Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pipe Refinishing - Whats the trick??

This is a discussion on Pipe Refinishing - Whats the trick?? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So I sanded down a crappy pipe I bought to refinish it and it ended up pretty pathetic. I used ...

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Pipe Refinishing - Whats the trick??

So I sanded down a crappy pipe I bought to refinish it and it ended up pretty pathetic. I used Feibing's leather dye (dark brown) which seemed to be the recommendation by my research. How do I get a perfect coat? Its really spotted and mottled. Some areas are darker than others. I can't seem to get it right. So whats the trick? Should I mix a squirt of water in and then just do more coats? Use less dye? Put it on a rag and buff it on? All three? I'll post pics here pretty soon of the pipe. Its sanded down a bit but it still pretty accurately shows my problem.

Re: Pipe Refinishing - Whats the trick??

You can:

-cut the dye with alcohol
    -rub alcohol on the surface after it has dried
    -sand after staining with fine grit sandpaper (1-2k grit), which will pop the grain as well.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

will alcohol pull the dye out of the grain then? or just dilute?

I have some 220 grain. Is it safe to say I need to run to the auto store and grab something with another zero on the end?

It mainly pulls it out onto whatever you are wiping with as it dilutes (rag, paper towel, etc).

220 is definitely too course. 600 would probably work.

heres the pipe. This picture shows the worst side. I think I'll rub it down with some alcohol then see if I can refinish it again. It'll still be pretty ugly but oh well.

The alcohol will help even it out, but what I would experiment with there is soaking it longer in dye (just keep brushing it on for a few minutes), and then sanding with high grit until you get the desired coloring/grain. It will be a lot easier to do that way and get even, and it will look much better.

What kind of wood is that?

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post

I have some 220 grain. Is it safe to say I need to run to the auto store and grab something with another zero on the end?
    I suspect that you are getting bad results not because of the dye, but because you have not removed all of the old wax and finish. Liquid dye will spread and soak evenly into properly prepared wood.

The first thing you need to do is to keep 220 grit paper away from your pipes, that grit is coarse and is only meant to remove wood fast or to strip paint, it is nowhere near a finishing grade and will only cut scratches into your pipe.

Start with 320-400 grit emory paper, and when you think you have removed the entire outer layer of wood, hit it with 600 grit, then 1000 grit and even 2000 grit if you have the patience. The higher the grit, the more polished and smooth your pipe will appear (the super high ends have been polished with 8000 grit before being buffed some more!).

The wood is rosewood briar. Its been a challenge to work with, I suspect the wood also may be a reason the dye isn't spreading right. When I dab the dye on, it soaks in where ever I put it. There has been no even spreading like you described. I first used 100 gr (too coarse, I now know) to take the finish off then 220 to buff it down. I'll have to run down to autozone or whatever and grab some higher grit.

Young Puffer Fish

Here is what I do:

Do not sand the pipe. It is already sanded smoother than you can get it.

Rub with Acetone on a paper towel until all the old finish is gone. The stain will remain.

Wax and buff with Carnuba wax.

That's all.
    Stan

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by Stan41 View Post
    Here is what I do:

Do not sand the pipe. It is already sanded smoother than you can get it.

Rub with Acetone on a paper towel until all the old finish is gone. The stain will remain.

Wax and buff with Carnuba wax.

That's all.
    Stan
    I beg to differ. 220 grit will NOT sand wood the smoothest he can get it.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    I think he meant starting from scratch and not where Kyle's at now. Unless something horrible happened, most pipes that you refinish will be sanded smooth and there shouldn't be a need to hit it with sand paper.

Now, though, Kyle really needs to get the finer grit and smooth those gouges from the course grit paper. In the picture I can see where it was sanded with course grit.

For future pipes, I recommend just using a magic eraser until you get down to the color you want or using the acetone but I just really hesitate to put chemicals like that on my pipe.
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    Yes, I was talking about refinishing a pipe that has not been messed with.
    Stan

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by owaindav View Post

using the acetone but I just really hesitate to put chemicals like that on my pipe.
    I am not afraid to use acetone on the outside of my pipes. I don' use it inside the bowl. It evaporates completely, very quickly. Plus women use fingernail polish remover all the time apparently with no ill effects and it is just Acetone.
    Stan

#0000 steel wool can put a pretty smooth finish on wood as a last step, too. Probably about like 1000 grit sandpaper, possibly even finer, but easier to use -- doesn't crease and you can get into the curvy areas easier. I have 1000 grit that I use for smoothing my nails for classical guitar, so I have tried both.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by Stan41 View Post
    Yes, I was talking about refinishing a pipe that has not been messed with.
    Stan
    Sorry, misunderstood!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast