Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

I like Johs' pipes

This is a discussion on I like Johs' pipes within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I don't know what it is about them. Many of his shapes are too much for me, but his sandblasts ...

I like Johs' pipes

I don't know what it is about them. Many of his shapes are too much for me, but his sandblasts and more classic English shapes with a Danish twist really yank my crank. I just ordered this guy from smokingpipes (along with more baccy to fuel my Kentucy Aquicition Disorder)....

I plan on playing with longer flakes, some Mac Baren roll cakes, and layering some blends in this guy. I like skinny bowls, and this is one tall skinny mutha.

Johs Sandblasted Billiard Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com

I have one other Johs that's a smooth canted straight dublin, and it smokes like a dream. The draught hole is smack in the bottom center of the bowl, it smokes cool, and once all that orange stain came off on my hands the finish is very nice indeed!

But seriously, I think Johs is making some of the nicest pipes for the buck out there. I've got a few petes that are nicely made, but they don't have the little touches in fit and finish that give them that handmade feel. Every Johs pipe is carved by one guy. I like that! His shapes can be a bit "distinctive" shall we say, and he makes a lot of brandy shaped bowls and freehand shapes that I'm not really a huge fan of. However, if one was in the market for a good danish freehand, Johs would be the place I'd send them in a heartbeat. Who else is making ring-grained sandblasted, plateau rimmed bent dublin freehands for less than 80 bucks? And for a handmade pipe? Peanuts.

If you're in the market for a sub $100 pipe, and are into the danish aesthetic, I'd encourage you to give Johs' work a look. For less than the price of any Stanwell, you can have a one of a kind, handmade work of art.

Oh yea, and did I mention mine smokes like a million bucks? Hope this one will too.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Re: I like Johs' pipes

Here is a great video for Johs lovers. Just thought I'd post it in case you hadn't seen it.

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

I had a Johs freehand that was a terrific smoker and beautiful pipe, but I traded it off as I discovered that freehands aren't "me." There was a lot of talk about his pipes here a year ago, I'm surprised he hasn't maintained popularity. I really like some of his classic shape interpretations, although I wish he didn't tend towards slender shanks on many of them. He also does very nice looking stains, but they tend to leave orange marks on your hands for a while when they are new.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    ...I wish he didn't tend towards slender shanks on many of them.
    I've been trying to figure out what exactly it is that doesn't do it for me, and I think this is it. I want to like these pipes, but the proportions just seem "off" to my sensibilities.

You guys are very right about the shanks. My dublin is really bowl heavy, and has an absolute pencil shank. The above pipe seems to be more balance with it's slender bowl as well.

Yeah, his shapes are "unique" at times for sure LOL! Every now and again, he really hits the nail on the head though.

There's a rediculously large lumberman on smokingpipes that I'd be into if I liked big pipes. Much bigger than 3/4" in bowl diameter, and I start to worry though.

Some of his pipes are huge, that's for certain. The freehand I had had over a 2" deep bowl, and that wasn't even one of his "giants!"
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

No longer a community member.

i almost grabbed an acorn he made, it was pretty sweet lookin.

im sure ill grab one at some point :P

Puffer Fish with many spikes x6ftundx's Avatar

does anyone know if he does consignment work for individuals? If so anyone have contact info for him?

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x6ftundx View Post
    does anyone know if he does consignment work for individuals? If so anyone have contact info for him?
    He did for us. I'd just contact him directly.

Gaden Pibemagerie
    - Doris & Mogens Johansen -
    Møllevej 1d, Ravenhøj
    9900 Frederikshavn
    Denmark
    Tel.: 9848 4900
    E-mail: johs@gadenpiber.dk
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Update: As expected, this pipe is drilled perfect, and smokes phenomenal for only being smoked 2x. Not a single gurgle, and it only gets a teeny bit hot at times, having only smoked MacB's club blend in it. I have full confidence that this will be an amazing pipe once broken in.

Johs will get more of my money if he keeps making pipes like this.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

< bump >

Well, I just picked this one up for a friend who gave me $40 and asked me to find him a working estate pipe.

Very masculine, very simple - for a newish piper I think this is a good choice.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    < bump >

Well, I just picked this one up for a friend who gave me $40 and asked me to find him a working estate pipe.

Very masculine, very simple - for a newish piper I think this is a good choice.
    Not a bad choice for a not-newish piper either, IMO - nice pick up!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
    I don't know what it is about them. Many of his shapes are too much for me, but his sandblasts and more classic English shapes with a Danish twist really yank my crank. I just ordered this guy from smokingpipes (along with more baccy to fuel my Kentucy Aquicition Disorder)....

I plan on playing with longer flakes, some Mac Baren roll cakes, and layering some blends in this guy. I like skinny bowls, and this is one tall skinny mutha.

Johs Sandblasted Billiard Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com

I have one other Johs that's a smooth canted straight dublin, and it smokes like a dream. The draught hole is smack in the bottom center of the bowl, it smokes cool, and once all that orange stain came off on my hands the finish is very nice indeed!

But seriously, I think Johs is making some of the nicest pipes for the buck out there. I've got a few petes that are nicely made, but they don't have the little touches in fit and finish that give them that handmade feel. Every Johs pipe is carved by one guy. I like that! His shapes can be a bit "distinctive" shall we say, and he makes a lot of brandy shaped bowls and freehand shapes that I'm not really a huge fan of. However, if one was in the market for a good danish freehand, Johs would be the place I'd send them in a heartbeat. Who else is making ring-grained sandblasted, plateau rimmed bent dublin freehands for less than 80 bucks? And for a handmade pipe? Peanuts.

If you're in the market for a sub $100 pipe, and are into the danish aesthetic, I'd encourage you to give Johs' work a look. For less than the price of any Stanwell, you can have a one of a kind, handmade work of art.

Oh yea, and did I mention mine smokes like a million bucks? Hope this one will too.
    I love that pipe. The rustication is similar to my Alpha Cremlin, which is why I love this one so much, the shape is almost a dead ringer for it

Johs Smooth Bent Brandy Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com