Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Does this happen to you when breaking in a new pipe?

This is a discussion on Does this happen to you when breaking in a new pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Im breaking in this Dr.Grabow over hear and i notice a funny smell coming from the bowl and i thinks ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Does this happen to you when breaking in a new pipe?

Im breaking in this Dr.Grabow over hear and i notice a funny smell coming from the bowl and i thinks its charring briar but the smell seems to be dying down im really worried my pipe is going to burn through.

Re: Does this happen to you when breaking in a new pipe?

In a new pipe it is common for the first few smokes to taste and smell a bit off. This is a result of the remaining resins, acids and possibly stain in the bowl burning away. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just smoke slowly and these nasties will eventually disappear, cake will form, and you'll enjoy your new pipe.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Unless you can hold onto a scolding hot pipe burnout is unlikely without you being able to notice right away. Many guys smoke half or quarter bowls while breaking in.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Smoke smaller bowls (slowly, to the bottom if possible) for a dozen or so smokes to break in the heel and airhole; the taste of burning wood will taper off quickly.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Is it possible they got a bit of shellac inside the bowl? That would produce a horrendous smell, I'll bet.
    ********.com

Full grown Puffer Fish pffintuff's Avatar

Don't feel like you have to light up that tobacco on the bottom. Just dump it, you and your pipe will be fine.

No longer a community member.

moo is right

also the smalla mount of shellac/coating is entirely possible and would probably smell something like burnt plastic

With it being a Grabow I wouldn't be surprised if some stain or finish got into the bowl, Petersons often suffer from a simlar problem. A bit of coarse sandpaper run around the inside of the bowl should sort the problem.

I was finally able to smoke a bowl to the bottom on my corncob. I started tasting wood and dumped it. I'm guessing that a cob also needs to build up some cake on the bottom around the airhole, although I think I smoked a bunch of wood. I was pretty excited that my baccy actually stayed lit that I was puffing like a steam engine.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos44 View Post
    I was finally able to smoke a bowl to the bottom on my corncob. I started tasting wood and dumped it. I'm guessing that a cob also needs to build up some cake on the bottom around the airhole, although I think I smoked a bunch of wood. I was pretty excited that my baccy actually stayed lit that I was puffing like a steam engine.
    Scott
    It generally takes me 6-10 bowls to char the cob shank away enough so you no longer taste the shank. When you get to the bottom and start tasting pine, go for a bit longer so the shank burns away quicker. IOW, don't dump it immediately.
    WyoBob

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    It generally takes me 6-10 bowls to char the cob shank away...
    +1

Shank-Skank is a cob fact-of-life.

Whoever created the fiction that cobs don't need to be broken in.... well... he never smoked a cob. You have to burn past shank-skank before a cob is running right.

Cask' makes a good point about sanding although I never found the pre-burned bowls of Dr. Grabows to be skank-pipes. They smoke pretty clean from the get-go. So many production pipes have finish inside the bowl from dipping or spraying... terrible practices. My last (and I mean last) Peterson, an Irish Harp, was so soaked with stain I didn't think I'd ever sand, soak or smoke my way through it. For a MSRP $140 pipe I expected a lot better than that.
    Last edited by Mister Moo; 07-25-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Ive encountered what I figure was burning stain on my Sav. Ack! Smelled horrible and tasted even worse!

I dont get the woody/pine smell/taste with my new cobs. To me it just smells/tastes something like plain popcorn- imagine that.

And yes, cobs do have a break in period!

Gosh, Dan, you seem to love Peterson pipes almost as much as I do!

As for cobs -- I'm a newbie of sorts, so I'm probably just talking out of the rectal data base, but I smoke 4 regularly. I took a cob expert's advice and ditched the bowl at the first sign of turpentine. Char happens on the shank anyhow and gradually coats it until you can smoke it down. I also took the advice not to use any metal inside the bowl and only knock out what you can against your palm and what loosens when you run a pipe cleaner through it. Things progressed as advertised, with the spaces around the shank gradually filling with ash and cake and now the shank has blended in with the bowl on all my cobs -- and it's still there after at least a hundred smokes in each. The shank was gradually charred and caked so it's pretty much protected at this point.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

+1 to what Jim said. I actually find my most smoked cobs actually lose the.... well lets say the shank in the bowl is a "U", eventually the legs of the U disappear and it's just a flat shank with natural mud and leavings in all the crevices.

The sole exception to that is probably my one big cob disappointment. I have a danish egg that the stem did not get quite centered or buried all the way and left massive gaps all around. I know the egg has the hardwood bottom, but the shank enters the bowl 1/2" above that so it's hard to smoke. Eventually I'll try to heatgun the darn thing apart and reglue it in myself I suppose. Considering how many bowls I smoke out of cobs daily if that's the best complaint I can come up with they are doing something right I suppose.

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

I Think with time most of the cob shanks will burn back even with the chamber wall. That happened with my 2 Legends. The large abyss below the draught hole led to very wet smokes. I mudded them with white clay and they now smoke fine. On my better cobs, (Great Danes, Diplomats and Patriots) the shank is more substantial, so I don't think I will have as much problem. But they all are very good about smoking to the bottom, so maybe they will char back quicker. Oh well, here in central GA there is no shortage of clay.

My method to avoid burnt wood taste. As soon as I taste it, I tamp down the ember rather firmly and set it aside until it goes out. After just a few bowls, problem solved.

Yes, I cake my cobs. No, I don't use filters.