. For the last 15 years or so that is exactly what he has done. I assume if it had undesirable consequences he would have stopped doing it so I guess it works.

Aromatics do lose their added flavors over time. I consider this to be a good thing but if you want that full punch maybe freezing does help, I dunno.

I am not suggesting that anyone try it. I just thought you guys might be interested in reading what I consider to be a bizarre way off storing tobacco.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Re: Storing tobacco in... the freezer?

Just a guess, but I imagine freezing does nothing to the tobacco, but instead preserves the casing flavors. Though I could see long-term freezing have a negative effect on tobacco - similar to freezer burn.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Thanks for posting that. It good to hear an experienced perspective in a "purist" world.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Young Puffer Fish

its the biggest myth ever and i have been told not to do that

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Just a guess, but I imagine freezing does nothing to the tobacco, but instead preserves the casing flavors. Though I could see long-term freezing have a negative effect on tobacco - similar to freezer burn.

I assume that protecting the casing flavors is the primary goal.

The rules for tobacco would be the same as food. The best way to prevent freezer burn is to have a stand-alone freezer for long-term storage. The main cause is temperature fluctuation above zero. My meat freezer is set to stay at -20 F and is seldom opened. I can store meat much longer than normal as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Thanks for posting that. It good to hear an experienced perspective in a "purist" world.

I have a feeling that if we didn't treat aromatics as a red-headed stepchild around here more people may be inclined to join in. Someone out there is buying them because there are tons available.

I wonder how much of the market share is aromatic tobacco. I bet it is higher than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    I wonder how much of the market share is aromatic tobacco. I bet it is higher than we think.
    Way high, I bet. Likely comparative, in both quality and number, to the ratio of McDonald's burgers to actually great burgers. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Way high, I bet. Likely comparative, in both quality and number, to the ratio of McDonald's burgers to actually great burgers. Heh.

The difference here is the guys that only smoke aromatics think they the great burger diners. It is all a matter of perspective and personal preferences.

Does he jar the stuff first, or just throw the bag in the freezer?

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

The basic rule of thumb is to store your tobacco at a temperature you'd feel comfortable with yourself. I can't imagine freezing tobacco would have any positive effects unless he likes his tobacco at the tinder stage. My guess is that an aromatic would become a major tongue biter at that stage of dryness. But I'm speculating.
    My pipe doesn't stink - YOU stink!

I'm no appliance expert, but, I think the newer "anti-frost" freezers lower the humidity to prevent frostyness. Dry cold air + tobacco = dry tobacco; no matter what temperature. Or so I think.

If we are talking about goopy aromatics, most contain PG. And since PG is an alcohol, it shouldn't freeze, should it? Vodka doesn't
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

After all conventional wisdom said, "Dawk! Never put coffee in the freezer!!" some very bright boys roasted some coffee, allowed it to cool, jarred it and froze it for months.

When the jars came out of the deep freeze the beans returned to room temp and, in the sealed jars, the CO2 outgassing process commenced as if the beans had just come out of the roaster. The coffee, up to six-months old, was exactly as if freshly roasted, ground like normal, brewed like normal and tasted perfectly fresh. So much for conventional wisdom.

Jam as much bulk aro into a glass jar as you can (to replace air), seal the lid and freeze. If you want to know what'll happen just wait 6-12 months, let the jar come back to room temp and start smoking. I'd bet, same as the day it was stored.
    Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-24-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Does he jar the stuff first, or just throw the bag in the freezer?

He jars it.

I have known folks who put cartons of cigarettes in their deep freezers. Cigarettes burn as reliably as fuses anyhow, so maybe drying cigs out doesn't matter?

Quote Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
    The basic rule of thumb is to store your tobacco at a temperature you'd feel comfortable with yourself. I can't imagine freezing tobacco would have any positive effects unless he likes his tobacco at the tinder stage. My guess is that an aromatic would become a major tongue biter at that stage of dryness. But I'm speculating.
    I have seen him fill a pipe. His tobacco is not tinder. Keep in mind he has been doing this for 15 years. I think he would have stopped if it was ruining his tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    I'm no appliance expert, but, I think the newer "anti-frost" freezers lower the humidity to prevent frostyness. Dry cold air + tobacco = dry tobacco; no matter what temperature. Or so I think.

If we are talking about goopy aromatics, most contain PG. And since PG is an alcohol, it shouldn't freeze, should it? Vodka doesn't
    Vodka will freeze at -20. I know this from experience.

Freezers have no need to drop the humidity because that is what freezing does anyway. Have you ever had fruit that was freeze dried?

He goes for quality blends. I have some of what he smokes and it not drowning in PG. I don't think anyone can smoke a pipe for 20 years with some of those really goopy blends but I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast