Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Premium Handmade Pipes (Info Needed)

This is a discussion on Premium Handmade Pipes (Info Needed) within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey, I am new to the pipe world and have enjoyed my time so far. I am wanting to buy ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes logos's Avatar

Premium Handmade Pipes (Info Needed)

Hey,

I am new to the pipe world and have enjoyed my time so far. I am wanting to buy a close friend a very nice gift. Knowing that he loves pipes, I am looking for a premium handmade pipe maker. I am wanting to stay away from the big outfits, and go with a smaller operation that is putting out great work.

What makers should I look into?

Links and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Premium Handmade Pipes (Info Needed)

Do you have a price range in mind?

Price range is pretty open...and by that I mean nothing over $600.

This will be a big gift...so I want it to be a lasting memory!

That leaves it wide open. If you're looking for a one of a kind, Mark Tinsky does special orders and inscriptions. I have a couple of his pipes and they are top quality. You can check out examples of his work here:

Amsmoke Catalog

At that price point I'm sure that you'll get many suggestions.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    I want it to be a lasting memory!
    Any decent, well cared for briar pipe will last for generations.

Are you looking for an American carver, or does it matter?
    With a $600 budget you have many options.

Your friend is lucky to know you.

It could be from any country...

Leading Puffer Fish

I am not an expert by any means, but I have heard good things about Rad Davis pipes. Also in my experience Danish pipe carvers are often at the top of the list for skilled carving. I have also heard (and there may be no truth to this) that the best briar is kept in Italy for the Italian carvers (again I donít know if that is accurate). Some of the well-known carvers pipes (Tom Eltang, Nanna Ivarsson, Tonni Nielsen,Former...) are sold on sites like www.smokingpipes.com but I donít know if that pushes it out of the realm of a "smaller operation".

At that price range you should have no trouble finding what you want. Best thing to do is get an idea of what you would like and then look at makers websites to get an idea of their style and prices. After that just shoot them an email and ask them for a quote. Be aware certain makers have very long waiting lists for commissions but most will also have some "general" stock.

I am not above a shameless plug for myself also

No longer a community member.

^ others have given you the info you need.

...You wanna be friends? XD

Mr. Askwith does indeed make some nice pipes. Some others to consider:

Rad Davis
    Mark Tinsky
    Castello
    Ashton
    Ferndown
    Ardor
    Becker

Sheesh, the list goes on. Even Dunhill - although terribly overpriced, they still make beautiful, well-made pipes. I suggest browsing at some of the online retailers and see what you like:
    smokingpipes.com
    pipesandcigars.com
    iwanries.com
    pipes2smoke.com
    pulversbriar.com
    cigarsandpipes.com
    thebriary.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes bent-1's Avatar

Here's a good place to buy, Quality Briar. The video clip of each pipe & high quality selection is top notch.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

All of the above suggestions are excellent. I'd also add Claudio Cavicchi. You can check out his pipes here:

Claudio Cavicchi Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com
    ďThe value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.Ē - Bismarck

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

You might check out Roush pipes ( Larry Roush Pipes ). Larry only has one pipe available right now but you can get on his mailing list and he'll notify you when a new piece is available. Many of his pipes are in your price range, (and some quite above it). His pipes are usually BIG, and to me look really nice.

EDIT: Oh, and if you are notified of a new pipe, and it's one you are considering, you better act fast. I've noticed that many times his new pipes sell within the first day they are listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendu3270 View Post
    You might check out Roush pipes ( Larry Roush Pipes ). Larry only has one pipe available right now but you can get on his mailing list and he'll notify you when a new piece is available. Many of his pipes are in your price range, (and some quite above it). His pipes are usually BIG, and to me look really nice.

EDIT: Oh, and if you are notified of a new pipe, and it's one you are considering, you better act fast. I've noticed that many times his new pipes sell within the first day they are listed.
    Day? you mean within minutes! Larry Roush is a great pipe maker and very popular.

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caskwith View Post
    Day? you mean within minutes!
    true, true. I hope one day to be able to "treat" myself to one of his. I have found myself browsing through his gallery of past pipes even though they all have homes. They all look great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast