Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two bulging battleships

This is a discussion on Two bulging battleships within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So I happen to be rooting through the cellar, and for some reason I happened to look at a couple ...

Two bulging battleships

So I happen to be rooting through the cellar, and for some reason I happened to look at a couple of Fillmore battleships. These are the old 16oz (POUND) tins, no longer made.

Hell - both these behmoths are exhibiting bulging. It was like Oprah had a twin.

Then I remember the issue Ultramag had with a soiled Fillmore, mold infested exploding tin thing. Aaargh!

One tin is from Dec '07, the other July '08. Now I have two POUNDS of what may be twin fungus factories, or not. I have to find enough mason jars to put two pounds of Fillmore into, assuming its not spoiled. If the latter, then I'm out two pounds of carefully aged baccy - no doubt C&D will replace it but thats three years of aging wasted.
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Re: Two bulging battleships

Thats a bad hit if thats the case. I would love to see pics of the bulging baccy!

Wow, that's no good Ron. Hope it just turns out to be gassy tobacco
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Elder Puffer Fish Leader NoShhhSherlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    Thats a bad hit if thats the case. I would love to see pics of the bulging baccy!

+1
    lets hope that is not the case. But I would Like to see them as well if you decide to snap some shots RJ.

CWL

Yes, please post some pictures as i would like to see what a bulging tin looks like.

Erk. I hope its not mold - that'd be a heck of a waste!

Maturing Puffer Fish Hellraiser's Avatar

So, lets say that they are mold infested, would C&D really replace them, or would one go to the retailer? I ask because I also have some tins of GLP that are bulging a bit.

That's a concern I have with my cellar, what if I open a can of 7 year old GLP Odyssey and it's moldy, do I really have any recourse 6-7 years after the date of purchase, if I even remember where I bought it from? Would you even try get a replacement or write it off as something that may happen when you age tobacco (longterm)?

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
    So, lets say that they are mold infested, would C&D really replace them, or would one go to the retailer? I ask because I also have some tins of GLP that are bulging a bit.

That's a concern I have with my cellar, what if I open a can of 7 year old GLP Odyssey and it's moldy, do I really have any recourse 6-7 years after the date of purchase, if I even remember where I bought it from? Would you even try get a replacement or write it off as something that may happen when you age tobacco (longterm)?
    Contact C&D, they are familiar with the issue and will work to get you replacements. Unfortunately, I doubt that the new tins will have any aging to them.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Don't get too crazy. I had 2 tins of HOTW from 05 that were bulging a bit and was a bit concerned as I bought them that way from the bay. Opened one and it was absolutely perfect! The other is still fat and happy in my cellar.
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Maturing Puffer Fish Hellraiser's Avatar

I just opened a bulging tin of Barbary Coast from 2006, was fine - well no mold anyway.

Ron, you don't realize how lucky you are! Did you know that you only live a few miles away from the renowned J. Straw Tobacco Disposal Co.'s world headquarters? I remember hearing that they were the best firm to use for safe disposal of questionable tins. I will see if I can get you a discount rate, I have an in with the owner.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

I'd open it outside and stand upwind, with the opening area pointed away from you -- then remove all your clothes and burn them if it's mold and then wash up with the garden hose.

Tobacco can be hazardous to your cellar.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Sounds like a good time to see how the 4 year old stuff is smoking! It sure does suck to have to open them without wanting to. But, either you've got some fine smokin baccy, and a pretty good idea that the other tin is fine, or you'll find a moldy mess and get those puppies replaced.

Sorry about the bulge though! I've seen some C&D tins in the B&M with a couple of years on them that are bulging as well, and a guy who's opinion I really trust there says those tins are smoking really good at the moment.

It's a crapshoot i guess!

There was some tobacco a few years back, I forget which one, that had a problem with bulging tins. It turned out that the tins that had bulged were superior to those that didn't. Then everyone went from shop to shop searching for swollen tins to buy.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    There was some tobacco a few years back, I forget which one, that had a problem with bulging tins. It turned out that the tins that had bulged were superior to those that didn't. Then everyone went from shop to shop searching for swollen tins to buy.
    Was that the exploding GLPease episode?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast