Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Flutter Damping

This is a discussion on Flutter Damping within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Perhaps because I play piano and classical guitar, twiddling my fingers is habitual, but I have for years added a ...

Flutter Damping

Perhaps because I play piano and classical guitar, twiddling my fingers is habitual, but I have for years added a fluttering over the bowl of two fingers while damping, mainly toward the end of a bowl. A simple two finger damp seems essential to enjoying the "end of the line", but occasionally alternating fingers quickly on the rim does something more than merely damping. I hypothesize that the vibration shakes ash into the dottle and redistributes the airflow in a way that feeds the edges of the unburnt tobacco. Merely guessing, but something good happens whatever the physical reasons behind it.

Try it! Down there when things might be getting a little weak, try tapping the top with two fingers, thumb on the bottom, combined with normal damping with those fingers. You can produce remarkable volumes of smoke fairly easily for a short while, at a time when it can be hard otherwise to get the last of the tobacco to burn.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Re: Flutter Damping

Thanks for the tip!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Interesting, I will have to try it. I have to confess I don't know what you mean by "damping" though. Are you cutting the airflow into to the bowl off with your fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Xodar View Post
    Interesting, I will have to try it. I have to confess I don't know what you mean by "damping" though. Are you cutting the airflow into to the bowl off with your fingers?
    Yes, restricting the airflow with your fingers. It improves the burn somehow, probably by keeping the air from merely going straight down the middle of the pile or something. It's amazing how damping can restore an ember that's just about gone out. I do it a lot. One of the ways I finish a lot of bowls without relighting. Thinking a little more about "fluttering", it may be little puffs of air that get into the ember that spreads the burn in a way that drawing on the pipe does not.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Pretty slick, I don't understand the mechanics of it, but it does seem to fire a slow ember up, thanks!

Leading Puffer Fish

Interesting, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip!

Somehow I discovered the damping to help with a stalled smoke, but I'll have to add the fluttering next time too. Although, my wife calls that twiddling!

damping would refer to when you have a hot bed of coals and some unburnt wood. you blow on the coals till you get the flames to come up again.
    I don't damp enough, and I always wonder why there is always little bits of slighty burnt tobacco at the end of my bowl
    troy

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Perhaps because I play piano and classical guitar, twiddling my fingers is habitual, but I have for years added a fluttering over the bowl of two fingers while damping, mainly toward the end of a bowl. A simple two finger damp seems essential to enjoying the "end of the line", but occasionally alternating fingers quickly on the rim does something more than merely damping. I hypothesize that the vibration shakes ash into the dottle and redistributes the airflow in a way that feeds the edges of the unburnt tobacco. Merely guessing, but something good happens whatever the physical reasons behind it.

Try it! Down there when things might be getting a little weak, try tapping the top with two fingers, thumb on the bottom, combined with normal damping with those fingers. You can produce remarkable volumes of smoke fairly easily for a short while, at a time when it can be hard otherwise to get the last of the tobacco to burn.
    WEIRD

i do this too. and i play bass

huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    WEIRD

i do this too. and i play bass

huh.
    Cross training pays off again!

I learned damping about 16 or 17 years ago when I was relighting my pipe for the 5th or 6th time that bowl and a pot smoking buddy of mine who was in the car with me told me about it.

I do sometimes tap softly on the bowl, both when damping and sometimes when not. I used to play guitar (no idea if that has anything to do with it, I also have ADHD and fidget a lot which probably has more to do with it, but since there seems to be an unofficial survey ).

Anyway, between the damping and the tapping is why I can get through many bowls without a relight, and most bowls with minimal relights. Before I started with damping I'd relight half a dozen to a dozen times a bowl.

I've only recently started damping, but it does seem to help. I think I need to do it more often.

I also do this. Not only does it help the final bit of baccy burn but it also seems to increase the relaxation response in some measurable way.