Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Two bulging battleships

This is a discussion on Two bulging battleships within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Mister Moo Was that the exploding GLPease episode? Ultramag had a couple of Fillmore tins, around the ...

Re: Two bulging battleships

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    Was that the exploding GLPease episode?
    Ultramag had a couple of Fillmore tins, around the same date period, that bulged and had rotten corpses inside. I'm too lazy to search/post the thread, but its here somewhere. Greg Pease did come on here and explained that particular batch had "water problems", and C&D did replace them.

Funny thing is that I have a third 1-pounder tin, around the same batch date, but it is not bulging (yet). And several 8oz'er mini-tanks that are also looking happy.

The bulge is barely noticable, the base has pushed out but not past the height of the lip (so the tin doesn't wobble). And the top has a very noticable convex bulge, that seam is probably going to yield first.

Ordinarily I would ignore the bulging (except for checking on their seals periodically) - but since the same blend and around the same timeframe did have mold problems, I'm a little concerned. And I don't have enough jars to store 2 lbs into, so thats problem #B. I suppose I could always trade what I can't store or smoke up - assuming its not rotten
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

An update on my twin bulging pound tins (about time).

Since I was jarring up an order, I decided to deal with these tins. Picked one, wrapped a thick towel around the top - thanks for the advice, whoever posted that! Then pulled the tab. BANG!

And the room was filled with delicious aged-tobacco-gases. Fermented VA and Perique, oh, bliss.

Tobacco was fine, this tin was nearly 3 years old. Crystalization, perfect figgy aroma, perfect moisture. Gas is not necessarily a bad thing

As I extracted the contents, I realized why it was bulging. And possibly why GL Pease no longer makes 1 lb tins. If anyone has opened their 8oz tins, you will know that they use the same paper "cup" that is put into regular 2oz tins - just four of them stacked on top of each other. Two times four = 8oz. Easy packing, I suppose.

This 1lb tin had the same thing. But, as the tin is wider but not much taller - I guess they only could fit 5 paper-cups inside. And each was over stuffed, making the cups stretch out and jam against the sides of the tin. And yes, it did hold 16oz of baccy, I weighed it! This jam packed structure did not leave much room inside the tin, and the baccy was physically pushing up (and down) - not just gas pressure. Hence the tin bulges.

I suppose the tin seams would fail eventually, this was quite the pressure cooker. So if anyone has 1lb GLP tins, I suggest you plan on smoking (or jarring) them first, just in case. And of course I ran out of jars, only about 5oz could fit into a 8 (liquid oz) mason jar. So I'll deal with the other bulging twin at a later date, with any luck it too contains healthy baccy.

I haven't smoked any of it yet, giving it a few days to "cool off", but it smells perfect!
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

Sounds like fun, popping open that tin. Good thing everything was still good.

I actually had saliva fall on my keyboard after reading this Something about that aged smell of VA's. Just opened a 2 year old tin of Embarcadero just and it was heavenly.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post
    I actually had saliva fall on my keyboard after reading this Something about that aged smell of VA's. Just opened a 2 year old tin of Embarcadero just and it was heavenly.
    The room reeked (in a good way) for a day, that was one gassy tin!

Smoked the first bowl out of that tin yesterday, ahhhhh, great stuff! Only 15.8 oz left
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Glad to hear it was just good aging! In fact, I'll have some Fillmore myself.

Young Puffer Fish

I belive they stopped selling the 1 pound tins because it was said they couldnt make any money selling them. the cheapest i saw them for reguarly was 50.00 a tin or so... most botique brands are now approaching or past 75.00 a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by tobaccoman View Post
    I belive they stopped selling the 1 pound tins because it was said they couldnt make any money selling them. the cheapest i saw them for reguarly was 50.00 a tin or so... most botique brands are now approaching or past 75.00 a pound.
    There are still some GLP blends available in 1lb tins - but those are "loose cut" not flakes. Haddos Delight is one that comes to mind. I'm pretty sure those do not use the paper-cups, most GLP loose cut blends are just poured into the small tins (Robusto, Embarcardero).

As anyone who is a Costco or Sams Club member knows, the packaging is half the cost. Coming home with half a cow worth of burgers is much cheaper than buying a pack of 4 at the corner grocery store. Same packaging cost, more stuff in the package. Can ya image a "Pease Club", warehouse for pipe tobacco? Oh
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2