Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Top pipes are tasting a little ashy

This is a discussion on Top pipes are tasting a little ashy within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by CWL Nowadays, I first blow through my pipe to flush out any leftover ash & loose bits ...

Re: Top pipes are tasting a little ashy

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post

Nowadays, I first blow through my pipe to flush out any leftover ash & loose bits before smoking.
    I do the same, but do ashes really taste like what is called "ashy taste"? I'm not so sure. I think it's stale nicotine and tars accumulating in the shank and stem, some of which vaporizes when you heat it up. Since I don't leave a dottle, in general, however many lights it may take, the heel doesn't suffer this buildup iin my pipes-- all the would be stale nicotine and crap in the bowl vaporizes or burns. I can see how it would, though, if you dumped wet dottles a lot, as opposed to ash (that I don't want in my mouth either). Wouldn't be long before the bowl would taste like a dirty stem/shank, I should think.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I have never had an "ashy taste" other than one would expect from a pipe, that is used to incinerate tobacco.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    I have never had an "ashy taste" other than one would expect from a pipe, that is used to incinerate tobacco.
    What about an assy taste from your bowels?
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    What about an assy taste from your bowels?
    I would think that goes without saying.

Young Fish

What if the pipe want left out after a smoke and just stuffed in a drawer. Wouldn't that cause a bit of an ashy taste because of it not being able to breathe and air out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2