Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 436 of 601 FirstFirst ... 336 386 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 486 536 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,540 of 9001

Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

This is a discussion on Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; It's far too early to be up, Tobias, specially here in Rome, where it's a crisp -18F. I'm betting this ...

Re: Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

It's far too early to be up, Tobias, specially here in Rome, where it's a crisp -18F. I'm betting this is the coldest we'll see this year, but nothing unusual at all. Winters have been very mild the past few years, and even with this little cold spell, temperatures are getting above zero during the day. I remember winters here where the temp was below zero during the day and 20-30 below at night for a week or two straight. I've read that the Great Lakes are pretty much frozen at this point, so the lake effect won't be coming into play that much from here on out, ruling out those annoying 3' snowfalls due to nothing but a northwest wind.

Elizabethan mixture in the Forever Legend. Can't say I like this as much as Royal Yacht, but it certainly isn't terrible.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    It's far too early to be up, Tobias, specially here in Rome, where it's a crisp -18F.
    It's never too early to be up as long as you have tobacco and coffee. Remove those from the equation and the middle of the afternoon is too early We aren't that cold- it was ~11* when I went outside at 0500, with little to no wind.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader JimInks's Avatar

Tilbury in a 2003 black grain etched Karl Erik Ekstravagant horn with a smooth top.

Just finishing MacBaren Halberg Yellow in a straight 2012 MM Pony Express cob. Next is Anniversary Kake in a smooth 1979 Chippendale (Charatan second) Rhodesian 49.

Rum and Maple in a 1981 Mauro Armellini Corteccia 05 Oom Paul.

Finally getting to the bottom of my Davidoff tin with a Graco Ocean. I just noticed this morning that they still paint their tins rather than applying a sticker. I think I'm going to have to hold on to these.

I'm going to finish this Elizabethan Mixture before I open a Royal Yacht. I have a musketball burning in the Forever Legend that I've been chain smoking since yesterday afternoon ). Not bad, just not quite enough umbladee. Got a fresh grind of 8 O'clock beans in the cup; not horrible, but I thought I'd give it go. Chlly at -9F, with real winter for at least another week.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

I had a bowl of HV in a cob during my morning commute up the mountain.

Pine Hills in a 1998 smooth straight Butz-Choquin Bistro 1501 pot. I was given this tin to review, and am beginning to get into it. It's like a good, smooth OTC burley.

Just finished smoking Sail Yellow in a 1982 smooth straight Sasieni Ivory 105 Apple. Next is Rekamepip's Winter Blend in a 2003 Ural full bend egg shaped Lattice meer.

Earlier, it was Kentucky Planter in a Peterson SH Milverton. Now, it's MacBaren Cube Gold in a 2003 IMP horn Meer.

Some Davidoff in a Dr. Grabow bent Collector. I picked up half a dozen new Dr. Gs the other day and this is the first one to be fired up. I have a couple pipes that were moderately expensive, and admittedly, there are nuances to smoking them that exceed those of a Dr. G in quality and experience. However, the difference is not enough for me to spend the difference in buying them when Grabows translate to more pipes and more money for tobacco. Obviously it is to each his own, but I enjoy these pipes and one day I would really like to visit the factory in Sparta since it is only a few hours from my house.

Very cool, Tobias! You know, I've never smoked a Dr. Grabow! I went to their site expecting to find the "break-in machine" pictured, but alas. Here's an old one.

That JK[sic]P mixed with Elizabethan is rather good. Think I'll crank up a musketball of that in a cob.
    Last edited by freestoke; 01-24-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    You know, I've never smoked a Dr. Grabow!
    Wow! I figured as many year's as you have ben smoking, and your affinity for PA, that you would have a couple. Have you ever smoked any of the "drugstore" pipes (Dr. Gs, Medicos, Kaywoodies,etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    Wow! I figured as many year's as you have ben smoking, and your affinity for PA, that you would have a couple. Have you ever smoked any of the "drugstore" pipes (Dr. Gs, Medicos, Kaywoodies,etc.)?
    I had a Yello-Bole once, which smoked pretty well, but I had pretty nice pipes right from the start. Remember, you could get a Sasieni FourDot for $25 and a Dunhill for $40. Bear in mind, that my experience with drugstore tobacco was also minimal until I "discovered" PA, SWR and Carter Hall a few years back, along with corncob pipes! I was about 50/50 Balkan Sobranie and Dunhill blends, with a smattering of a few other things now and again, and something like PA would have seemed like a waste of time.

I've got some JK[sic]P and 5100 about 50/50 right now, so I'm okay with the effete sector of the pipe-smoking community at the moment -- barely. I'll be doing some slumming in a while, with my new buddy Prince Albert. (A prince? Really? He seems so down-to-Earth. )