Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 340 of 600 FirstFirst ... 240 290 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 390 440 ... LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 8990

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by steinr1 Last day of work today after resigning three months ago! It's finally over. I suppose I ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Last day of work today after resigning three months ago! It's finally over. I suppose I may have to start again sometime, but for the moment... IT'S OVER!!!!!

Spent the day smoking several bowls of Germain's Rich Dark Flake and some Fox's Dorisco Mixture. Time well spent.
    Good for you, sir! < what I really mean is: you lucky bastard! >
    Here's to many, many bowls of your favorite blends...

I very much doubt that any of the modern crop of off-roaders will be around in 2050.
    Yes. This is the reason I would pay AT LEAST today's Volvo prices for a brand new 1989 Volvo 240. Before everything went power this and power that, before everything under the bonnet (that one's for Robert) was loaded with computer chip sensors. I know how to crank down a window by hand, thank you very much. My '98 V70 has just hit 250,000 miles, but swapping out the damn sensors is getting to make it less practical to keep it running.

Still looks good, though.

Royal Yacht in the meer, for a pleasant Monday morning drive in.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    I am jealous that you retired. Six more years for me. Enjoy your retirement with many bowls that are pleasing and long lasting. All the best in your retirement!
    Steady! Not retirement, just happy unemployment. I'll need to get back to it at some point, but for the moment, I'd rather be ragged than work for my EX-employers (and better still, with my wife at work, I'll be a kept man...)

Thanks for the thought, though
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Then I hope your new found peace of mind is all that you desire it to be and you still enjoy many bowls that are pleasing and long lasting. All the best to you as you enter this new phase...

Steady! Not retirement, just happy unemployment. I'll need to get back to it at some point, but for the moment, I'd rather be ragged than work for my EX-employers (and better still, with my wife at work, I'll be a kept man...)

Thanks for the thought, though

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

"Akept man"? LOL, when I was a young man, I actually thought I could make it happen. Not so innocent these days now and retirement it self seams far off. Thankfully, there are many smoke trails to help with dreaming my life away.
    Enjoy it while you can Robert. And that Germain's Rich Dark Flake really does sound tasty in the reviews. I've read it's very similar to Esoterica's Stonehaven, but can't actually verify it personally
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Temporally deprived posting - deal with it.

Enjoyed a bowl of Old Dublin this morning.

There's just something about a light English blend in the morning that is ....... glorious.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

No longer a community member.

A bowl of SPS Kentucky Planter in a Dr. G Duke

Fox's Dorisco Mixture in a Myon Royale Bulldog.

Thanks to all for the good vibes on my (temporary) early retirement. So far, life as a Kept Man has been sweet - no 0515 alarm.

Peterson's Perfect Plug in an MM Legend this morning.

Tomorrow is the last day of the school year here in Gwinnett County. Starting Thursday I can wake up at a more reasonable 6:30 to 7am and still make it to the office on time. I used to favor fall and winter, but summer is becoming my favorite season now that I have high school aged children.

EDIT: As soon as I saw this I remembered someone mentioned rat rods in this thread and had to post it:

Last edited by Stonedog; 05-21-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added the rat rod pic
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Royal Yacht in the dedicated bent acorn during the drive to work up the mountain this morning.

There is a motorcycle rally this weekend in the town I work in. The first few years it was fun, but now it's just LOUD and inconvenient.

Finally I received some "flake" to enjoy with a favorite pipe --- and see what it is that you guys seem to love.

Any advise for a first time flake smoker?

Thanks for your input and patience with my questions.

Michael

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    Any advise for a first time flake smoker?
    Sure. For maximum flavor (but more difficult lighting and more relights) just "fold and stuff" the flake.

You can also "rub out" the flake into something approaching ribbon. It will light easier and have a more mild flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    Royal Yacht in the dedicated bent acorn during the drive to work up the mountain this morning.

There is a motorcycle rally this weekend in the town I work in. The first few years it was fun, but now it's just LOUD and inconvenient.
    RANT MODE

I hope at least it's a "real" motorcycle rally. Nothing worse than having a bunch of fat, middle-aged wannabe "bikers" sipping Chardonnay, loudly reminiscing about their guided "adventure" with their rented "Hogs" (probably some Suzuki cruiser - "They're just like Harleys but SOOO much more reliable...") to the Algarve or whatever the equivalent in the US might be ("The food's FANTASTIC and it's SOOO inexpensive. We found a local bar where you can get the authentic experience - not like those DREADFUL tourist places.")

Thankfully, I recognise that I'm too old, too fat and like my Chardonnay too much to attend rallies anymore.

/RANT MODE

I'm off to the porch to scowl at passerbys (no reason - they just annoy me these days) and smoke an S-M Barling's Make Lovat full of Germain's Rich Dark Flake.
    Last edited by steinr1; 05-21-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: WHAT'S IT TO YOU?

I'm off to the porch to scowl at passerbys (no reason - they just annoy me these days) and smoke an S-M Barling's Make Lovat full of Germain's Rich Dark Flake.
    Excellent ranting, Robert. We had a redo of Woodstock at the airbase back in '99 ( called Woodstock 99, of course). Nightmare. About the only thing good to come out of it was a cartoon by a local that ran on the editorial page of the Rome Daily Senile. There are three middle aged couples, dressed circa 1969, beads and headbands, grey hair, pot bellies, flowers in the ladies' hair, all drinking beer straight out of the bottle (having it raw, as it was known at the time). Wonderful cartooning. One of the guys is saying, "I hear there's some bad antacid going around." And you think motorcycle rallies are irritating?

I'm here with the Dart Mix, Terry's Bolstered Variation, and an Old Mil.
    Last edited by freestoke; 05-21-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Mark,

Thank you. I received some Davidoff Flake Medallions which I am enjoying in one of my Dunhill pipes. I am wondering about the ghost effect from all the 1Q I have smoked in it. It is no where near as sweet as the 1Q I am used to smoking-- but the full flavor is an absolute delight. So far -- no bite -- just a great fulll flavored smoke. I just wadded up a piece and a half and loaded it into the pipe. No relighting issues so far -- but it is burning very slow. A great change of pace. Thank you once again for the advise. I cold easily get used to this!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    Sure. For maximum flavor (but more difficult lighting and more relights) just "fold and stuff" the flake.

You can also "rub out" the flake into something approaching ribbon. It will light easier and have a more mild flavor.

Jim,

I really like the pipe in your picture. What kind is it and where was it made? Do you smoke it often?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Excellent ranting, Robert. We had a redo of Woodstock at the airbase back in '99 ( called Woodstock 99, of course). Nightmare. About the only thing good to come out of it was a cartoon by a local that ran on the editorial page of the Rome Daily Senile. There are three middle aged couples, dressed circa 1969, beads and headbands, grey hair, pot bellies, flowers in the ladies' hair, all drinking beer straight out of the bottle (having it raw, as it was known at the time). Wonderful cartooning. One of the guys is saying, "I hear there's some bad antacid going around." And you think motorcycle rallies are irritating?

I'm here with the Dart Mix, Terry's Bolstered Variation, and an Old Mil.