Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast

Whats your latest pipe purchase?

This is a discussion on Whats your latest pipe purchase? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; A few weeks ago I purchased 24oz of PS Luxury Navy Flake. Because I am in WA I had to ...

Maturing Puffer Fish nothingclever's Avatar

Re: Whats your latest pipe purchase?

A few weeks ago I purchased 24oz of PS Luxury Navy Flake. Because I am in WA I had to ship it to a co-workers relative in Portland OR. He is going down do pick it up for me in the next week.

To tide me over...I purchased 16oz of McClelland Red Cake.

I actually managed to swing a trade for some '07 Stonehaven

Puffer Fish with some spikes neonblackjack's Avatar

Talking Re: Whats your latest pipe purchase?

Ouch, this thread really put a burn to my credit card.

I'm a brand-new pipe smoker (patiently breaking in my peterson tankard) and so far the only tobaccos I have tried are a cavendish blend from a local tobacconist, and Captain Black in the White pouch. I've actually enjoyed the Captain Black more than the houseblend, if only because the captain black burns a lot easier, smells great and seems to give more carbon to the breaking in process.
    However, both tobaccos taste pretty thin, and I just know that's not the way it has to be; so...

I've read over your purchases and recommendations and bought WAAYY too much tobacco from 4noggins. I got:

DAN Tobacco GORDON PYM 50g
    DAN Tobacco HAMBORGER VEERMASTER 50g
    DAN Tobacco TREASURES OF IRELAND: LIMERICK 50g
    G.L. Pease BARBARY COAST 2oz
    G.L. Pease HADDO'S DELIGHT 2oz
    A.C. Petersen ESCUDO 50g
    PRINCE ALBERT - 14oz Can
    Solani 660 SILVER FLAKE 100g
    G.L. Pease FILLMORE 2oz
    Robert McConnell SCOTTISH FLAKE 50g
    Reiner: Long Golden Flake 100g
    Orlik GOLDEN SLICED 50g
    McClelland 5100 RED CAKE 2oz
    CARTER HALL - 2oz
    F&K Merde de Cheval 1.5 oz.
    McClelland WILDERNESS - 50g

and a Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride Corncob.
    Whew...Slippery, slippery slope...

Any suggestions as to which tin I should crack open first? I have some eager tastebuds.
    Thanks, everybody, for your recommendations, and all the great information you've posted elsewhere in this forum.

Cheers!

Wow Jack, talk about jumping in with both feet! You're certainly off to a very good start. Welcome to the pipe side of things and enjoy your stay

Quote Originally Posted by neonblackjack View Post
    Whew...Slippery, slippery slope...
    Slope? Sounds like you've already hit bottom to me!

Young Puffer Fish

Last received purchases:
    Gatlin-Burlier Freehand estate (now fully s/a'd and smoking beautifully!)
    IMCO Streamline lighter
    Peterson's University Flake 50g

Purchases in transit:
    Mr. Groum billiard estate
    Pipe Zippo (a third the price on ebay as locally!)
    Tipa Olivewood half-bent estate
    Falcon estate (black anodized)

Solani - Aged Burley Flake 50g
    Balkan Sasieni 50g
    Esoterica - Margate 50g

Excited!

Any suggestions as to which tin I should crack open first? I have some eager tastebuds.
    Thanks, everybody, for your recommendations, and all the great information you've posted elsewhere in this forum.

Cheers!
    Hey Jack,

If I had to go back in time to first starting the pipe (which isn't that long ago) I wish I had started with Prince Albert and I would recomend cracking that 14oz tub. It isn't going to blow you away but it has a steady even solid flavor. It's also really easy to pack and light and will help you get used to a smoking tempo and the flavors. It is a very forgiving smoke. Then once you get better with the ritual of packing and lighting and your cadence start opening up the other tins of higher end baccy you got.

That 14oz tub will last you a bit, help you become a better piper and your other tins are just going to get better with age.

Just the thoughts of a 7 month smoker who tried 10 years ago and gave up LOL. For the price PA is a nice smoke too and I have an open tub and 2 more in my cellar
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbearer View Post
    Hey Jack,

If I had to go back in time to first starting the pipe (which isn't that long ago) I wish I had started with Prince Albert and I would recomend cracking that 14oz tub. It isn't going to blow you away but it has a steady even solid flavor. It's also really easy to pack and light and will help you get used to a smoking tempo and the flavors. It is a very forgiving smoke. Then once you get better with the ritual of packing and lighting and your cadence start opening up the other tins of higher end baccy you got.

That 14oz tub will last you a bit, help you become a better piper and your other tins are just going to get better with age.

Just the thoughts of a 7 month smoker who tried 10 years ago and gave up LOL. For the price PA is a nice smoke too and I have an open tub and 2 more in my cellar
    Mike
    you mean your broom closet as your celler right mike
    yep mike's right go for the Prince Albert, it's a straight Burley and it builds a nice cake fast, then go for the others
    troy

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbearer View Post
    Hey Jack,

Mike
    +1 Good advice here.
    Difficult as it will be, try to resist the urge to be in a hurry to crack everything open and try it. Take your time with the Prince and Carter Hall at first. You will really appreciate the other blends much more once you have a month or so of puffing behind you. FWIW, I also have a couple tubs of PA and plan to always have some on hand.
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Diodon nepheligina View Post
    +1 Good advice here.
    Difficult as it will be, try to resist the urge to be in a hurry to crack everything open and try it. Take your time with the Prince and Carter Hall at first. You will really appreciate the other blends much more once you have a month or so of puffing behind you. FWIW, I also have a couple tubs of PA and plan to always have some on hand.
    Thank you three for this advice; it will be very good for me to keep this in consideration, as the self-restraint is somewhat against my character. If you hadn't suggested that I hold my horses and ease myself into these great smokes, I probably would try to sample everything right away. I understand where you are coming from, and it makes good sense, so I will try to resist the urge to break into the prettiest tin as soon as it arrives.
    I bought the big tin of Prince Albert because I've heard it's a great starter, and because I've read that it was William Faulkner's favorite weed. We can't help but try to emulate our idols just a little, can we?

and @laloin: Haha, I still haven't figured out if people really mean their cellar when they say cellar. I usually assume it just means pantry. Does it make a difference? Or does it just mean a mason jar in a cool, dark place?

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Hmm, lets see. From last nights order:

Villager 1888 Mid Day 50g
    Escudo 50g
    Hartwell Evening Stroll 2oz
    G.L. Pease Chelsea Morning 2oz
    G.L. Pease Barbary Coast 2oz
    Orlik Golden Slices 100g
    Presbyterian Mixture 50g
    Rattaray's Hal O the Wynd 100g

No name briar (cup o joes 29 dollar pipe)
    softy bits (im a clencher)

Im still firmly in my "trying everything I can" phase though I do have some favorites already.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by B.L. Sims View Post
    softy bits (im a clencher)
    Softy bits kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy.ll View Post
    Softy bits kick ass.
    Those look like a great idea. Do they make the pipe easier/more comfortable to clench?

Young Puffer Fish

Those look like a great idea. Do they make the pipe easier/more comfortable to clench?
    Absolutely! They've made a world of difference to me, especially with my heavy-ish full-bent Jeantet. I can actually work or read without worrying about scarring my pipe bits or always keeping one hand free.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I figured for $3/2 id give them a shot.
    Im pretty sure ive bit a hole clean through the stem on one of my MM's - abiet cheap plastic but I digress.
    Even though my next step up is a $30 briar id like to not disfigure the stem too much.

Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 ... LastLast