Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pipe Tobacco for RYO cigarettes

This is a discussion on Pipe Tobacco for RYO cigarettes within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Search turned up little on this subject: Havent smoked cigarettes for a while now, but at the local head shop ...

Dom

Pipe Tobacco for RYO cigarettes

Search turned up little on this subject:

Havent smoked cigarettes for a while now, but at the local head shop I saw that I could get rolling papers+filters+a little hand roller for about $8 and the guy threw in 2 baggies of (generic) cigarette tobacco.

Im used to smoking Reds, and this tobacco comes pretty close, but I was thinking that before I buy some higher scale "cigarette" tobacco (which is very expensive compared to pipe tobacco) I'd ask here to see if anyone had any experience w/ rolling cigarettes w/ pipe tobacco?

Ive never smoked pipe tobacco so i wouldn't even know where to start. All i really know is tht pipe tobacco is sold significantly moister than cigarette tobacco, so id prob have to dry it out... or do they sell "dryer" pipe tobaccos?

Thanks

Re: Pipe Tobacco for RYO cigarettes

Are you planning on inhaling?!? If so I would steer away from pipe tobacco.

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Jivey View Post
    Are you planning on inhaling?!? If so I would steer away from pipe tobacco.
    Yeah, Id like to smoke it like a cigarette (WITH Filter) but would rather have pipe tobacco taste and smell over cigarette tobacco.

I would not roll pipe tobacco as cigarettes due to the differences between the modern cigarette and pipe tobacco. They will not burn as well, not meant to be inhaled, and would be difficult to do so(in my opinion); that said, Prince Albert (a common OTC, and others I assume) was once marketed as pipe and cigarette tobacco, though most did not inhale at that time (from what I hear).

There are a few ryo tobaccos being marketed as "pipe cut tobacco" or similar, that have gotten around the ryo tax, Daughters & Ryan is one of these brands that is supposedly good for cigs but not great as pipe tobacco. An aromatic pipe tobacco or other similar flavored pipey-smelling types will be much too wet to make a cigarette, I have tried, they cannot be dried enough to work.

Prince Albert or Sir Walter are the only 2 that i enjoy and that I have made a decent cig out of... I tried yorktown and redwoods but still think PA is the best as a ryo. it smokes like a cig in every way...thats if ur lookin for regular cig action.

There are a few crossover blends I could think of. As has been stated, the RYO "pipe" blends are mostly a way to obfuscate existing cigarette taxes.

But, in addition to picking up some RYO and building some cigarettes. . .let me urge you to pick up a cheap smoke-shop pipe and try some (very) stout pipe blends. You won't find the proper blends at your local store though. Pipe smoking in the USA revolves around milder blends and aromatics. You might find that you like that angle. But, for now, there's stuff available that is truly strong enough that you won't feel any need to inhale.

I smoke a pipe 90% of the time. Reds the other 10%. And that ratio continues toward pipe-heavy as I experience more of what the pipe world has to offer. It's to the point where I only smoke cigarettes out of convenience. Because pipes are not only more flavorful, but also way, way higher in the nicotine delivery department.

PM me, and we'll get you set up with some options.

No longer a community member.

The only think I have to say here is, Prince Albert pipe tobacco is burley, and I believe nothing else but burley....the 50% of a cigarette that is actually tobacco, is burley tobacco also....I'm just saying.....imho, when I smoke PA, I taste a cigarette, but a much better tasting cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Havent smoked cigarettes for a while now
    Then why start again?
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish DirtyBlackSocks's Avatar

I would think the paper would burn much faster than the tobacco and leave you with a bunch of pipe tobacco falling to the ground...

If you want to smoke pipe tobacco then get yourself a pipe.

In the long run you do save money - and after a few months of smoking you actually can inhale certain blends after exhaling half the hit in order to let the smoke cool down (just as with cigars).

My "Why you should switch from cigars/cigarettes to pipes" pitch summary:

- Pipe smoking is about 10x cheaper than cigars or cigarettes.
    - Worried about humidity for cigars, freshness for cigarettes: Pipe tobacco in a mason jar stays perfectly stored for generations.
    - Convenience factor? Yes, it's easier to carry around a stick or a pack. But, for day-to-day smoking, there are pipe blends that are 5 min smokes, 50 min smokes, 2 hour smokes. Need to take break for 10 minutes? No problem. The pipe will go out on its own. You can always relight. The pipe conforms to your life, not the other way around.
    - Did I mention it's like 10x cheaper?
    - And. . .I don't know cigars so I can't speak to them. . .but there are hundreds of really amazing pipe tobacco blends out there. Stuff that's been around for hundreds of years. People make their living dreaming up new, interesting blends to try out. Cigarettes all taste basically the same, and there's really only a couple manufacturers.

All those blends that have the , Mint, Mild, mellow, red or regular are Cigarette tobacco packaged as pipe "CUT" tobacco. RYO cig tobacco was taxed close to +400% so now a 5 oz bag cost 20.00 dollars and was 5.00. To get around the tax law they now package it as pipe tobacco. Soon of course the Gov will change this and pipe smokers will see taxes increase as well.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish DirtyBlackSocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEnormous View Post
    My "Why you should switch from cigars/cigarettes to pipes" pitch summary:

- Pipe smoking is about 10x cheaper than cigars or cigarettes.
    - Worried about humidity for cigars, freshness for cigarettes: Pipe tobacco in a mason jar stays perfectly stored for generations.
    - Convenience factor? Yes, it's easier to carry around a stick or a pack. But, for day-to-day smoking, there are pipe blends that are 5 min smokes, 50 min smokes, 2 hour smokes. Need to take break for 10 minutes? No problem. The pipe will go out on its own. You can always relight. The pipe conforms to your life, not the other way around.
    - Did I mention it's like 10x cheaper?
    - And. . .I don't know cigars so I can't speak to them. . .but there are hundreds of really amazing pipe tobacco blends out there. Stuff that's been around for hundreds of years. People make their living dreaming up new, interesting blends to try out. Cigarettes all taste basically the same, and there's really only a couple manufacturers.
    With regards to pipe tobacco blends vs. cigar blends out there - cigars definitely take the charge. There are thousands if not tens of thousands of different cigar blends out there.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEnormous View Post
    - And. . .I don't know cigars so I can't speak to them. . .
    I know a few cigars.....really nice to speak to....shall I introduce you???

Maine's Resident Masshole Mr.Lordi's Avatar

Granger makes a pretty good cigg. Better pipe tobacco, but a good cigg none the less.

If you can find them, Nat Sherman makes a good, albeit $9.00, pack of ciggs that are all natural and taste pretty damn good, too!

Dom

So the concensus is that it just won't work logistically because of the size and moisture level of the pipe tobacco. Wonder if I could get around this w/ a 50/50 cig to pipe tobacco mix??? Ill have to experiment.

But guys my general goal in this is to have a better tasting AND smelling cigarette, and altho ive never smoked a pipe, they smell absolutely amazing, which is what sparked my intrest in this topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast