Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

''Real'' Pipe Mud

This is a discussion on ''Real'' Pipe Mud within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I have 2 MM Legends that I was ready to give up on. The shank had burned back to be ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

''Real'' Pipe Mud

I have 2 MM Legends that I was ready to give up on. The shank had burned back to be even with the chamber wall. This left a huge void that collected unburnable dottle and moisture, which lead to a very lousy smoke. From reading these forums, it seemed clear to me that they were excellent candidates for mudding.

The problem is I don't smoke cigars or know anyone who does. Since I life in GA, what I have is clay. I put the 2 Legends out in the sun to dry and freshen. Several hours later I mixed up some ''Georgia White Dirt'' (kaolin clay) and water to a thick paste. I whittled a paddle out of some kindling to apply it with. I inserted a pipe cleaner thru the shank all the way to serve as a depth gauge. Before removing that pipe cleaner, I formed a U with another to wipe the mud off the chamber walls. Then back out in the sun to "bake." After ''baking'', I smoke a couple of half bowls to ''fire'' the mud. Seems to work just fine. If you poke that stuff lightly with a pocket knife, it is hard as stone. Now I know what to do if I run into the same thing with my Great Danes, Diplomats or Patriots.

While the Legend will never be my favorite line, sometime you do want something for a quick smoke.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: ''Real'' Pipe Mud

While cigar ash works the easiest pipe ash works just fine but i hope you did research to make sure that clay your smoking in isn't poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordun View Post
    While cigar ash works the easiest pipe ash works just fine but i hope you did research to make sure that clay your smoking in isn't poison.
    Hell,
    Some folk around here eat it.

If the clay was harmful, Georgia would be empty.
    ********.com

Exclamation Re: ''Real'' Pipe Mud

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    If the clay was harmful, Georgia would be empty.
    Amen, Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by dgerwin11 View Post
    Hell,
    Some folk around here eat it.
    The red is WAY better. White is sorta tasteless, with no nic hit.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    The red is WAY better. White is sorta tasteless, with no nic hit.
    Red Clay with a dash of perique?

I have 2 MM Legends that I was ready to give up on. The shank had burned back to be even with the chamber wall. This left a huge void that collected unburnable dottle and moisture, which lead to a very lousy smoke. From reading these forums, it seemed clear to me that they were excellent candidates for mudding.
    I used pipe ash twice for pipe mud and it didn't really work because I needed about pint of it to fix my lousy Peterson with the drill halfway up the bowl. Couldn't get it to stay in there, because it would shrink and pop out, and I don't think cigar ash would have worked either. I might go with some basic plaster of Paris or something -- they use it cobs, right? (There is no mud around here, just loam and sand.)

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Red Clay with a dash of perique?
    Yeah, helps it stay lit.

‪FLEX SEAL

Fix your potted plants, fix your water pipes, fix your tobacco pipes...

Wonder if putting this stuff in my pipe would kill me....hmmm

Wonder if putting this stuff in my pipe would kill me....hmmm
    You never know until you try.

While I live in Georgia, my area has plenty of red clay but no none of the white kaolin clay. In all seriousness, any idea if the red works?
    Last edited by Stonedog; 07-25-2011 at 10:47 AM.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    While I live in Georgia, my area has plenty of red clayI am going to try. but no none of the white kaolin clay. In all seriousness, any idea if the red works?
    I am gonna try red next time just for the hell of it. Check convenience stores for white. Some black women eat it to control nausea during pregnancy.

I am gonna try red next time just for the hell of it. Check convenience stores for white. Some black women eat it to control nausea during pregnancy.
    seriously? I can't tell if you're joking.

seriously? I can't tell if you're joking.
    Eating Dirt: It Might Be Good for You - ABC News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast