Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Exactly How Does One Smoke a MM MacArthur Pipe?

This is a discussion on Exactly How Does One Smoke a MM MacArthur Pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by MarkC You put on your sunglasses, stand tall, and act like you're the baddest SOB on the ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Re: Exactly How Does One Smoke a MM MacArthur Pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You put on your sunglasses, stand tall, and act like you're the baddest SOB on the planet. And tell Truman to *&$# off.
    It also helps if you behave like a meglomanic, choose only yes men for your subordinates, vastly underestimate Chinese strength and willingness to become involved in Korea and be quite willing to plunge the world into WWIII. But that's all right. Matthew Ridgway will be there to clean up your messes. LOL . Sorry, to the Mac fans out there, but I couldn't resist.

Last edited by indigosmoke; 11-07-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

Bravo!!

I bought a Big Mac several years ago, from Carey's. It was too heavy to hold in my mouth all the time, and I could never keep it lit. I eventually gave it away.

I have looked at many pictures of Dugout Doug, and the pipe he smoked was nowhere near as massive as the modern cob created in his honor.

I would be curious to find out exactly what pipe he did smoke, though. It might have been a custom-made job.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You put on your sunglasses, stand tall, and act like you're the baddest SOB on the planet. And tell Truman to *&$# off.

I bought some corn cob pipes in order to build up my pipe collection, because they looked so cool on the MM website, they're so cheap, and they just feel "American" (in a good, patriotic sort of way) when smokin 'em. One of the pipes I just had to have was the MacArthur. After reading this thread yesterday I took it out for it's maiden voyage this afternoon.

Based on Airegin's post #8 I gravity feed the tobacco into it and sort of did a light tamp/Frank method on the top. It was packed real light. Probably lighter then I've ever packed a pipe but I've smoked my pipes probably less then 50 times, total, so I could be over packing in general. Then I lit up and sat down on the deck for about 40 minutes lightly tamping with little more then the weight of the tamp. One thing these cobs have taught me it's to smoke them s l o w. The first one, a little Pony Express, got toasted up on the inside. Partly I blame on smoking to fast and partly the type of tobacco I used. At this point it was burned down about an inch and I dumped the ash. It promptly went out. I did a light tamp, re-lit, then let it go and put it aside for about 30 minutes. I came back re-lit and smoked it for about another 40 minutes to the end. This second half of the game required a few relights (some because I was just not paying attention) and I did another ash dump when it was about 2/3rd's of the way down. I was pleasantly surprised that relighting was no problem with my lighter. Even when I was near the very bottom I was easily able to draw the flame down for a relight. I was also surprised to find out that there was very little unburned tobacco at the bottom, even below the shank. I don't know how this is possible unless there's enough ash packed on top that the airflow is drawn down below somehow. That, or maybe the tobacco was never packed down that far to begin with is all I can think of.

That's my first experience with it. May be totally different next time. It is a long smoke and not a pipe I will use often. At least not filled to the top. Anyone else?

Today I smoked it for the second time. Basically the same as before although this time the tobacco below the draft hole did not burn.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

mix up some pipe mud and built the bottom up to the draft hole.. add a little at a time and let it dry good until you get it up to where you want it.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Tobacco below the draft hole will never burn...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2