Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Update on WA Internet Tobacco Sale Ban/Law

This is a discussion on Update on WA Internet Tobacco Sale Ban/Law within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I know this has been discussed before on Puff so I wanted to throw in this update. I just read ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Update on WA Internet Tobacco Sale Ban/Law

I know this has been discussed before on Puff so I wanted to throw in this update. I just read a post by Ted at smokingpipes.com on another forum and he informed us that licensed vendors can still ship pipe tobacco to WA! I just wanted to pass this along to any BOTL in WA who want to order online. From reading the text of the law online it seemed like a total ban. I'd contact Ted Swearingen either here or at smokingpipes.com for more information.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Re: Update on WA Internet Tobacco Sale Ban/Law

Wow, that's great news. I admit I felt bad for Washington residents being deprived of good baccy.

Thanks for spreading the word!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Good Stuff!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

If for some reason you still can't get it from a vendor you prefer I can be the WA connection down here in Oregon... I make it to the Portland / Vancouver area bi-weekly at the very least. Thanks for the update John!

So who is banned from shipping tobacco into Washington? Is it just regular people? As in 'no trades'?

This is a good question. Hopefully Ted will pop in to this thread and let us know. I just did a web search and everything I can find says it is illegal to ship anything except cigars. I also noticed that The Tobacco Barn in California says it can only ship cigars to Washington. Perhaps there is some sort of special license a vendor must obtain?

To clarify, I had posted this on the other forum in response to a question from a guy in England who wanted to ship tobacco to a friend in the US:

"The only place where it is illegal to ship pipe tobacco in the US is to the State of Washington which passed a State law prohibiting it. It's a felony there. There is no Federal law (yet.)

Ted replied:

"Licensed retailers and wholesalers can still ship tobacco to Washington, however."
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 02-15-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

For those who may wish to bomb someone in WA, keep in mind it takes a search warrant to open and search first class mail.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

Aw, it's not like we were going to pay attention to the law or anything...

Oops! I mean of course, we are! Nothing to see here...

Removed per request

They could repackage at the factory. The wording would change from "pipe tobacco" to "cigar filler, wrapper not included" or some such. Ain't that how RYO was changed to "pipe tobacco"? ; )

Thanks for the 411 John. When I was looking for Anny Kake last year I checked with P&C and they stated they could not ship pipe tobacco to WA. Maybe this has changed?

SmokinTaz if you do 1 GIANT order I can receive it and meet you around Seattle or something. :-)

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

I have to wonder if my beloved ropes could get through. They being more cigar like in appearance, and also as doubling as chewing baccy.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

We will continue to ship to Washington state until the Federal Government, USPS, or UPS tells us we can't. I can't speak to the way other web retailers are doing business, but this is our attitude at Smokingpipes.com
    Sales Manager | Smokingpipes.com
    ted.swearingen@smokingpipes.com

Quote Originally Posted by tedswearingen View Post
    We will continue to ship to Washington state until the Federal Government, USPS, or UPS tells us we can't. I can't speak to the way other web retailers are doing business, but this is our attitude at Smokingpipes.com
    Way to go smokingpipes.com!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast