Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lord of the Rings

This is a discussion on Lord of the Rings within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I'm currently reading the whole series starting with the hobbit, and I got the idea to start a collection of ...

Question Lord of the Rings

I'm currently reading the whole series starting with the hobbit, and I got the idea to start a collection of the lotr inspired pipe tobaccos. I have found a few so far, frog morton, the name of the others escape me at the moment but they are the lotr pipe weed tobaccos. Anyone have any suggestions

Re: Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
    I'm currently reading the whole series starting with the hobbit, and I got the idea to start a collection of the lotr inspired pipe tobaccos. I have found a few so far, frog morton, the name of the others escape me at the moment but they are the lotr pipe weed tobaccos. Anyone have any suggestions
    Greg Pease has several LOTR themed tobaccos that he releases for pipe shows, but unless you feel like spending a lot of money good luck getting any unless you're AT a pipe show.

Disinterested

Can't help you on the pipe weed, but I just stopped by to congratulate you on your adventure. You are embarking on a world of literature and psychological experience that is unmatched.

Enjoy every word!

Maturing Puffer Fish thewileyman's Avatar

Check out JustForHim.com's Middle-Earth series. I really like "Shortcut to Mushrooms," and I'm not the only one; it's very highly rated at tobaccoreviews.com.

McClelland's Craftsbury series (some of which you've discovered, apparently) is made up of mostly LOTR-inspired blends: Frog Morton, Frog Morton on the Town, Frog Morton Across the Pond, Frog Morton on the Bayou, Grey Havens. I highly recommend Frog Morton on the Town, and Grey Havens is pretty good too. I haven't tried the others.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Grey Havens and Deep Hollow are also part of the Craftsbury Collection along with Frog Morton. Just for Him has a LOTR line with Shortcut to Mushrooms, Treebeard, Ruins of Isengard and Old Toby. Of course the GLP blends would be great but don't come cheap (there are also a couple of discontinued McClelland blends you might be able to find at a premium--Trollshaws and White Downs.) Also in a similar vein you might want to try some Capstan Medium Navy Cut (it's not available in the US but can be had from Europe) which was the tobacco favored by JRR himself.

edit...looks like I was posting at the same time as Thomas. Sorry for the duplicate info.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

I've only seen the films, but I've never understood the seemingly huge connection people make with pipe smoking and LotR. Even if there's more smoking in the books than movies, I still don't get the draw which I see here and online quite often. Why do people come away from the series with a sudden interest in churchwardens and themed tobaccos?

This isn't an attack, but I'm honestly a little baffled why the influence is so great. It's not the only description or depiction of pipe smoking even in recent times. There Will Be Blood, Shutter Island, Inglourious Basterds, and Sherlock Holmes all featured lots of pipes.

On the manufacturer's side, because there is a draw out there, I do see the sense in making homage blends and inspired churchwardens - because there's money to made, and you don't even have to buy rights for non-official homage product. Still, why's that draw so prevalent? It's almost silly to me, that people take that away from LotR. As if people watched Terminator 2 and suddenly pursued becoming leather-clad bikers with thick Austrian accents.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Good question Drastic. I can only answer from my point of view of course. In response to one point you've made I would say that tobacco makes perhaps even a more minor showing in the books than in the movies when one considers the total amount of words devoted to smoking compared to the length of the books. And yet pipe smoking weaves it's spell throughout the books in important ways. It's used to define character (almost always positive with one big exception, Saruman... a fallen angel of sorts), for humorous effect, to demonstrate persistence, wisdom, friendship, loyalty and other virtues and themes that run through the books. I could go into individual details of characters and scenes but I don't want to bore you as you haven't read the books. But anyway, I think it's the virtues represented by pipe smoking in the books that draw people people so deeply to the "art" as the hobbits call it. I don't think this comes across in the movies although the pipes look cool. For example, I don't think anyone in the books smokes a churchwarden. As for pipeweed being anything other than tobacco (something more than hinted at in the movies) people seem to forget the last line of The Hobbit is "Thank goodness!" said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar. Just my 2 cents worth of course.
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 09-21-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Maturing Puffer Fish thewileyman's Avatar

In the books, smoking a pipe is portrayed in a very positive light, and is closely linked to the relaxed, idyllic Hobbit lifestyle. I think that's part of the appeal.

Maturing Puffer Fish lord sevein's Avatar

I recently started my pipe smoking journey and have been a HUGE fan of the literature for years. I was actually going to make a post asking this same question. Thanks for the info guys!

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    I've only seen the films, but I've never understood the seemingly huge connection people make with pipe smoking and LotR. Even if there's more smoking in the books than movies, I still don't get the draw which I see here and online quite often. Why do people come away from the series with a sudden interest in churchwardens and themed tobaccos?

This isn't an attack, but I'm honestly a little baffled why the influence is so great. It's not the only description or depiction of pipe smoking even in recent times. There Will Be Blood, Shutter Island, Inglourious Basterds, and Sherlock Holmes all featured lots of pipes.

On the manufacturer's side, because there is a draw out there, I do see the sense in making homage blends and inspired churchwardens - because there's money to made, and you don't even have to buy rights for non-official homage product. Still, why's that draw so prevalent? It's almost silly to me, that people take that away from LotR. As if people watched Terminator 2 and suddenly pursued becoming leather-clad bikers with thick Austrian accents.
    I think the biggest difference between the pipe smoking represented in media like Sherlock Holmes and LOTR is the role the tobacco plays. In Sherlock Holmes and the like, pipes are only a prop - something used to show eccentricity and "old world" class and nothing more. It's as easy to miss as the fliers that cover the alleyways during much of the rising action of the most recent Holmes movie. (BTW check some of those out - they're really funny if you can pause on a clear frame. )

However, In LOTR pipe smoking (and tobacco use in general) is what I call a "important bit player". The people of Middle Earth revere and respect smoking as an art. Important characters don't just smoke, they approach it with the same anticipation, eagerness, and excitement as they do a battle, meeting up with old friends, or being triumphant in the end. Perhaps it is just human nature, but we tend to gravitate towards things we know. Living in the anti tobacco world that we do now, it can be really refreshing to see this ready acceptance. Personally, I can tell you that I was able to remember the passages about tobacco even before I began smoking. They were just written that well!

Puffer Fish with many spikes x6ftundx's Avatar

look up this on Ebay NASPC this is the lord of the ring pipe tobacco that GL Pease makes every year. Kinda pricey but great for LOTR people. I have the full set. Took forever and it wasn't cheap...

The Pipe Room used to sell their tobacco online, several blends of which were LOTR-inspired. But it has been several years since it was available online and the blends underwent a less copyright-infringing name change. I think they're based in Florida, so if you're in the area, go to their establishment and try their stuff.

Didnt think this would turn out to be such a interesting topic for people. I was wary of the justforhim tobacco thought it might have been a gimmick but seems like people like it, ill have to give it a shot.

I got the justforhim sampler last week. So far I've only tried the Longbottom leaf, it tasted like a cheap aromatic to me.

Hopefully the rest of the sampler is better.....
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Well, here's my read on it. Forget the movies, it's the books that do the trick. Tolkien is able to capture in his prose the tranquil effect of smoking that we pipe smokers love. When you read about Bilbo and Gandalf sharing an evening over their bowls of tobacco after you've finished your own stress filled day, it just sounds too magical to pass up.

the scene that best tell it for smoking a bowl of tobacco after a stressful day is after merry and pipen found a cask of old toby after the water recede after the battle of isnegard.
    they seem soo relaxed after that stressful battle, now the tree people don't take to kindly to leaves being burned heheh
    troy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast