Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Musketballing

This is a discussion on Musketballing within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; @ stonedog, whenever I cannonball I rubb out the flake partially. I rub my hands in a circular motion and ...

  
  1. #16

    The Mad Roofer Zfog's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    @ stonedog, whenever I cannonball I rubb out the flake partially. I rub my hands in a circular motion and a little ball forms. That's how I do it anyway.

    I will have to try Musketball method out.

  2. #17

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Yeah, just take a flake, put it in your hands like you're going to rub it out, and then change your mind...that pretty much gets you there.
    ********.com

  3. #18

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    OK, so I'd like to try to cannonball/musketball a flake but youtube and google aren't cooperating. Is this as simple as pinching/mashing/wadding/whatever a flake into a ball that just barely fits into the bowl?
    Like I said, I made up the term "musketballing", because when I've heard them talk about cannonballing it's been with ribbon. There's almost certainly somebody doing it on youtube with flakes and I would have thought "cannonball" would have worked for a search.

    It is exactly as simple as that, though, just making a wad of tobacco and cramming it in there. One of its charms is the fact that it requires no skill whatsoever.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  4. #19

    Alpha Puffer Fish WyoBob's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    I musketballed for the first time this afternoon with some LNF and a Diplomat cob. I'd dried the tobacco a bit because I was going to load conventionally so it didn't want to ball up very well. Thank goodness the cob is a sitter as I have to load with one hand for the next couple of months.

    The LNF burned quite well. On par and possibly better than the Frank method. I was called away for a couple of hours and the tobacco tasted better than I expected when I got back to the bowl. Eventually, tamping will move the "plug" to the bottom of the bowl and I can see how this method might keep the bottom of briars/meers a little bit drier.

    I'll keep using this method for the next week or so and see what happens.
    WyoBob

  5. #20

    CBR
    CBR is offline
    Cheques & Balances CBR's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Good post, freestoke. I like the new terminology!

  6. #21

    Alpha Puffer Fish laloin's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    oh I get the term "musketballing" like your ramming a bullet down a musket. you take a wad of flake rolled into a ball, and shove it in your pipe *duh*
    I tried that today with a flake of macbaren Virginia flake, I do say the heel of my bowl was drier, and there was a clean draw of air.
    But I folded the flake lengthwise, fold over rubbed out, and then wadded into a ball.
    have to keep experimenting, always something to learn in pipes and tobacco heheh
    troy

  7. #22

    Leading Puffer Fish Stonedog's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Like I said, I made up the term "musketballing", because when I've heard them talk about cannonballing it's been with ribbon. There's almost certainly somebody doing it on youtube with flakes and I would have thought "cannonball" would have worked for a search.

    It is exactly as simple as that, though, just making a wad of tobacco and cramming it in there. One of its charms is the fact that it requires no skill whatsoever.
    I tried this last night with a flake of LNF. Didn't really rub it out, just kinda wadded it up like a chewing gum wrapper and stuffed it in there just below the rim. The draw was better and the overall experience was better than the normal fold-n-stuff I've used. Will have to keep experimenting with it.

    Thanks for posting this!
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

  8. #23

    Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Like I said, I made up the term "musketballing", because when I've heard them talk about cannonballing it's been with ribbon. There's almost certainly somebody doing it on youtube with flakes and I would have thought "cannonball" would have worked for a search.

    It is exactly as simple as that, though, just making a wad of tobacco and cramming it in there. One of its charms is the fact that it requires no skill whatsoever.
    Some people also call it the "Air Pocket Method" but I kind of like 'Musketball' myself. Has that certain ring to it.

  9. #24

    Heavy Puffer commonsenseman's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    I thought this thread was gonna be about guns.......

    Great write-up on a method that I've actually never tried myself. I've always gone through all the trouble to fold-n-stuff. Next time I'll just rough it up a little & shove it in.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

  10. #25

    Alpha Puffer Fish WyoBob's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Hey, Jeff. I just noticed it says that you 've just smoked 1792 and my ring gauge is 1792. Spooky, huh?

    As i remember, 1792 is one of the great tobaccos that you sent me just over a year ago when I took up the pipe again.

    Thanks for greasing the slope for me. It's been a very enjoyable trip!
    WyoBob

  11. #26

    Heavy Puffer commonsenseman's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    Hey, Jeff. I just noticed it says that you 've just smoked 1792 and my ring gauge is 1792. Spooky, huh?

    As i remember, 1792 is one of the great tobaccos that you sent me just over a year ago when I took up the pipe again.

    Thanks for greasing the slope for me. It's been a very enjoyable trip!
    To be totally honest, it's my defaut "just smoked". But, more often then not, it's true.

    Glad I was able to help
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

  12. #27

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_2 View Post
    Some people also call it the "Air Pocket Method" but I kind of like 'Musketball' myself. Has that certain ring to it.
    Thanks Dan! Yeah, "Air Pocket Method" is pretty lifeless, but almost certainly the key to the youtube offerings.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  13. #28

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    I tried this last night with a flake of LNF. Didn't really rub it out, just kinda wadded it up like a chewing gum wrapper and stuffed it in there just below the rim. The draw was better and the overall experience was better than the normal fold-n-stuff I've used. Will have to keep experimenting with it.

    Thanks for posting this!
    Very welcome, Jon. Yeah! "Wadded it up like a chewing gum wrapper" is exactly right! I've been struggling for a way to describe it and that's exactly it. Definitely the perfect analogy. For combining with a loose cut, it's like wadding up the gum in the wrapper too!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  14. #29

    Sot-weed Bohemian freestoke's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    I thought this thread was gonna be about guns.......

    Great write-up on a method that I've actually never tried myself. I've always gone through all the trouble to fold-n-stuff. Next time I'll just rough it up a little & shove it in.
    Thanks Jeff!

    To be militarily exact, "cannonballing" is about guns.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

  15. #30

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Musketballing

    Another benefit of this method for me has been my concern for not losing my air pocket finally teaching me to have a light hand with the tamper. I'd always read things like "just let the weight of the tamper compress the ash" and my brain would say "nah; it's one of them hyperbole thingies-they don't really mean that!"
    ********.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •