Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 327 of 601 FirstFirst ... 227 277 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 377 427 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,905 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Stonedog When I went through my undergrad in Computer Science at GA Tech nearly everyone was watching ...

  
  1. #4891

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    When I went through my undergrad in Computer Science at GA Tech nearly everyone was watching the curve and calculating what was needed to yield a C, B or A depending on the class. Curves could be huge depending on the class or professor, especially in the common non-major requirements like Electromagnetism, Differential Equations, etc. Your discussion reminds me of the "good" old days...
    Got some Dart Mix in a cob and no darts! Too nice a day!

    I'm not talking about a curve for the mark, though, Jon. I ran into that immediately, first semester, physics. We took the first exam a couple of weeks in. It was clear that I had not learned the material, despite being interested in the material and payed attention. I got it back with a 30 on it. Crushed. I'd never seen a 30. Hell, I'd hardly ever experienced anything in the 70s. I took my exam paper, my head tucked between my shoulders, went to the registrars office and switched to chemistry. Later that day, I found out it was the second highest grade in the class. Oh well. Stephen Hawking seems to have filled in for me nicely.

    Hey, I believe in the curve! But, if you finish in the bottom on the exam, with a terrible score, showing no grasp of the subject whatsoever, you fail, no matter what you did coming in. This defends against other people doing your homework, assuming homework means anything. Weekly exams can give some weight to a shallow understanding of a limited set of the material, too, where the student really didn't "know" what he was doing.

    By the way, the notorious "getting copies of the exam questions" almost doesn't make sense in the context of my college schooling. Every exam was unique. The cheating scandals of recent years wouldn't have even been possible. One couldn't come into class knowing the questions, because the professor only mimeographed the questions right before coming into class -- and they'd have probably been handwritten.
    Last edited by freestoke; 05-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  2. #4892

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Just couldn't keep the damned thing alight. No problems in the same pipe when rubbed out. A bit more effort, but I'm happy to put in the work.
    I think you may be misunderestimating the truthiness of musketballistication, viz., just how tight a musketball needs to be. It's pretty tight, relative to what you'd pack a full fill of tobacco, but it still has an easy draw at this, what would be, for a normally filled pipe of ribbon, neutron star density. Otherwise, the smoke is sorta "draughty" and hot. I'm starting to get the hang of it, though.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  3. #4893

    Snuff-hound steinr1's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Hey, I believe in the curve! But, if you finish in the bottom on the exam, with a terrible score, showing no grasp of the subject whatsoever, you fail, no matter what you did coming in. This defends against other people doing your homework, assuming homework means anything. Weekly exams can give some weight to a shallow understanding of a limited set of the material, too, where the student really didn't "know" what he was doing.
    I'm not getting this. Are you talking about cutting up the (probably) Gaussian distribution of the actual exam results to ensure that a given proportion of the students get A, B, C, etc. regardless of the median or skew of the distribution? I think perhaps not. I've never agreed with that type of scheme as it allows a poor cohort to "over-perform" and one that is generally high achieving get a bad deal.

    In a vague attempt to keep on-thread, I just finished a walk on the Downs in the company of a meerschaum Dublin (or is it some form of Zulu) of Ennerdale Flake.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

  4. #4894

    Snuff-hound steinr1's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I think you may be misunderestimating the truthiness of musketballistication, viz., just how tight a musketball needs to be. It's pretty tight, relative to what you'd pack a full fill of tobacco, but it still has an easy draw at this, what would be, for a normally filled pipe of ribbon, neutron star density. Otherwise, the smoke is sorta "draughty" and hot. I'm starting to get the hang of it, though.
    I am probably not doing correctly. I screwed up the ball pretty tight and placed it in the pipe resting just off the heel, gripping the sides. The draw seemed normalish. I was able to keep the ball alight, but it started to get a bit too hot. I'm sure it would be bliss if I got it right.

    I am however, very lazy and will probably stick to what works for me and not put in the effort.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

  5. #4895

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I'm not getting this. Are you talking about cutting up the (probably) Gaussian distribution of the actual exam results to ensure that a given proportion of the students get A, B, C, etc. regardless of the median or skew of the distribution?
    To allay any fears that I am off thread, I'm onto another cob of Dart Mix. Quasi-musketballed. I can musketball ANYTHING!


    Actually, yes, I guess I am doing just that. The curve defends against the situation I arrived at, while attending William and Mary. I had Prof. Haley, "The Comet", for second semester calculus. A friend in the dorm had Prof. Wang, I think his name was. I tutored this friend, hours on end, helping him with his homework. Thick as a brick, but he did try. I made a D, which was the second highest grade in my class, "The Comet" handing out 1 C, 1 D, and 22 Fs. The C came from a high school graduate going directly into summer school with an 800 (perfect) on his math SAT. Prof Wang gave out no grade lower than a C, with my friend making an A. Statistically speaking , a given class will contain a Gaussian distribution of good and bad students -- more or less. At least on a curve, you don't get completely shafted, relative to the other professors' rigor or lack thereof. Or perhaps I should say, merely for the rigor, not as likely to get shafted.
    Last edited by freestoke; 05-02-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  6. #4896

    Snuff-hound steinr1's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    To allay any fears that I am off thread, I'm onto another cob of Dart Mix. Quasi-musketballed. I can musketball ANYTHING!


    Actually, yes, I guess I am doing just that. The curve defends against the situation I arrived at, while attending William and Mary. I had Prof. Haley, "The Comet", for second semester calculus. A friend in the dorm had Prof. Wang, I think his name was. I tutored this friend, hours on end, helping him with his homework. Thick as a brick, but he did try. I made a D, which was the second highest grade in my class, "The Comet" handing out 1 C, 1 D, and 22 Fs. The C came from a high school graduate going directly into summer school with an 800 (perfect) on his math SAT. Prof Wang gave out no grade lower than a C, with my friend making an A. Statistically speaking , a given class will contain a Gaussian distribution of good and bad students -- more or less. At least on a curve, you don't get completely shafted, relative to the other professors' rigor or lack thereof. Or perhaps I should say, merely for the rigor, not as likely to get shafted.
    I can see your point in this situation.

    And to ensure that this post conforms to standards, I'm off for a bowl of Rich Dark Flake. Fully rubbed out in the same pipe I used in the "Great Musketball Disaster of '13" (as it will be known henceforth). I anticipate success.
    Last edited by steinr1; 05-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

  7. #4897

    Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    I am intriqued by the many different tobaccos smoked by the same people on different days. I was laways told it took at least three bowls of the same tobacco in the same pipe to truly taste the tobacco. Other wise you were tasting a combination of the old and new tobacco. Any thoughts on that? It would certainly seem to open up the pleasure of pipe smoking if this isn't true.

    Also I have always smoked fairly expensive briar pipes -- I have some that are 40 plus years old and they smoke like a charm. But I am further intriqued by the number of mentions of cob pipes on this thread. Are you talking corn cob pipes? Are they really that good? Maybe I need to broaden my experience and try one -- or isn't it worth it?

    Thank you for taking the time to be patient with me and reply to my questions.

    Michael

  8. #4898

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    I am intriqued by the many different tobaccos smoked by the same people on different days. I was laways told it took at least three bowls of the same tobacco in the same pipe to truly taste the tobacco. Other wise you were tasting a combination of the old and new tobacco. Any thoughts on that? It would certainly seem to open up the pleasure of pipe smoking if this isn't true.
    The point is certainly moot whether tasting the "pure" tobacco is all it's cracked up to be -- at least in most cases. I mix a lot of tobaccos anyhow, never mind one after the other in the same bowl. I use a different pipe for this or that, but a lot of my smoking is pretty indiscriminate -- guess I'm just an easy smoke. I wouln't smoke Stonehaven in an Ennerdale ghosted pipe...probably. But if I did, I'd still probably like it. Bacon is a good additive and it's good on its own, too. Like that.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  9. #4899

    Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Everything goes better with Bacon! That is a beautiful pipe in your picture. I'm jealous! Thank you for taking the time to reply.

    Michael


    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    The point is certainly moot whether tasting the "pure" tobacco is all it's cracked up to be -- at least in most cases. I mix a lot of tobaccos anyhow, never mind one after the other in the same bowl. I use a different pipe for this or that, but a lot of my smoking is pretty indiscriminate -- guess I'm just an easy smoke. I wouln't smoke Stonehaven in an Ennerdale ghosted pipe...probably. But if I did, I'd still probably like it. Bacon is a good additive and it's good on its own, too. Like that.

  10. #4900

    Old Man Nachman's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Cobs are not elegant, but they smoke well. If you buy one, get a Missouri meerschaum. The Chinese made ones are junk.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

  11. #4901

    24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    I am intriqued by the many different tobaccos smoked by the same people on different days. I was laways told it took at least three bowls of the same tobacco in the same pipe to truly taste the tobacco. Other wise you were tasting a combination of the old and new tobacco. Any thoughts on that? It would certainly seem to open up the pleasure of pipe smoking if this isn't true.

    Also I have always smoked fairly expensive briar pipes -- I have some that are 40 plus years old and they smoke like a charm. But I am further intriqued by the number of mentions of cob pipes on this thread. Are you talking corn cob pipes? Are they really that good? Maybe I need to broaden my experience and try one -- or isn't it worth it?

    Thank you for taking the time to be patient with me and reply to my questions.

    Michael
    Michael, you're right that a certain blend will begin to flourish when smoked out of the same pipe consecutively. Why so many will dedicate a pipe to certain blends, or a particular blend of a particular brand for that matter.
    On cobs. Yes, there's a certain nuances one will notice from a clean cob with any given blend. And are certainly one of the best participants to dedicate to a one off blend due to their economic state and nature.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

  12. #4902

    Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    Michael, you're right that a certain blend will begin to flourish when smoked out of the same pipe consecutively. Why so many will dedicate a pipe to certain blends, or a particular blend of a particular brand for that matter.
    On cobs. Yes, there's a certain nuances one will notice from a clean cob with any given blend. And are certainly one of the best participants to dedicate to a one off blend due to their economic state and nature.

  13. #4903

    Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Thanks. That's what I'll do!


    Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Cobs are not elegant, but they smoke well. If you buy one, get a Missouri meerschaum. The Chinese made ones are junk.

  14. #4904

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    To allay any fears that I am off thread, I'm onto another cob of Dart Mix. Quasi-musketballed. I can musketball ANYTHING!


    Actually, yes, I guess I am doing just that. The curve defends against the situation I arrived at, while attending William and Mary. I had Prof. Haley, "The Comet", for second semester calculus. A friend in the dorm had Prof. Wang, I think his name was. I tutored this friend, hours on end, helping him with his homework. Thick as a brick, but he did try. I made a D, which was the second highest grade in my class, "The Comet" handing out 1 C, 1 D, and 22 Fs. The C came from a high school graduate going directly into summer school with an 800 (perfect) on his math SAT. Prof Wang gave out no grade lower than a C, with my friend making an A. Statistically speaking , a given class will contain a Gaussian distribution of good and bad students -- more or less. At least on a curve, you don't get completely shafted, relative to the other professors' rigor or lack thereof. Or perhaps I should say, merely for the rigor, not as likely to get shafted.
    Both instructors are incompetent, at least in their approach to grading. Unless things were very, very odd that term...
    ********.com

  15. #4905

    24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar


     

    Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

    Isn't referencing to educational backgrounds against Puff rules?
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •