Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 337 of 601 FirstFirst ... 237 287 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 387 437 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Desertlifter Wessex burley flake. Nope - not slices. Flake. Yum. OK. I've done some searching and had ...

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Wessex burley flake.

Nope - not slices. Flake.

Yum.
    OK.

I've done some searching and had no luck at the 4 venders I do business with.

I've been smoking stupid amounts of PA recently because of a burley craving that hasn't quit for a few weeks. Please, please, please gimme the fatty hook-up on high-grade burley. What do I just GOTTA try, and where do I get it?

Hehe. Thank you, to you, Brian, and to anyone else with suggestions.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    OK.

I've been smoking stupid amounts of PA recently because of a burley craving that hasn't quit for a few weeks. Please, please, please gimme the fatty hook-up on high-grade burley. What do I just GOTTA try, and where do I get it?

The only (I think) burley flake I've had is Solani Aged Burley Flake - good enough for me to order 3 tins (from smokingpipes.com). But now you've got me in the mood for PA...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    The only (I think) burley flake I've had is Solani Aged Burley Flake - good enough for me to order 3 tins. But now you've got me in the mood for PA...
    Sounds good to me. I'll pack a bowl of PA in my meer and go outside and take a look at Saturn and the moon in the 8" reflector. (It's astronomy weather again... a balmy 53 deg out here tonight).

OK.

You want the good news or the bad news?

Okay - the bad news. The blend I was puffing on was part of a blind trade, and hasn't been made for many years. Gotta love geezer-baccy. Picture a milder ODF. I could swear that it had Latakia - I thought it was JKP at first. No Latakia. All burley.

Wessex makes a burley slice now instead, but I've not tried it. I'm thinking that I need to try Solani Aged Burley Flake - this was NOTHING like your OTC burley.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    . . . I'm thinking that I need to try Solani Aged Burley Flake - this was NOTHING like your OTC burley.
    Yup. That's ABF - nothing like any burley I'd ever had before. Do give it a try.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Thank you, Gents.

I have two new burleys to try now.

OK.

To my mind, the Holy Grail of Burleys is Edgeworth Sliced. Not made for a good few years but it does apparently pop up as vintage tins and pouches in the US. The ready rubbed isn't worth a damn.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

No longer a community member.

Velvet in a MM hardwood

I enjoyed the last of the Old Gowrie that I haven't jarred up for aging.

With all this talk of high end burleys, I think I will pop the tin of year old ABF I received a few days ago.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Here's the description of Kendal Kentucky from tobaccoreviews.com: "Kendal Kentucky is a full bodied, full strength tobacco of 100% African grown (Malawi, Uganda and Tanzania) variation of the actual Kentucky seed. These tobaccos are fire-cured which gives them their distinctive aroma and flavor. This is a fairly strong, but exceptionally cool tobacco for the lovers of dark-fired Virginias."
    I'll see your Kendal's Kentucky and raise you one Solani Aged Burley Flake: "This blended flake contains dark brown Burley from Kentucky, light Burley from Brazil, and white Burley from Malawi (southeast Africa). Will developed a unique toasting process to make the blend slightly sweet."

Now I'll have a bowl of the mysterious Prince Albert, which some claim contains a smidge of Virginia.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Clampsmoquero Latakius Vituscan's Avatar

Torben Dansk No. 6 English Delight in a Caminetto.

Caminetto2 by GoerzDagor, on Flickr
    Credo quia absurdum!

While not as pretty as DJ's wares, the Country Gent burns the 1792 Flake well.

Happy Friday, gents.

Clampsmoquero Latakius Vituscan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    To my mind, the Holy Grail of Burleys is Edgeworth Sliced. Not made for a good few years but it does apparently pop up as vintage tins and pouches in the US. The ready rubbed isn't worth a damn.
    This is as close as I have come to Edgeworth...just the thin. However, Robert, you've got me to thinking about the weed...

Edgeworth Plug Slice_Larus_DJB3481 by GoerzDagor, on Flickr

Tobacco Workers Intl Union_DJB3485 by GoerzDagor, on Flickr

While not as pretty as DJ's wares, the Country Gent burns the 1792 Flake well.

Happy Friday, gents.
    On the contrary, Terry, a very pretty pipe! Who is the dapper smoker?

Happy Friday!
    Credo quia absurdum!

Ogden's Walnut Flake in a small straight Billiard. It's been a long time since I smoked some of this stuff. Very fine indeed. I've just packed another bowl...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Actual WALNUT flavored? Or is it just a name like the Middleton Walnut, that's a street name. I've had a few Ogden's samples and liked them immensely. For me this morning, it's just a basic cob of PA and plenty of coffee. Two of the cats were monsters last night, finally threw the miscreants out about 3.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney