Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Pipe Lighters

This is a discussion on Pipe Lighters within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Bermac I use a Zippo with a pipe insert. Me too. Been using it for years. Some ...

Re: Pipe Lighters

Quote Originally Posted by Bermac View Post
    I use a Zippo with a pipe insert.
    Me too. Been using it for years. Some say you get an after taste from the fluid, but I have yet to taste it.

When it comes to pipe lighters, just buy a Corona Old Boy and you'll be done buying lighters for the rest of your life. Its like those Kayak ads, buy one, then done.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

Problem is they're pretty pricy even for a one time purchase. Especially when zippos are a fifth or less the price and last basically forever, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    Problem is they're pretty pricy even for a one time purchase. Especially when zippos are a fifth or less the price and last basically forever, too.
    Very True!

I know this is a fairly old post but I just stumbled across it. I have a Vector Gladius and I'm quite happy with it. Now I wonder if anyone knows how is ignition on this lighter started. I pull the trigger, it clicks and lights but is it a flint? Is it electronic? If it is one or the other, won't I have to replace something someday like a flint or battery? And if so, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    I know this is a fairly old post but I just stumbled across it. I have a Vector Gladius and I'm quite happy with it. Now I wonder if anyone knows how is ignition on this lighter started. I pull the trigger, it clicks and lights but is it a flint? Is it electronic? If it is one or the other, won't I have to replace something someday like a flint or battery? And if so, how?

These seem to be piezoelectric so there is nothing to replace. It works using a peculiar property of certain crystaline materials in that they produce electricity when deformed. When you squeeze the trigger, the click is the rapid release of the material slowly deformed during the squeeze. This produces enough potential to create a spark across a gap, lighting your gas. It will simply work until something else goes wrong (if ever).

Ain't science wonderful.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Thank you steinr1. I googled and located a video describing just that very thing. I tried to post the link but this being my third posting it was not yet possible.

Yes, science is wonderful.

Imco pipe lighter from Austria. Cheap as heck and more reliable than the majority of other lighters.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedMyst View Post
    When it comes to pipe lighters, just buy a Corona Old Boy and you'll be done buying lighters for the rest of your life. Its like those Kayak ads, buy one, then done.
    I've got to say, after a long time of using matches, zippos, bic lighters, etc I finally broke down and got an Old Boy a couple of weeks ago. I found a pretty good deal on one at 4noggins, and it really is a great pipe lighter. The flame is perfect. No harsh smell like the zippo, and not a pain in the rear like matches can be sometimes. I like that it uses flints, as most piezo electronic butane lighters I've tried can be troublesome sometimes. Flints are easy to replace.

That being said, I hope I don't lose it. It's not huge, and could easily be misplaced if not careful.
    It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes.

I'm a Zippo man till the day I die, always works rain or shine, life time guaranty, and they are relatively cheap. I won't lie though, if the Old Boys were cheaper, or if I hit the Powerball, I'd have one of those as well lol

Sad to say, but out of all the lighters I have (including several Zippos, including a "proper" 1982 50 year commemorative with a pipe Vector gas insert [no "Solid Brass" stamping nonsense], a few Ropp branded "Radar" type petrol lighters, a Nimrod, and best of all, a Beattie Jet lighter), I use this cheap Cricket gas lighter. Works really well with the long nose able to get deep into some of my larger pipes. I've had this one for about a year and it works day in, day out. Lovely, ain't it.

Attachment 76490
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I use this cheap Cricket gas lighter. Works really well with the long nose able to get deep into some of my larger pipes. I've had this one for about a year and it works day in, day out. Lovely, ain't it.
    That is a nifty little lighter there. I've never seen one like that here in the states.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I have always used standard BIC lighters. Someone told me it's imperative to use wooden matches to smoke pipe, but I can't taste a difference. BICs are cheap, reliable, and last a long time. Plus, you can buy them at any gas station anywhere. The only problem I have is that I always seem to lose them before I can deplete all their fuel ha ha ha

Nothin' wrong with the old Bic; I buy them by the five pack! Once you figure out not to hold it that way if you value your thumb, they're golden.
    ********.com

never could figure out how to hold bics properly to light my bowl, without burning my thumb. one of these days lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3