Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pipe in the Movie "Gettysburg"

This is a discussion on Pipe in the Movie "Gettysburg" within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; In the Civil War movie, "Gettysburg", Sam Elliot portrayed Gen Buford who smoked a nicely made briar freehand style pipe. ...

Young Fish

Pipe in the Movie "Gettysburg"

In the Civil War movie, "Gettysburg", Sam Elliot portrayed Gen Buford who
    smoked a nicely made briar freehand style pipe. For a while after the movie, the pipemaker who made this pipe advertised replicas of the Gen
    Buford pipe. Does anyone recall the pipe and possibly who made it?
    Do they still make pipes, etc?

Any information would be appreciated!

Puffer Fish with some spikes beefytee's Avatar

Re: Pipe in the Movie "Gettysburg"

Don't know how much this will help

Young Fish

That's the one I'm talking about- MANY THANKS!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes beefytee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drbill View Post
    That's the one I'm talking about- MANY THANKS!!
    It's a nice looking pipe. Looks like a military mount stacked billiard with a flared shank and groove around the bowl where the billiard would end.

If you find it let me know....it's a nice looking pipe. I don't know what it looks like in color, but I like the shape.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    It's a nice looking pipe. Looks like a military mount stacked billiard with a flared shank and groove around the bowl where the billiard would end.

If you find it let me know....it's a nice looking pipe. I don't know what it looks like in color, but I like the shape.
    Will do!!

Young Fish

BTT!!

Leading Puffer Fish swingerofbirches's Avatar

I love that movie! What a soundtrack!!!
    "The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places." - Hemingway

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by drbill View Post
    In the Civil War movie, "Gettysburg", Sam Elliot portrayed Gen Buford who
    smoked a nicely made briar freehand style pipe. For a while after the movie, the pipemaker who made this pipe advertised replicas of the Gen
    Buford pipe. Does anyone recall the pipe and possibly who made it?
    Do they still make pipes, etc?

Any information would be appreciated!

I had not only wondered about that pipe (which seemed to be a much later brier) but moreover the one that Longstreet used in two scenes which was a meerschaum carved into a beautiful lion's head. As a purveyor of meerschaums, and even having been in contact (for business reasons) with the executive producer of the film - and that type of prop would have come from the prop dept or a personal pipe that belonged to the (an) actor -or even a reenactor. In one of the "how the film was made - one of the directors was holding a meerschaum case - and there would be no other reason except for the "off camera" resting place for the one and only pipe of its type.
    I would sure like to know and would love a duplicate for my personal collection. Thanks all, any and all info greatly appreciated!