Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 326 of 601 FirstFirst ... 226 276 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 376 426 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by ProbateGeek Jim I had assumed you were following all the dailies, and would spot this photo from ...

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Jim I had assumed you were following all the dailies, and would spot this photo from last night's pipe thread. Might be nice to try "working" from home.
    Especially if you call that work. Somehow I never checked last night's smoking journal. Sorry! No excuse!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

No longer a community member.

Gatlinburlier Pistachio Peak in a bent Willard

Old Gowrie in the 811 again, this time DGT'ed overnight - very nice.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Virtual crossposting from the night thread, I'm here to report on some Royal Yacht burning in the Darth Rader. Very nice. Early round today, then on to Utica, Oriskany, and suntan.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

PA in a MM cob during my drive up the mountain to work.

My stomach wasn't too happy today, so I wanted something mild but without even a hint of sweetness so I popped open a jar of Walnut. It is not one of my favorite tobaccos, but was just what the doctor ordered today.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Wow. You can make 28% and still pass?! Now that's a grading curve.
    No, that's me working my fool head off all semester! Passed easily, now on to tomorrow's tests: Microbial Physiology, Genetics, and Cellular Biology.

No longer a community member.

Gatlinburlier Arrow Almond in a Dr. G. with some decaf Starbucks breakfast blend

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    No, that's me working my fool head off all semester! Passed easily, now on to tomorrow's tests: Microbial Physiology, Genetics, and Cellular Biology.
    Glad you did well on it, but it's still "different". Had I carried a 100% on every test going into the final but then failed it, I'd have had an F to show for it.

Just some plain ol' Sugar Barrel this morning.

When I went through my undergrad in Computer Science at GA Tech nearly everyone was watching the curve and calculating what was needed to yield a C, B or A depending on the class. Curves could be huge depending on the class or professor, especially in the common non-major requirements like Electromagnetism, Differential Equations, etc. Your discussion reminds me of the "good" old days...

Old Gowrie again, this time in the trusty CG. This blend has been moved into my top 5.

Glad you did well on it, but it's still "different". Had I carried a 100% on every test going into the final but then failed it, I'd have had an F to show for it.

Marking on a curve is pretty ubiquitous. I'm a bit concerned about it in certain cases. I really don't want to be treated by a doctor who just passed their finals (or perhaps worse - their Viva) on the curve on a result of, say, even 75%. Tough if you suffer from something in the missing 25%...

Wrong thread, but I tried a "musketball" of Germain's Rich Dark Flake in an S-M Marling's Make Lovat last night. I'll be rubbing out my tobacco in future...
    Last edited by steinr1; 05-02-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

And quite right too. The pendulum has just started to swing back in the UK towards one-shot final exams again, at least for grade schools. They were finding that students increasingly less well qualified for Further Education with staged and coursework based "exams". Coursework in particular proved itself to be of little use in assessing the true knowledge and potential of people. But then again, the modern view is that we don't want to brand anyone as a "loser". Especially where that is deserved. Coursework helps prevent that.

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Yeah. Luckily, our final was only 300 of 1050 points for the class, the other three tests were 650. A few really good grades on those really took the pressure off.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post

Wrong thread, but I tried a "musketball" of Germain's Rich Dark Flake in an S-M Marling's Make Lovat last night. I'll be rubbing out my tobacco in future...
    What went wrong?

I'm finding that Old Gowerie and it's semi-rubbed out flakes like to the wadded and stuffed with some authority (almost like a musket ball). Better burn and flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    What went wrong?

I'm finding that Old Gowerie and it's semi-rubbed out flakes like to the wadded and stuffed with some authority (almost like a musket ball). Better burn and flavor.
    Just couldn't keep the damned thing alight. No problems in the same pipe when rubbed out. A bit more effort, but I'm happy to put in the work.

Clearly the pipe was a Barling's Make, not a Marling's Make. Perhaps that was the problem. I can't afford those as they have never been made.

I'm now awaiting the outrage of all Marling's Make pipe owners...