Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1269

Whats your latest pipe purchase?

This is a discussion on Whats your latest pipe purchase? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Edgeworth Sliced? Fascist! This was the only tobacco I smoked (apart from some brief diversions which proved the validity of ...

Re: Whats your latest pipe purchase?

Edgeworth Sliced? Fascist!

This was the only tobacco I smoked (apart from some brief diversions which proved the validity of my choice) in my first pipe incarnation.

Fascist!

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Edgeworth Sliced? Fascist!

This was the only tobacco I smoked (apart from some brief diversions which proved the validity of my choice) in my first pipe incarnation.

Fascist!
    LOL. So as a devout Efgeworth smoker perhaps you can help me with two things...

1) My tin reads "Made in the United Kingdom under license from the successor to the house of Edgeworth, Richmond Virginia USA" on the side. Any idea on the age?

2) Have you tried and of the "made in the EU" (Orlik I'm guessing) stuff and, if so, was it worth a dang?

I appreciate any info you can share and I'm really glad I didn't post a pic of this....
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

1) My tin reads "Made in the United Kingdom under license from the successor to the house of Edgeworth, Richmond Virginia USA" on the side. Any idea on the age?

2) Have you tried and of the "made in the EU" (Orlik I'm guessing) stuff and, if so, was it worth a dang?

I appreciate any info you can share and I'm really glad I didn't post a pic of this....
    Here's a link, not sure if it'll answer all your questions or not: Relax with Edgeworth - Neill's Blog - For smoking pipe and vintage tobacco collectors
    Wilson Roa (aka: Will)
    www.wilsonroaphotography.com

First of all, once again, Fascist! Three Nuns is another one of my favourite lost tobaccos.

I smoked Edgeworth Sliced throughout the 80s and into the 90s pretty much exclusively. I almost always bought it in pouches. Their design was like the ornate ancient tin you sometines see. I've got the last of my empty pouches somewhere. It also came in tins as I remember, light blue in colour, but I can't remember the design. I think they were plainer than the pouches. All mine were marked with the same blurb you mention. So earliest for your tins is mid 1970s to the end of production which was, I think in the early years of this century. Given the marking in ounces and grams, I'd go for late 80s into the 90s if it was a British retailed tin. Later than that and the marking in ounces would be gone, I'd think.

I had some of the Ready-Rubbed on occasion, but that was a pale shadow of the real thing. Much like the current RR Three Nuns. Last Edgeworth I had was a pouch I laid away when I gave up the pipe in the mid 90s. I smoked that about 4 or 5 years ago. With maybe 15+ years age on it the tobacco was magnificent. As I remembered it but more so. You are a lucky man...

If there is a current production of the sliced variety I would be interested (but will probably find that it isn't available in the UK...)

And may I end with...

Fascist!

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

this page was most interesting to read. Ahh, vintage tobacco. Just like a well aged cigar, they must really be a treasure to experience. Kudos to those, savvy enough to find them. And if all I ever get out of it is their view of how great they were, than that's plenty.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

I didn't buy it, but my stepdaughter bought it for my birthday.

Whats your latest pipe purchase?-c360_2013-04-03-18-12-29.jpg

Whats your latest pipe purchase?-c360_2013-04-03-18-12-29.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sychodelix View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C360_2013-04-03-18-12-29.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	76458
    Nice one Jason. How does it smoke?
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    this page was most interesting to read. Ahh, vintage tobacco. Just like a well aged cigar, they must really be a treasure to experience. Kudos to those, savvy enough to find them. And if all I ever get out of it is their view of how great they were, than that's plenty.
    Greed. It's all down to greed as far as I'm concerned. And perthaps a touch of dementia. Forgetting what you have bought.

I haven't (as yet) bought any tobacco specifically to age. I might now buy far too much of the Germain's Rich Dark Flake that I've just "discovered". But that would be out of pure greed.

And a warning:

Memento mori.

I've got 6 or 7 kilos of tobacco "in store". I'm 51. This level of tobacco isn't a "problem" as yet. But give me another ten years or so and it might be. My obsessive nature is unlikely to rein things in; rather the opposite. Will my raddled lungs still be up to the task? I'm already concerned that the 45 odd cases of wine that I've got in bond (not to mention what's already been delivered) might just be a bit much for me to handle before my demise.

But perhaps more importantly, will the tobacco survive? I'm of the opinion that there will be a slide into nothingness of tobacco given enough time. It may take many decades, but there will be an end to the "it just keeps getting better" period and the "it just faded away" time will come. For some tobaccos this might be sooner than you think. Like wine, only some are suitable for aging and benefit from it. Highly topped aromatics are the likely candidates for the "consume fresh" tag. I'm unlikely to bother with the 35, maybe 40 odd year old unopened pouch of Borkum Riff that I got as part of an eBay pipe lot. Not great when new and unlikely to get better. Never smoked this blend to my memory and, on advice, unlikely to ever do so.

Now. Who am I again?

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post

Now. Who am I again?
    You're not who you think you are.
    Get out of my mansion. Get out of my Bentley and vintage cellar now. Bluntly put, stop impersonating me and give me back my wallet and credentials, you... You impostor ( ;
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Nice one Jason. How does it smoke?
    Smokes very cool, with a great draw. I really don't even know for sure what type of wood it is, but it works very well with it. The bowl doesn't get hot enough to handle, either.

Quote Originally Posted by sychodelix View Post
    Smokes very cool, with a great draw. I really don't even know for sure what type of wood it is, but it works very well with it. The bowl doesn't get hot enough to handle, either.
    Looks like it might be olive wood but it is hard to tell from a photo.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Looks like it might be olive wood but it is hard to tell from a photo.
    Looks like olive wood to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    You're not who you think you are.
    Get out of my mansion. Get out of my Bentley and vintage cellar now. Bluntly put, stop impersonating me and give me back my wallet and credentials, you... You impostor ( ;
    The blown Bentley or the cooking model?

Should be receiving my commissioned square shank stubby poker from Sandahl pipes in a few days, I'll post pics when it arrives :-)

Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast