Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 332 of 601 FirstFirst ... 232 282 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 382 432 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by bluesman.54 You have intriqued me. I ordered two Country Gentlemans and the bits you recommended. After 40 ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    You have intriqued me. I ordered two Country Gentlemans and the bits you recommended. After 40 years of smoking briar pipes I am looking forward to this new experience. Again -- thank you for taking the time to reply and furnish the info you did Brother. I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Michael
    My latent grammarian notions want me to pluralize this as "two Countries Gentleman". But that's just weird.

You may find the first few smokes taste a bit of corn (if the cob was not sufficiently dried - one of mine did), and toward the end of each bowl you'll get a taste of wood as the part of the stem that protrudes into the bowl is slowly burned away. Once that's complete, the Countries Gentleman smoke like a charm.

Enjoy! And please post pictures of your stem(s) when available.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    My latent grammarian notions want me to pluralize this as "two Countries Gentleman". But that's just weird.

You may find the first few smokes taste a bit of corn (if the cob was not sufficiently dried - one of mine did), and toward the end of each bowl you'll get a taste of wood as the part of the stem that protrudes into the bowl is slowly burned away. Once that's complete, the Countries Gentleman smoke like a charm.

Wouldn't it technically be Country Gentlemen?
    You might find that smoke blown out clears your mind of shadows within.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy1982 View Post
    Wouldn't it technically be Country Gentlemen?
    I used to go with "gentlemen" in the plural, but the more I smoke the CGs the more I consider "gentleman" to be almost adjectival, not to mention complimentary. And any phrase containing a postpositive adjective should take its plural on the noun at its beginning.

I obviously need more Royal Yacht to kick in the intellectual afterburners.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply and the info. I will keep it in mind. As to pics -- I am going to have to buy a camera just for this forum. I still shoot film -- a lot of B&W -- and have my own darkroom. But to participate and be a good BOTL I see the time has come where I am forced to go digital. Sheesch!!!! Who'd a think it?

I hear you, Michael. I never had any desire for a digital camera until I joined this site!
    ********.com

No longer a community member.

A bowl of Troost in a MM bent cob

I used to go with "gentlemen" in the plural, but the more I smoke the CGs the more I consider "gentleman" to be almost adjectival, not to mention complimentary. And any phrase containing a postpositive adjective should take its plural on the noun at its beginning.
    Very well. This really brought me back to 5th-8th grade English class!
    You might find that smoke blown out clears your mind of shadows within.

I obviously need more Royal Yacht to kick in the intellectual afterburners.
    It's a model name, with "Country Gentleman" itself being adjectival in nature, so that using it alone to represent the object becomes -- if memory serves, which it frequently does not -- an adjectival noun phrase. Obviously, an apostrophe won't do, so maybe we could take the sheepish way out (one sheep, two sheep) and say six Country Gentleman. The thoroughgoing pedant would dispense with the shorthand altogether and call it six Country Gentleman pipes.

I think a bowl of RY in the CG would hit this spot right now to start the day.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    It's a model name, with "Country Gentleman" itself being adjectival in nature, so that using it alone to represent the object becomes -- if memory serves, which it frequently does not -- an adjectival noun phrase. Obviously, an apostrophe won't do, so maybe we could take the sheepish way out (one sheep, two sheep) and say six Country Gentleman. The thoroughgoing pedant would dispense with the shorthand altogether and call it six Country Gentleman pipes.

I think a bowl of RY in the CG would hit this spot right now to start the day.
    Six Hick Pip(e)s
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

more 221b Series Honeydew with my cherry for breakfast again today. This is a very high fat content smoke and perfect for early spring mornings.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Being a product of Georgia public education in the 80's anything but Six Country Gentlemen just sounds wrong if not pretentious.

I had me some of that Old Gow-reee in a Savunelleee ya'll.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Being a product of Georgia public education in the 80's anything but Six Country Gentlemen just sounds wrong if not pretentious.
    Six redneck social climbers.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Six redneck social climbers.
    Now that's downright insulting.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Now that's downright insulting.
    Good to hear. Thought I might be losing my touch.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Six Hick Pip(e)s
    Anybody else old enough to see this and have "HIX NIX STIX PIX" flash before your eyes?
    ********.com