Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 383 of 601 FirstFirst ... 283 333 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 433 483 ... LastLast
Results 5,731 to 5,745 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by bluesman.54 Don't blaspheme! I am definitely going to order some of this this week and give it ...

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    Don't blaspheme! I am definitely going to order some of this this week and give it a go. That is a strong recommendation -- better than 1792, a fine, fine tobacco -- one that I cannot ignore. Gad Zooks! It is always great to find a new fine tobacco. I look forward to it. Life is Good!
    Of course, since you're just trying this one out, you have to order both the flake AND the ready-rubbed. And inquiring minds want to know how they compare.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Funny! But isn't this a given? Of course I must order both -- who wouldn't? I look forward to this new experience. It shall be a grand day indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Of course, since you're just trying this one out, you have to order both the flake AND the ready-rubbed. And inquiring minds want to know how they compare.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    Anni-Kake in a MM pride
    Part Deux!

I don't want to be a downer, but the blends that I can think of that I've smoked as both flake and ready-rubbed have been disappointing in ready-rubbed form.

Edgeworth, Condor, St. Bruno, Three Nuns, Players Navy and Capstan all spring immediately to mind. Great flake tobaccos; mediocre at best as ready-rubbed.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Spoiler Alert!!!!:

QUOTE=steinr1;3890790]I don't want to be a downer, but the blends that I can think of that I've smoked as both flake and ready-rubbed have been disappointing in ready-rubbed form.

Edgeworth, Condor, St. Bruno, Three Nuns, Players Navy and Capstan all spring immediately to mind. Great flake tobaccos; mediocre at best as ready-rubbed.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I don't want to be a downer, but the blends that I can think of that I've smoked as both flake and ready-rubbed have been disappointing in ready-rubbed form.

Edgeworth, Condor, St. Bruno, Three Nuns, Players Navy and Capstan all spring immediately to mind. Great flake tobaccos; mediocre at best as ready-rubbed.
    I've heard this before, and do not doubt it. I've noticed some charge LESS for the same amount of ready-rubbed, even though it requires additional effort on their part (or so I had thought). It's really a shame, though - looks like I'll be opting for the tins rather than buying ODF by the pound.

Unless and until Michael tells me otherwise! I trust him...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Hi Mark! I think blood work should have been one of those things that Steve Martin and some other guy on SNL used to "hate". "Yeah, like when you pull barbed wire through your nose to clean out your sinuses! I HATE that!" "Or like when you stick an ice pick in your eye! I HATE that!") (Or something to that effect...)

I have no flake/ready-rubbed stories to tell.

As for ODF and 1792, I can say that Audrey will not chide me for smoking ODF, but 1792 will elicit an unfavorable remark for certain. Her Lakeland detector goes off with 1792, Happy Bogie and Ennerdale (aka, "Bug Spray"). My take on all this is that you're all like sailors, with a different "favorite girl" in every port.

And an update on the new Golf Mix. Today, I remembered what was in it, on my fifth bowl on the 5th hole -> KK, PA, TAMBO, and Holiday Spirit 201x, in approximately equal portions. And it is not at all bad, although it has not earned any "That smells nice" comments so far. I suspect that it does not smell particularly nice, but it smokes nice! I know! I'm going to blame my recent bad play on the Golf Mix. No, that won't do at all, no, not at all, since I played GREAT with it at first. So it must be something else, possibly voodoo.

And it's Dart Mix, Terry. Yes, Dart Mix, the all around smoke after good rounds and bad, after straight arrows and bent, and Old Mil is like the goodly bartender, ready to share in your joys and sympathize with your sorrows.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

@ProbateGeek I sent you a PM

For those who are interested Smokingpipes.com does have HH ODF in 1lb boxes in the tinned tobacco section. They also have the ready rubbed ODF in the bulk section.

I've noticed some charge LESS for the same amount of ready-rubbed, even though it requires additional effort on their part (or so I had thought).
    I used to believe that they simply used the sweepings from the factory floor for Edgeworth RR. Didn't like it.

The "more work/lower price" anomaly also applies to rusticated pipes. Extra effort and cost but generally lower percieved quality and value compared to a perfect smooth finish. I doubt many artisan pipe-makers would rusticate a flawless straight grain pipe for the hell of it. Rustication is generally a way of saving a piece of briar that would otherwise be binned.

Maybe they do use sweepings for ready-rubbed after all...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

I had a bowl of Royal Yacht during my morning commute up the mountain.

1792 Flake in the Savinelli Venezia billiard/lovat during my morning commute to the Lake.

This morning I enjoyed some 1792 in an old slightly bent Caminetto Business pipe with a long shank that I bought at the Caminetto factory back in 1979. I have never seen another one like it -- not even at the factory. It smokes beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    This morning I enjoyed some 1792 in an old slightly bent Caminetto Business pipe with a long shank that I bought at the Caminetto factory back in 1979. I have never seen another one like it -- not even at the factory. It smokes beautifully.
    Michael, we'll say it again. . .

WHERE'S THE PHOTO?

Here's a Caminetto Business pipe to tide us over, ya know, until you get that camera.

That's very close, very close, but the shank I have is a bit longer and it is a slightly bent pipe. Mine was that color years ago, but since I got it when I was 26 years old it has darkened considerably. That is a beautiful pipe though. Do you like the way it smokes? If it isnt your pipe is it for sale? And yes, I do need to get a camera. That will happen when I have enough pipes and tobacco to tide me over while I celler enough Tobacco to get me through the apocalypse....

Michael, we'll say it again. . .

WHERE'S THE PHOTO?

Here's a Caminetto Business pipe to tide us over, ya know, until you get that camera.