Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

''Real'' Pipe Mud

This is a discussion on ''Real'' Pipe Mud within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by User Name seriously? I can't tell if you're joking. I am actually serious on this one....

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

Re: ''Real'' Pipe Mud

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    seriously? I can't tell if you're joking.
    I am actually serious on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dgerwin11 View Post
    I am actually serious on this one.
    I googled this earlier hoping to stumble across a product or brand name that I might look for at the local Walgreens, etc. One of the sites listed a study where lab rats were fed kaolin before and during pregnancy. It actually had negative effect on the mother and her pups... I hope this isn't a common practice anymore?!
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    I googled this earlier hoping to stumble across a product or brand name that I might look for at the local Walgreens, etc. One of the sites listed a study where lab rats were fed kaolin before and during pregnancy. It actually had negative effect on the mother and her pups... I hope this isn't a common practice anymore?!
    Seems to be a common practice all over the world, and has been for centuries. The article I posted above indicated that it is good for humans, especially pregnant women, if not for rats.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

As an aside, I had a milkshake from Arby's years ago, I know...first mistake, and happened to know the shift manager at the time. He mentioned that the milkshakes came as a powdered mix and some got on his shoe and formed a hard clay like nodule. He said he looked up the ingredients and found out it contained kaolin. That's your interesting fact for the day.

Kaolin is the "Kao-" of Kaopectate

Quote Originally Posted by BrewShooter View Post
    As an aside, I had a milkshake from Arby's years ago, I know...first mistake, and happened to know the shift manager at the time. He mentioned that the milkshakes came as a powdered mix and some got on his shoe and formed a hard clay like nodule. He said he looked up the ingredients and found out it contained kaolin. That's your interesting fact for the day.
    Far out! So you're telling me all I have to do is get an Arby's milkshake, put some in that stinking Peterson, let it harden and I'm good to go?

Further afield, I have this decades long irrational hatred of Arby's, having to do with the naming of the their product. It isn't a beef sandwich! Technically, yes, it's roast beef, but it's beef sausage, ie, ground up, pressed beef. It's like calling bologna ham. Really bugs me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dgerwin11 View Post
    Kaolin is the "Kao-" of Kaopectate
    Never thought about it, but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Far out! So you're telling me all I have to do is get an Arby's milkshake, put some in that stinking Peterson, let it harden and I'm good to go?
    Well, technically you need to find the powder in its unmixed form. If you didn't have such a hatred of Arby's, I'd tell to go to your local franchise and ask them to hook a brother up.

Quote Originally Posted by BrewShooter View Post
    Never thought about it, but it makes sense.
    Maybe instead of the milk shake mix I should get me some Kaopectate! It is a sick pipe, after all.

Whoo boy, we have some "sick" people here. Here's a thought for any of you who might want to try this. If you don't plan on being in rural central GA, try a crafts store. If they have any pottery or ceramics supplies, you may be able to find clay there.

We go to the state fair pretty much every year and got to wondering what happened to the "good" NY ice cream. A few years back, Perry's, a great ice cream sold at the quick stop down the street, changed. Last year at the fair, we got some ice cream from some local maker that seemed to be made out of plastic -- 95 degrees and it didn't melt! Weird. Those few years ago, I went to the quick stop and bought my usual Perry's vanilla. The container was smaller, 48 oz or something instead of the regular half gallon of 64 oz, and it was made of plastic. As it turned out, the ice cream was too. Could NOT make a milkshake with it! Turned into a disgusting weak sweet slurry, but not even as good as a Wendy's Frostie. Horrible.

Now I think the penny is on its way to bouncing off the scoop: They're using kaolin, like the Arby's milkshakes mix, to substitute for some of the cream. Bet that ups the bottom line, eh?

Well, there's still Stewart's. If that goes the way of Perry's I might have to learn to live without.
    Last edited by freestoke; 07-29-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2