Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Which Tobacco for my first order?

This is a discussion on Which Tobacco for my first order? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hi everyone....I just introduced my self on the new member's thread and already have a question. I'm getting ready to ...

Newbie in the ocean

Which Tobacco for my first order?

Hi everyone....I just introduced my self on the new member's thread and already have a question.

I'm getting ready to order everything I need and and decided to order from Mars, mostly because I wanted to start with an MM cob and really like the Country Gentleman and they have a great price.

I was planning on starting my journey off by ordering PA and CB to get the ball rolling, but I don't see them on Mars. So what does everyone recommend?

First, I'm getting into this hobby because I like the social aspect of cigar smoking but really do not like the taste of cigars. I recently met someone who was smoking a pipe and he recommended I give it a try. I didn't think to ask what he was smoking because I didn't realize there are thousands of tobaccos to choose from!!!

So anyway, I think I will need something mild. I would like it to taste and smell better than cigars...but other than that I have no real requirements.

Right now I have chosen IQ (for no real reason, it just seemed popular on the forums) and and while reading the order page I saw RLP-6. Are these good choices for a first timer? I should note that I am in Afghanistan and must do internet orders.

I'm going to join the newbie trade forum as soon as I have enough posts but I also need something that will arrive with the pipe because it will kill me to wait!!!

Also..will tupperware work for storage? Having a bunch of glass jars laying around is probably not the best solution for my current situation.

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Which Tobacco for my first order?

Well, if you didn't like cigars, my recommendations probably won't be to your liking, but I will recommend them nonetheless.

The blends you've mentioned fall into over-the-counter and aromatic blends. That's not where I steer most newbies (although plenty of folks around here would). I recommend starting with a light/medium english style blend like GL Pease Kensington, Piccadilly, or Chelsea Morning. And there's nothing wrong with cobs, but don't judge your pipe smoking experience until you've purchased a briar. I recommend an estate pipe in the $30 - $50 range (it will already be broken-in, a proven smoker, cleanded/refurbished, have lots of smoking left in it, and was likely a far more expensive pipe when new). pulversbriar.com and smokingpipes.com are two good sources.

If you haven't tried retrohaling, I recommend that, too (might not be for you, but worth trying). I can't post the link right now, but if you go to youtube and search stogie fresh or retrohaling you'll likely find the video on it.

Good luck, be patient, and come back with questions or problems.

Leading Puffer Fish

www.4noggins.com sells both cobs and the blends you are looking for (PA, and CB) if you really had your heart set on them.

I have to admit I have not tried the Land tobaccos you are looking at so I canít speak to that.

As far as storage, that can be tough in the type of dry environment you are in, I would think the tobacco would all but turn to dust in a few days if not stored in a air tight container. Remember if you can smell the tobacco through the container it is not air tight. That said I donít think Tupperware is the best route, I would really recommend mason or bail top jars if at all possible.

I just moved into pipes from cigars and tried a few pipe tobaccos. So far I have liked Dunhill Early Morning (nice mild smoke), Balkan Sasieni(quite an interesting blend) and McCleland Christmas Cheers 2010 (very nice).

2 weeks ago, I was were you are today.
    One of the first suggestions I recieved....

"Get Escudo and a cob"................

and to you I say...."Get Escudo and a cob".....
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    I have to admit I have not tried the Land tobaccos you are looking at
    *Lane

If you do decide to order from 4Noggins I'd recommend getting a couple ounces of their "Bald Headed Teacher" and a few ounces of "Storm Front". The first is a nice entry-level latakia-based blend. The second is very much like Prince Albert but with more body and none of the chemical taste. If you want to try a flavored/aromatic they have a blend called "Double Fantasy" which has a sort of mocha topping which is a chance from the usual rum/vanilla/cherry/etc flavors in many aromatics.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

I can certainly second the Bald Headed Teacher suggestion if you go with 4noggins.

One comment, you mention that you didn't like the taste of cigars much. Do you smoke cigarettes? If not, it might be that you just don't like tobacco. You may dislike the taste of pipes too. Given that risk, I'd say go cheap to start- buy a cob and a few ounces of two or three tobaccos (and don't make them all the same type- if you buy an English, also buy an aro and/or VA/Vaper), but don't stock up and if you do go with a briar, try to keep it below $50. Now, if you do smoke cigarettes you don't have to be as cautious. Nothing wrong with starting with an OTC, as long as it is the right OTC (Prince Albert is pretty popular, Captain Black isn't bad for an OTC aro, but it is hit or miss, people usually either hate it or really like it, very few are in between).

Hmm, on second thought, you are a contractor overseas serving your country? Do contractors get APO addresses? Be sure you fill out the about me section, esp. the cigar bomb address. You may want to hold off on buying anything

I really think Dans Blue Note is a great aromatic. Its tasty without being gooey and ridiculously laced. I do have some Lane 1Q at that house and smoke it from time to time, but I find it a bit too mild of a flavor on most occasions. AC Pederson makes a tobacco that is an aro called Royal Viking, and I think its at 4noggins for something like 4oz for $8 bucks. I tend to like this a bit more than 1Q.

Since you do not like most cigars, stay away from the English blends. I also highly suggest getting into the newb trade at the top of the forums.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Mars has the tobaccos you are looking for. When you go to their site, click "pipe tobacco", then click "traditional/miscellaneous". Hope that helps. You may also want to check out the Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. Enjoy the new hobby and don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Newbie in the ocean

Wow...Thanks for all the replies!!!!

A lot of people recommend the estate pipe route, which I know I will definately be doing pretty soon. I'm starting with an MM cob and ordered two country gentlemen, one straight and one curved to see which I prefer more. I like the looks of the curved more, but will see which ends up being my "go to" pipe.

ChronB: I'll look up retrohaling once I get back from work today.

Nick S.: I was planning on ordering from 4noggins, but the pipe I wanted was out of stock. I read something about the website being a one man show, and I would prefer to support a small business, so I will probably be doing a lot of ordering from them.

Stonedog, Jeff and Jager: Stonedog and Jeff both mentioned Bald Headed Teacher and I guess I will go with that and also keep the 1Q because Jader saying it is mild.

As far a cigars go....I guess I really shouldn't say I don't like them. I've only had the big cigars....There are a lot of type A personalities over here, so I guess the big cigar fits that type of personality. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but the first quarter of a cigar doesn't taste good at all for me, the next third tastes nice...but still strong, and the last part sucks. I want something which tastes good all the way through and is a bit milder.

Everyone else: Thanks for all the recommendations and I will give them all a try as I get going. I was hoping to look at the thread this morning and see an overwhelming consensus....so I guess I'm going to be using more of a shotgun approach.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post

Hmm, on second thought, you are a contractor overseas serving your country? Do contractors get APO addresses? Be sure you fill out the about me section, esp. the cigar bomb address. You may want to hold off on buying anything

Thanks and I will fill in my profile, including an address. With any luck I will run across a soldier who is a pipe smoker, or one who seems interested. I traditionally donate most of my care packages to the younger soldiers, and would love to be able to give someone some pipe tobacco and have a someone to smoke with. A lot of people and organizations donate cigars, but I've never seen pipe tobacco donated (probably because I've only noticed one person smoking a pipe in two years)...

Because of my job I'm usually located at smaller FOBs or Patrol Bases and the soldiers at these locations have it a little harder. Internet access is limited for them and while they make good money over here (all tax free for them) they usually have a problem obtaining actual cash. The cigarette smokers had it great over in Iraq because there were cigarettes they really liked that cost between $5 to $8 a carton..but it was a catch 22...they had problems accessing their cash. Needless to say, all the Iraqi's at the little store I was able to go to off the Patrol Base thought I was a very heavy smoker.

After saying all that, ...if you are going to send anything, please wait a bit and I will see if I can find some young guys who may be interested in this hobby.

Thanks...

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post

As far as storage, that can be tough in the type of dry environment you are in, I would think the tobacco would all but turn to dust in a few days if not stored in a air tight container. Remember if you can smell the tobacco through the container it is not air tight. That said I donít think Tupperware is the best route, I would really recommend mason or bail top jars if at all possible.
    The area I will be is actually quite humid, but after thinking about it I will probably go with the jars. I will just keep them stored inside a box. I've been reading and it looks like the wide mouth half pints are the way to go (amazon is my best friend over here).

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Thai'd Up View Post
    it looks like the wide mouth half pints are the way to go
    Yup, I use the half pints, and pints (all wide mouth) to store all my tobacco that isnt already sealed in a tin.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai'd Up View Post
    Thanks and I will fill in my profile, including an address. With any luck I will run across a soldier who is a pipe smoker, or one who seems interested. I traditionally donate most of my care packages to the younger soldiers, and would love to be able to give someone some pipe tobacco and have a someone to smoke with. A lot of people and organizations donate cigars, but I've never seen pipe tobacco donated (probably because I've only noticed one person smoking a pipe in two years)...

Because of my job I'm usually located at smaller FOBs or Patrol Bases and the soldiers at these locations have it a little harder. Internet access is limited for them and while they make good money over here (all tax free for them) they usually have a problem obtaining actual cash. The cigarette smokers had it great over in Iraq because there were cigarettes they really liked that cost between $5 to $8 a carton..but it was a catch 22...they had problems accessing their cash. Needless to say, all the Iraqi's at the little store I was able to go to off the Patrol Base thought I was a very heavy smoker.

After saying all that, ...if you are going to send anything, please wait a bit and I will see if I can find some young guys who may be interested in this hobby.

Thanks...
    OK, I'll let you buy your own tobaccos and hold off until you can find some of the younger guys who may be interested in pipes. I'll prepare one of my usual newbie "bombs" for one or two soldiers who may want to try a pipe. I usually send a few tobacco options, pipe tool, some cleaners, and a cob or two in these newbie "bombs", though for troops who don't read Puff and know the way we talk here, I will definitely call it a care package and not a bomb in any information I send about it