Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exactly How Does One Smoke a MM MacArthur Pipe?

This is a discussion on Exactly How Does One Smoke a MM MacArthur Pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Folks, On a whim, I ordered a MM MacArthur corncob pipe. Now that I have it, it looks fun and ...

CWL

Exactly How Does One Smoke a MM MacArthur Pipe?

Folks,
    On a whim, I ordered a MM MacArthur corncob pipe. Now that I have it, it looks fun and all, but I can't figure-out how one is expected to smoke the dang thing.

The bowl is 3 1/2" deep (at least) and I have no idea how does one pack and light tobacco in this deep of a bowl. I don't really want to pack the entire bowl as I will never finish it and will just be wasting baccy, but I don't think I can get it lit unless I fill 'er up the whole way...

Any advice?

Re: Exactly How Does One Smoke a MM MacArthur Pipe?

Whatever you do, don't do what I did.

It smoked alright until the above incident though. Try smoking some Carter Hall or Prince Albert through it, they burn pretty fast.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Puffer Fish with some spikes

see what happens when you flavor it with gasoline?

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Well, you never have to tamp a bowl down more than half when packing, so no problem there - especially if you use a Czech tool which can fold out to twice its length. Matches will light it much more deeper down the bowl than lighters, and if it's really that deep, there's always fireplace matches. I imagine two or three ash dumps would be in order too.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

You put on your sunglasses, stand tall, and act like you're the baddest SOB on the planet. And tell Truman to *&$# off.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You put on your sunglasses, stand tall, and act like you're the baddest SOB on the planet. And tell Truman to *&$# off.
    HAHAHAHA!
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

That is undoubtably the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Newbie in the ocean

I own several Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes and am waiting for two bent MacArthurs to come in the mail. I obviously have not smoked this one yet but I would gravity feed some tobacco into the bowl and then use the Frank Method to fill the pipe completely. Use a Zippo pipe lighter to light it.

If I were you, I would not smoke this pipe unless you have time on your hands. An MM Country Gentleman takes me 40-minutes to smoke, so this one will take well over an hour to smoke. Make sure you use a blend that does not burn too hot and does not need relights; try a mild English blend like Sutliff Private Stock No. 5 or Affordable Pipes Fox and Hound. These blends do have latakia in them but they have a sweet, spicy charateristic and a wonderful aroma.

I hope this helps, let us know how it works out.

try smoking some Irish flake, or some 1792 and tell us how you feel after that long of a smoke hahahha.
    best to do is do what Jeff said some some Carter Hall or some other straight Burley, they build up a fast cake
    troy

Potentate of Meerschaum Granger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    Any advice?
    I own one straight and one bent. I gravity fill it, then push it down, and repeat until it "feels right." After a fill I inhale to make sure it draws.

I use a Czech Tool and light it with a light. I smoke PA or Sugar Barrel (SHOCK!) in it because they don't burn too hot, and burn well on their own. If you manage your pipe and puff gentle, you can keep it going.

When you feel it burning out, dump the ash, puff and tamp, and it should keep going.

Honestly I think smoking one of these is a novelty more than anything else. When I am up for a cob, I smoke a General, which is half as tall...and it STILL lasts a LOOOOOOOONG time!
    ...have I ever mentioned that I smoke Meers and love Sugar Barrel?

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by laloin View Post
    try smoking some Irish flake, or some 1792 and tell us how you feel after that long of a smoke hahahha.
    best to do is do what Jeff said some some Carter Hall or some other straight Burley, they build up a fast cake
    troy
    Cakes are not needed with corn cob pipes. Refer to aristocob.com you will find all the information you need for corn cob pipes; including the fact that building a cake in a corn cob is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Airegin View Post
    Cakes are not needed with corn cob pipes.
    Completely off topic, but are you a jazz fan by any chance?

Newbie in the ocean

Completely off topic, but are you a jazz fan by any chance?
    Yes, I play soprano, tenor and bass saxophones, soprano and bass clarinet and bass trombone.

Cool! The handle was...familiar.

Removed per request

You put on your sunglasses
    this was the first thought that popped in my head...lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast