Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 339 of 601 FirstFirst ... 239 289 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 389 439 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,085 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Stonedog Not a Wrangler, but still a Jeep Jim. The new GC with its Mercedes ML lineage ...

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Not a Wrangler, but still a Jeep Jim. The new GC with its Mercedes ML lineage is one fine vehicle and much better than the 05 WK Grand Cherokee I'm driving now.
    'American Motors set up the first automobile-manufacturing joint venture in the People's Republic of China on January 15, 1984.[23] The result was Beijing Jeep Corporation, Ltd., in partnership with Beijing Automobile Industry Corporation, to produce the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in Beijing. Manufacture continued after Chrysler's buyout of AMC. This joint venture is now part of DaimlerChrysler and DaimlerChrysler China Invest Corporation. "

It can't have air conditioning, power windows OR be made in China. Fiat/Daimler Benz on top of that. Fine vehicle or not, it's not a Jeep.

And just to show how fair I am, this is NOT a Cadillac! It's a pickup truck with air conditioning and power operated, heated leather seats.

We definitely need a "pipe pointing" icon. Now I'll light up another bowl of Sugar Barrel, smug in my justifiably self-righteous appraisal of the situation.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Clampsmoquero Latakius Vituscan's Avatar

This morning I'm starting out with two mugs of Columbia coffee, one in each hand, and GL Pease Renaissance (2002) in a Comoy's Tradition 133.

Comoy's Tradition 133 by GoerzDagor, on Flickr

I had a 1944 Willys GP in the early 1970's. First thing I did was get a local welder to fabricate a roll cage, from the frame, then added a set of seat restraints. The thing was great if you weren't particular about sudden and horrific death! I loved it. Just enough room in it for my photographic equipment, a va-va-voomish female accessory, my dog, the cooler and the ammo case packed with pipes and tobacco.
    Credo quia absurdum!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Except for that sissy roll bar. A real Jeep is insanely dangerous to ride in and that looks suspiciously on the safe side. Is the front rack for carrying a beer keg or body, drying wet clothing...? I feel like Niles Crane. I honestly cannot imagine what such a weird-shaped thing would be for, especially right in front of the headlights.
    That "weird shaped thing" is to keep the Jeep from rolling end over end when going down a particularly steep rock "staircase". Ask me how I know this! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Latakius Vituscan View Post
    This morning I'm starting out with two mugs of Columbia coffee, one in each hand, and GL Pease Renaissance (2002) in a Comoy's Tradition 133.

I had a 1944 Willys GP in the early 1970's. First thing I did was get a local welder to fabricate a roll cage, from the frame, then added a set of seat restraints. The thing was great if you weren't particular about sudden and horrific death! I loved it. Just enough room in it for my photographic equipment, a va-va-voomish female accessory, my dog, the cooler and the ammo case packed with pipes and tobacco.
    DJ, it could not have been a Willy's GP. The Jeeps made by Willy's were designated "MB". Ford made the "GP". Either way...I am envious. My dream car is a 1942-44 Willy's MB. I love the old Jeeps. And although I don't have pics, I was smoking my MM Country Gentleman whilst tooling down the road with the top down yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Yeah, that's Jeep-like, Chris. I was thinking of one of these:

NOT a Jeep, no matter what you say!
    And definitely not a Land Rover. Again one of the proper ones, not those based on the architypal "Chelsea Tractor", the Range Rover. Mk1 or 2 LWB Diesel by preference. Mk3 came with a plastic dash and ain't a Land Rover... Rubbish diesel engines (and the petrol not much better), transmission that leaks profusely by design, slow, vibratory and very, very good. There is nothing you can't fix on them with a bit of ingenuity. I've seen pictures of suspension wishbones replaced with carved hardwood. "Inspired" by the Willys Jeep but a much more practical vehicle for more than light, off-road transport. A Land Rover will go anywhere and do anything. The mud-pluggers tool of choice. Defenders are just fashion accessories as far as I'm concerned.

And with the Land Rover in mind, I'll change my signature...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

DJ, all of yer pipes are beautiful, but that one is my favorite! It's stunning.

For yall arguing about cars, here is my take on it all.

It doesn't matter what ya drive, as long as it's a rat-rod.

Yer rims better be flat red, extra points given for mounting HUGE antique truck rims on it. Yer vehicle better be painted flat black, extra points awarded for shooting a coat of clear-coat to show off killer patina instead of painting. Don't add to the vehicle, only remove objects and body parts. The vehicle you use to build yer rat-rod should be well-loved, extra points for vehicles over 70 years old.

Extra points for: American beer cans used as risers, doing yer own welding, boilerplate, and side-pipes or stacks.

All points deducted for automatic transmissions (you weenie...)

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post

Yer rims better be flat red, extra points given for mounting HUGE antique truck rims on it. Yer vehicle better be painted flat black, extra points awarded for shooting a coat of clear-coat to show off killer patina instead of painting. Don't add to the vehicle, only remove objects and body parts. The vehicle you use to build yer rat-rod should be well-loved, extra points for vehicles over 70 years old.

Extra points for: American beer cans used as risers, doing yer own welding, boilerplate, and side-pipes or stacks.

I think the sort of thing you are after is a special cobbled together by an Australian chap (if I remember rightly). Long, long, LONG Edwardian Lanchester chassis with chain drive, Zeppelin aero engine and minimal bodywork. Ornamental brakes. Engine braking is sufficient. From memory, the engine ran out of breath at about 1000rpm and was geared for 120mph at 800 rpm. Son, you can't beat cubes...

I'll try to dig out some photos.

Old vehicles should be maintained and USED. Polishing should be limited to going over with an oily rag. As for "automatic transmission", what's that?

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post

How's this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    How's this?

Out-Fricken-Standing!

The antique tractor seat for the gunner is genius. It is a bit more polished than the sort of thing I'd build, but I like it!

No longer a community member.

Velvet in a Dr. G Color Duke

First, gorgeous pipe, DJ! Second, I get to pass along ANOTHER spelling flame, one I recently suffered at the hands of Terry. "Colombian"

PA in a plain CG. And Colombian.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I went with a 50/50 mix of PA and 1Q this morning. It bit a little but was an otherwise pleasant and light start after a long weekend.

Regarding all of this Jeep and Rover nonsense, I believe George Ball once said "Nostalgia is a seductive liar." If the latest Grand Cherokee (which Jim mistakenly calls a truck) can conquer the Rubicon it's Jeep enough for today's world and will be a hell of a lot more comfortable and reliable than an 80's era (or older??) Wrangler, not to mention Range Rover. If Chrysler (and therefore Jeep) hadn't benefited from their brief affair with Daimler it would be in a very sorry state. As it stands we have a new Wrangler with a new (and possibly better) engine, the new Grand Cherokee (and Durango) and a host of rather nice full size chars in the Chrysler stable.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Last day of work today after resigning three months ago! It's finally over. I suppose I may have to start again sometime, but for the moment... IT'S OVER!!!!!

Spent the day smoking several bowls of Germain's Rich Dark Flake and some Fox's Dorisco Mixture. Time well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Regarding all of this Jeep and Rover nonsense, I believe George Ball once said "Nostalgia is a seductive liar."
    While I can't argue that vehicles have become more sophisticated, powerful and (initially) reliable, this is not nostalgia. I know (too many) people who run Land Rovers which are over 40 years old (and some over 50) for very practical reasons. I very much doubt that any of the modern crop of off-roaders will be around in 2050. The sophistication is a double-edged sword. These vehicles rely heavily on the manufacturer's support which is short lived; the primitive vehicles will go on forever using basic workshop techniques. Land Rovers and Willys Jeeps are still in serious service all over the world for the simple reason that it is possible to keep them running. Mk1 Land Rover or Land Rover Defender? If I had to run a utility vehicle in a remote location (like my friends on the Isle of Eigg or Skye), the Mk1 wins hands down. For taking your kids to school in gentile Surrey, the Defender is the tool of choice. (But why? Most "off-roaders" never make it off-road.)

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

I am jealous that you retired. Six more years for me. Enjoy your retirement with many bowls that are pleasing and long lasting. All the best in your retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Last day of work today after resigning three months ago! It's finally over. I suppose I may have to start again sometime, but for the moment... IT'S OVER!!!!!

Spent the day smoking several bowls of Germain's Rich Dark Flake and some Fox's Dorisco Mixture. Time well spent.

While I can't argue that vehicles have become more sophisticated, powerful and (initially) reliable, this is not nostalgia. I know (too many) people who run Land Rovers which are over 40 years old (and some over 50) for very practical reasons. I very much doubt that any of the modern crop of off-roaders will be around in 2050. The sophistication is a double-edged sword. These vehicles rely heavily on the manufacturer's support which is short lived; the primitive vehicles will go on forever using basic workshop techniques. Land Rovers and Willys Jeeps are still in serious service all over the world for the simple reason that it is possible to keep them running. Mk1 Land Rover or Land Rover Defender? If I had to run a utility vehicle in a remote location (like my friends on the Isle of Eigg or Skye), the Mk1 wins hands down. For taking your kids to school in gentile Surrey, the Defender is the tool of choice. (But why? Most "off-roaders" never make it off-road.)