Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1268

Whats your latest pipe purchase?

This is a discussion on Whats your latest pipe purchase? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Got tricked into a dupe by a system hiccup....

Re: Whats your latest pipe purchase?

Got tricked into a dupe by a system hiccup.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I guess phinz's statement is a bit like his coming to a party I was throwing and saying to me, "Wish this were being held at George's house, Jim, we'd be having a better time. His house is so much nicer and his friends are so much more interesting than yours."
    Exactly. I don't know if it was intentional or just natural talent,but it was rude as hell.
    ********.com

It has been said that good manners are dead in US, and I'll add that good manners were never our long suit in any case, especially here in New York. I've noticed that people less often take care to avoid hurting other people's feelings and more often offer intentional insults as a form of humor.

I suspect that those who find no problem with phinz's phrasing are younger than those who do, although I couldn't be certain. Was I insulted? Actually, no, I was not insulted, I merely saw an opportunity to razz somebody for an "etiquette violation." I guess phinz's statement is a bit like his coming to a party I was throwing and saying to me, "Wish this were being held at George's house, Jim, we'd be having a better time. His house is so much nicer and his friends are so much more interesting than yours."

As for that bag of Hamborger Veermaster, phinz, I've never even seen it in a bag! Very nice.
    Jim,

I realizing I'm playing with fire here, but sarcasm (and cutting wit) on internet forums is often mistaken for simple rude behavior by people that are new to a forum and aren't familiar with the various personalities. The same happened to me two years ago when I started here on the pipe side of Puff. I began asking questions and totally misread some of the responses... Now that I am familiar with some of the long standing members I see that the responses to those early posts were not rude at all, just open, frank and witty. Unless the intent is to push the more sensitive newbies to other avenues (and I do not think it is) there could be an argument that Puff veterans may consider these types of situations with a bit more caution.

My two cents, please don't ban me mods. :-)

Jon
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    ...Unless the intent is to push the more sensitive newbies to other avenues (and I do not think it is) there could be an argument that Puff veterans may consider these types of situations with a bit more caution.
    Jon
    But...but...phinz has been on the forum longer than I have. Maybe not the pipe side, though, which would explain a lot. They're a bit more rough and tumble over on the cigar side and not likely accustomed to mincing around the gentle sensitivities of the gentlemen and gentlewomen of the pipe persuasion.

I guess phinz's statement is a bit like his coming to a party I was throwing and saying to me, "Wish this were being held at George's house, Jim, we'd be having a better time. His house is so much nicer and his friends are so much more interesting than yours."
    eh. I didn't take it that way at all. More like approaching a friend at a bar and saying, "I hear the place down the street has a nicer pool table...wanna check it out?" Granted, I do still think it was a faux pas to say it on an open thread (to continue the analogy, the equivelent of standing on a barstool with a bullhorn and announcing to everyone that the bar down the street doesn't water down their drinks like this dump does). But I certainly didn't take it personally. I'm not the one that watered down the beer

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Granted, I do still think it was a faux pas to say it on an open thread (to continue the analogy, the equivalent of standing on a barstool with a bullhorn and announcing to everyone that the bar down the street doesn't water down their drinks like this dump does). But I certainly didn't take it personally. I'm not the one that watered down the beer

A far, far better analogy, Clifford, but it still lacks the implication that everybody at the bar is stupid for being there at all. In my love of the extended analogy, I'll traipse further along with the insinuation that the service is poor. In fact, the man with the bullhorn could even be a shill for the other bar!

Have we seen the dawn of the pipesite cyberwars? Will we have to recruit a Puffpipers' Mission Impossible Team, to infiltrate the opposition and bring them here?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSmoker View Post
    I'd love to dabble in this pipe smoking thing but have no idea where to start. Is there a starter kit recommendation or should I just piece meal my pipe and tobacco?
    My latest pipe purchase just may answer your question and get this thread

My brother-in-law has mentioned a few times that he's interested in trying out pipes or cigars, as part of an effort to quit smoking cigarettes. He's coming over later tonight to hang out while our wives have a girls' night out. I'll be surprising him with this 'starter kit' I just put together at my local tobacconist. Should be fun.

Total cost with taxes <$17.

Missouri Meerchaum corncob
    2oz of Lane 1-Q (I'll send him some Prince Albert from my stash as well)
    Czech tool: check! (obligatory joke)
    Pipe cleaners
    *not pictured: box of wooden matches, pipe smoking primer leaflet

This is pretty much what I started with nearly a year ago, and I'm still happily dabbling.
    Last edited by ten08; 03-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.

A perfect start!
    ********.com

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

If the people at the party are cool and welcoming enough it won't matter if some one mentions another party. As a matter of fact usually the new guests will just keep coming to the same party as long as the group is welcoming and cool to be around. Just my view on things.

Disinterested

Here's my personal view on things:

While I'm sure it's merely an effort to be helpful, it's NEVER cool to recruit for another "party" while attending someone else's. To me, it's like walking around Macy's, telling people about a sale at Sak's. It's just bad form in every regard. Add to that, being insulting and critical of one's fellow BOTL just seems unnecessary and rude. Had the community actually done anything to deserve such an attack, that would be one thing, but to simply 'volunteer' such commentary again seems to lack taste, gratitude and respect.

I just got a Corona Old Boy lighter. I went from a Zippo with a pipe insert, and wooden matches a lot of the time. Very happy with it.
    It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlocke View Post
    I just got a Corona Old Boy lighter. I went from a Zippo with a pipe insert, and wooden matches a lot of the time. Very happy with it.
    I'm jealous My Jet Line just died and will be out for warranty for quite a while so I grabbed an Imco G55 (I think?) in the mean time. I already see that I'm going to prefer a flint lighter over piezoelectric any day! Me thinks a matte black Old Boy isn't too far off!
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Quote Originally Posted by Machurtado View Post
    Just out in an order for my first Savinelli! It's going to be a 602 tortuga I can't wait to get it.
    Savinelli Tortuga Pipe - 602 Smooth - Egg

My next purchase will be a meerschaum just not totally sure what to look for in one of those.
    Nice looking Peterson. I've been thinking about my first Meerschaum as well, but need to read up on the forum here.
    It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by phinz View Post
    Buy yourself a cob and a pouch of Carter Hall. That's a *great* way to try it and see if you like the whole act of pipe smoking, and you won't be out any significant amount of money if you decide that it's not for you. Cobs are cheap but smoke very well (and very easily), and Carter Hall is a good codger blend that smokes easily as well. PM me and I can recommend a forum of pipe smokers that are *extremely* welcoming to noobs and very encouraging when it comes to learning all the ins and outs of pipe smoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Here's my personal view on things:

While I'm sure it's merely an effort to be helpful, it's NEVER cool to recruit for another "party" while attending someone else's. To me, it's like walking around Macy's, telling people about a sale at Sak's. It's just bad form in every regard. Add to that, being insulting and critical of one's fellow BOTL just seems unnecessary and rude. Had the community actually done anything to deserve such an attack, that would be one thing, but to simply 'volunteer' such commentary again seems to lack taste, gratitude and respect.

Please forgive my ignorance, but isn't a hobby-centric forum, like Puff, all about getting the most out of your hobby? And as such, isn't it a disservice to not provide it's members every opportunity there is to learn more about their hobby? Nowhere in phinz's post does he disparage this community, all I see was that he was offering additional resources to ColdSmoker to investigate if he (ColdSmoker) took the initiative to PM him. An offer of an all Pipe forum and not one that is a sub-forum of a Cigar forum, and a forum that isn't run by pipe snobs. (That's how I read his post)

So Don, let me ask you, do you just shop at Macy's, or eat at one restaurant, and did you only attend just one school? If not, how did you learn about those other places? Did you just look on one website, read one book, talked to just one person? It would be naive to think that Puff offers all things to all pipe smokers. And where in phinz's post does he even mention this forum, let alone be critical and rude of the members here?

And using your analogy, what would you do if you were at Macy's with a friend, and that friend was looking at something that you just bought at Sac's on sale? Would it be bad form to tell your friend that he could get the same thing for less at Sac's, or would you just let him pay more than he should? And if you did tell him, does that mean that both of you would never shop at Macy's again? I would think that telling your friend would show good taste, and be met with gratitude and respect from your friend.

Just my 2 pennies...
    Last edited by NomoMoMo; 04-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    NomoMoMo's Cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/nomomomo
    Sarcasm is wasted on cats...

Quote Originally Posted by NomoMoMo View Post
    And using your analogy, what would you do if you were at Macy's with a friend, and that friend was looking at something that you just bought at Sac's on sale? Would it be bad form to tell your friend that he could get the same thing for less at Sac's, or would you just let him pay more than he should?
    That would be the equivalent of simply sending Coldsmoke a PM, which ColdSmoke could do with what he wished. As it was, he announced it over Macy's PA system.

Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast