Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 328 of 601 FirstFirst ... 228 278 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 378 428 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by bluesman.54 Thanks. That's what I'll do! It may be just me, but of all the cobs I ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    Thanks. That's what I'll do!
    It may be just me, but of all the cobs I have (six, I believe) the Country Gentleman is by far the best and most reliable smoker; I have two of them. And since it hasn't been said yet, the only thing not good about a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe is the crappy stem it comes fitted with; apologies to those who like them. I think we all would encourage you to pick up a Forever Stem (here: 'Forever' Stems), assuming once you try a cob you agree with us that they're smokeworthy.

I can only go a couple of days with briars before I reach for a Country Gentleman, like this banded one with a tortoise Forever Stem.

1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    Isn't referencing to educational backgrounds against Puff rules?
    In Jim's case, the "Haley" is the actual discoverer of the eponymous comet and "Wang" is the discoverer of... well... the wang. I think that it would be churlish to find fault in referencing these historical figures. Sort of like giving Plato a hard time for mentioning the foibles of his old teacher Socrates.

STET
    Last edited by steinr1; 05-03-2013 at 02:53 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    In Jim's case, the "Haley" is the actual discoverer of the eponymous comet
    STET
    I didn't know Jim was that old
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

No longer a community member.

SPS Kentuck Planter in a Brewster

In Jim's case, the "Haley" is the actual discoverer of the eponymous comet
    STET
    Last edited by splattttttt; 05-03-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: double post: delete please.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Think I'm going to give some DMP a try this morning after my physical therapy appt.

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    I was there when they were putting the comet together! As for Wang, how soon we forget the Wang computers, eh?

But Mark is right. Both professors were completely incompetent graders. Although a decent enough teacher, Haley was pretty much insane as far as I could tell. I got every answer right on one test -- every answer -- and he gave me a mark in the low 70s somewhere. Didn't like my artwork.

Sugar Barrel redux this lovely day. About the only complaint would be that it might be a little windy today.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Oh, that Wang

Strictly on topic:

Good morning fellow forum members! Old Gowrie again in the CG.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Beautiful sunny spring day here in The South of England. I'm celebrating with a bowl of Germain's Royal Jersey Perique Mixture in an S-M Barling's Make Guinea Grain Straight Apple. Lovely little pipe bought for about 10 delivered. eBay is a fine place...

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    As for Wang, how soon we forget the Wang computers, eh?
    Certainly not forgotten and possibly not gone. A Wang machine used to be in my late father-in-law's loft and a Zenith CPM O/S machine as well as much else. Probably still there. If only I'd kept my Science of Cambridge (Sinclair) Mk14a bare board Z80 computer; my first "PC". It featured a mighty 256, count them (it won't take long), BYTES of RAM. And you tell the youth of today that, and they won't believe you...

Both professors were completely incompetent graders. Although a decent enough teacher, Haley was pretty much insane as far as I could tell. I got every answer right on one test -- every answer -- and he gave me a mark in the low 70s somewhere. Didn't like my artwork.
    Funny how these things still rankle after all these years. I had a great (unintelligibly Glaswegian) Maths teacher in Secondary school. We once took an exam with 108 questions on it. As most of the class got marks in the 70s at best he decided to simplify things and give the mark as a percentage. I got 108. Consequently he had to work out the real percentage score for the whole class of about 30. He gave me 86% for being a smart-arse and making him work. Seemed fair to me (still the best mark by a wide margin), but I know I got 108% in that exam...

Speaking as an iconoclastic pedant, I think that Middleton tobaccos get a short shrift in the pipe smoking world and that everyone should smoke at least one bowl a day, barring illness or injury, either straight up or mixed with something more substantial (say Dark Birdseye or Kendal's Kentucky), preferably in a cob. Hitting the 56 year old PA, right now, in the Country Gentleman, walking the talk.

By everyone, of course I mean men, women and children over the age of eight. Every session of Congress should open with all the Senators and Congressmen and aides and gallery firing up their USA made Missouri Meerschaums with an American made codger burley. A new MM, a small sample of Middleton, a box of matches with official USA insignia, and a pipe nail would be part of the hand-out goodies for the Congressional Visitors' Tour.
    Last edited by freestoke; 05-03-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

In Jim's case, the "Haley" is the actual discoverer of the eponymous comet and "Wang" is the discoverer of... well... the wang. I think that it would be churlish to find fault in referencing these historical figures. Sort of like giving Plato a hard time for mentioning the foibles of his old teacher Socrates.

STET
    Let us not forget the untiring work of Dr Wanker.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Didn't he work in collabiration with Dr. Titzslinger?
    Had an Epiphany on my commute out of an estate I'm refurbeshing that comin along quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Not an uncommon surname in Germany. There are many Dr Wankers. In fact, Germany is a country that is full of Wankers. Our own Wankers are not to be ignored. Wherever in the world you go, there will always be at least one Wanker.

I once worked for a German manager. He needed to have the locals customs explained to him. In the UK, one answers the phone with a polite "Hello" (although I sometimes go with A Graham Bell's prefered "Ahoy hoy") . In Germany, it is common to bark out your surname. He answered the phone with a loud and sharp "Scheit!"

(I thought I would add: A good translation of "Scheit" would be "Faggot". Doesn't get much better.)

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

The Royal Yacht for my morning commute.

I would certainly not hesitate to pick up another Stanwell Antique estate pipe - this one is perfect, and my best smoker.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?