Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 338 of 601 FirstFirst ... 238 288 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 388 438 ... LastLast
Results 5,056 to 5,070 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Some Dunhill EMP in my Wizard pipe as I enjoy national go topless day (Jeeps). I'll probably get rained on ...

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Some Dunhill EMP in my Wizard pipe as I enjoy national go topless day (Jeeps). I'll probably get rained on but it's the first time in eight years I'm able to celebrate this most hallowed of holidays.

The old Jeeps were pretty cool, the new SUV ones, not even a little bit. A pickup truck with power windows and air-conditioning is not a Jeep. Anyhow, hope it doesn't rain on your parade, Chris!

For some reason, this TwoDot of Royal Yacht is kicking me in the shins. Another cup of coffee to settle me down.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Actual WALNUT flavored? Or is it just a name like the Middleton Walnut, that's a street name. I've had a few Ogden's samples and liked them immensely. For me this morning, it's just a basic cob of PA and plenty of coffee. Two of the cats were monsters last night, finally threw the miscreants out about 3.
    Not the US pouch blend. I'm puffing away at this today in a bent Jima (@Chris0673 - Chris, how are you getting on with your Jima? I'm very fond of mine.)

A slightly fuller review than "Very fine indeed"...

Walnut Flake is an Old School British Virginia/Burley Flake. Used to be one of my go-to tobaccos in the good old days; the lastest batch isn't quite as good in my opinion. Short and narrow ragged flakes of mid/dark brown colour with flecks of lighter and darker in it. Rubs out easily, packs easily; perfect humidity straight from the pack (two rows of flakes in a small foil sealed plastic tray in a pouch) - but I don't ever feel the need to dry tobacco. It's definitely nutty and with the name being what it is, you can easily imagine walnuts. Quite dry and woody, so the nuts are obviously still in their shells. The burley bitterness (just a touch) adds to the effect. I'm sure that this flake used to be more oily and stronger (On reflection, I'm positive - darker too). Still an iron fist in a velvet glove; a lot of nicotine. Very cool and VERY slow burning - it used to be a favourite with old duffers due to its economy. The initial impression is that this is a Lakeland blend with all that implies, but it isn't. Some of the casing elements are clearly similar, but this is not floral beyond what the tobaccos themselves bring and precious little of that. This is driven by the tobaco, not the casing and certainly not any topping. I'm struggling to make comparisons. Maybe St Bruno, but lighter and nuttier and without the fruity notes. An austere tobacco, nothing like Edgeworth which has recently been discussed (and is definitely the best burley blend ever made...), but has the same "hair-shirt, straight tobacco" qualities. Again, "Very fine indeed".
    Last edited by steinr1; 05-18-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Young Puffer Fish

Peterson Irish Flake in my trusty cob and a venti cup of starbucks. These nice little saturday morning moments almost make the work week worth it. It's a little bit rainy here in mid George so the temperature is just about perfect at 63, think I'll retire to the porch and watch the squirrels play.

Sounds most excellent, Robert! Might want to cut and paste that into the reviews section. It deserves wider circulation.

I'm embarrassed to say that I can't remember who sent me this Patriot Flake, but it has hit the spot each time the past few days that I've had a bowl. The Diplomat endured some channel dredging with the drill the other day and has been a charm since.

Sounds most excellent, Robert! Might want to cut and paste that into the reviews section. It deserves wider circulation.
    Done and done (with a little modification). Glad you enjoyed it. Must post more reviews; the area seems a bit neglected.

Just came in from the shed after the Jima-full of Walnut Flake. I was astounded to find that the small bowl of this pipe had lasted well over an hour (with many relights - this blend tends to this, but what of it?). Most tobaccos don't last more than half that long. The old misers were obviously correct.

This is STRONG stuff. I won't be smoking again until well into the evening.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

The old Jeeps were pretty cool, the new SUV ones, not even a little bit. A pickup truck with power windows and air-conditioning is not a Jeep. Anyhow, hope it doesn't rain on your parade, Chris!
    Jim, I have a 2001 TJ. No she's not an old CJ or an old Willy's but she's my baby. She has never left me sitting and will go d@mn near anywhere I ask her to go.

BTW, that Dunhill EMP went real nice in my Wizard pipe! Got a lot of complements on it this morning. The more I smoke my long pipes the more I like them. I almost never get tongue bite and the smoke is always nice and cool.

When I was 17/18 I had a WWII surplus Willys. If I remember right, it would go about 45 wide out. If you weren't in a hurry, it would take you anywhere. We used to take rides through the woods, up steep hills, through swamps. I eventually broke the transmission. We worked on it for a few weeks, but those old Jeep transmissions had a million parts in them and we could never get it right.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Jim, I have a 2001 TJ. No she's not an old CJ or an old Willy's but she's my baby. She has never left me sitting and will go d@mn near anywhere I ask her to go.
    Yeah, that's Jeep-like, Chris. I was thinking of one of these:

NOT a Jeep, no matter what you say!

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Reminds a bit of these, huh?

1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Yeah, that's Jeep-like, Chris.

A little more than Jeeplike I'd think! lol

Looks like a jeep to me! Now, that abomination that Jim posted is another matter...

It's funny how vehicles change over time. I was telling someone about twenty years younger than I am about hitting the south Georgia swamps in a Ford Ranger, and I realized pretty quickly I had to explain that the Ranger hadn't always been just another version of a little Toyota pick up.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    A little more than Jeeplike I'd think! lol
    Except for that sissy roll bar. A real Jeep is insanely dangerous to ride in and that looks suspiciously on the safe side. Is the front rack for carrying a beer keg or body, drying wet clothing...? I feel like Niles Crane. I honestly cannot imagine what such a weird-shaped thing would be for, especially right in front of the headlights.

The last of the jar of Patriot Flake burning in the Diplomat, on my third cup of coffee, watching Graham McDowell struggling againstThongchai Jaidee.

Yeah, that's Jeep-like, Chris. I was thinking of one of these:

Not a Wrangler, but still a Jeep Jim. The new GC with its Mercedes ML lineage is one fine vehicle and much better than the 05 WK Grand Cherokee I'm driving now.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

I can't believe you guys are still talking about Jeeps, when all I can think about is how to get the word out on national "go topless" day!

About to finish up the scraps from my Marlin Flake with another cup of black coffee.