Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stanwell Featherweight's

This is a discussion on Stanwell Featherweight's within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Folk's I have been looking at the Stanwell's and really like them.... Noticed they have the "Featherweight" line. Any thoughts ...

Stanwell Featherweight's

Folk's
    I have been looking at the Stanwell's and really like them....
    Noticed they have the "Featherweight" line.
    Any thoughts on these pipes.
    Noticed a few are shorter to keep the weigh down.

Any thoughts on these....They appear to be reasonably priced...
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

No longer a community member.

Re: Stanwell Featherweight's

No experience with the featherweights but either way I bet its gonna be a good smoker, If your a qlencher your jaw will thank you.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jfdiii's Avatar

I have a few Stanwell's and other than one weirdo, they are all a part of my rotation. I regularly cruise auction sites looking for more (estates). The thing about most of the featherweights I have seen is the narrow stem and lack of a dental ridge makes it hard to clench. All my Stanwells are "hands on" smokers.
    **After posting, I looked at some of the newer ones and they seem to have a stem more amenable to clenching.
    Last edited by jfdiii; 07-23-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: talking out of my a**

Not sure if this is true or not, but when I hear featherweight I picture a pipe that will smoke hotter due to the thinner walls it may have. This wouldn't be true of course if it was only a top notch piece of briar that is light and provided excellent smoking qualities...
    I have not purchased a Stanwell yet since I heard they changed up shop. Although, I have still heard great things about them.

Never smoked a featherweight, but the ones I've seen don't have particularly thin walls.
    They appear to be just smaller pipes in general ... like a Group 2-3 in size.
    I've owned two Stanwells and they were both fine smokers with solid construction.

Stanwell Featherweight Sandblasted (200) Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com

I have a Stanwell featherweight poker that I bought a couple years ago.. It's not a regular in my rotation but it was never intended to be. I bought it for use as a pocket pipe. It's probably comparable to a #2, smokes as cool as most of my full size pipes and the stem is broad enough at the end for easy clenching. It's perfect for a relatively short smoke and fits easily in a shirt pocket, exactly what I wanted.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

If you want a smaller pipe they are the genuine article. I had two; sold the billiard (to friend - he loves it) but kept the square horn. Both pipes are fine smokers, not hot - perfect group 2-3 travel/car/shirtpocket/all-around puffers.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Young Puffer Fish

I have 3 Stanwell Featherweights - a 239 Bordeaux, a Sandblast 241, & a Polished 244.
    All three are great smoking pipes. Smaller for a shorter smoke, but of fabulous quality.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
    Glen

Leading Puffer Fish

I have a Stanwell (Night and Day) and I love it, it smokes great, and fits in my hand nicely, and is really light. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one, I see no reason that the featherweights wouldn’t also be a quality pipe (I personally love the 242 design).

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    I have a Stanwell ... I see no reason that the featherweights wouldn’t also be a quality pipe...
    While I haven't found it to be the case with Stanwell Featherweights I respectfully note any sub-30gram pipe could be a hot smoker at worst and hard to handle at best.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Thanks for all the feedback.
    I will hold off on these and will reconsider
    when I need a pocket pipe.........
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I will hold off on these and will reconsider
    when I need a pocket pipe.........
    If want a very light pipe without spending a ton of money on the unknown, check out Missouri Merchaum's Ozark Mountain Pipe. These hardwood pipes are not super high quality but are easily worth the $4 investment. :-) I have two and they are the lightest pipes I own (about .9 ounces each) and don't smoke any hotter than my real briar pipes. In fact, they are lighter than my smallest MM Legend and have a relatively big bowl given the weight. Just my $.02...
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

34g with only a 17mm bowl just sounds like a small heayv pipe to me. I would say it needs to be under an ounce for a featherweight with a larger bowl otherwise it's just a small pipe. I have made pipes with 20mm chambers at around the 22/23g mark, thats a full sized chamber on a pipe weighing close to 3/4oz.

drl

I have one, a little lovat that's a dandy smoker. They are rather tiny, though, and I'm not really into small pipes so I don't smoke it much. I'd recommend if you don't mind very small pipes, for sure.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    I respectfully note any sub-30gram pipe could be a hot smoker at worst and hard to handle at best.
    Very true, my comment was based on my past experience with Stanwells, and what I have heard from others. Based on that information, I wouldn't have a problem trying one from the featherweight series, with the understanding that it may have the possibility of being a hot smoker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast