Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Why do all good tasting tobaccos have an unpleasant room note?

This is a discussion on Why do all good tasting tobaccos have an unpleasant room note? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I mainly smoke Penzance, Blackwoods flake and Stonehaven. None of these tobaccos have a pleasant room note. Is there a ...

Why do all good tasting tobaccos have an unpleasant room note?

I mainly smoke Penzance, Blackwoods flake and Stonehaven. None of these tobaccos have a pleasant room note. Is there a reason why good tobaccos smell like ?

Re: Why do all good tasting tobaccos have an unpleasant room note?

Yes. The chemicals that make tobacco smell good don't taste good. Have you ever tasted perfume. It is nasty. So are most of the ingredients that make tobacco aromatic.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Finding a tobacco that tastes good and smells good is a challenge but not impossible but it also depends on how you like your tobacco.

For example i have noticed that Captain Black White smells great like Cookies or Vanilla but it leaves behind a little Cookie and Vanilla taste that is very subtle and alot of people won't be able to pick it up so they label it as tasteless.
    Of course it depends on how your judge likes the tobacco your smoking for example i have had a few people Compliment me on my Captain Black Gold but my Wife hates the smell of Captain Black Gold and so does my sister.

I may be new to pipe smoking but I will disagree with that premise. There are at least a few good tasting tobaccos that exhibit a nice room note. The first that comes to mind is Erinmore Flake, the second is Anni Kake. I'd give you more but I have just finished work so please do not ask me to think to hard. LOL.

It is very dependent on what a smoker calls good tobacco as well.
    Last edited by Tashaz; 07-27-2011 at 06:10 AM.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

For what it's worth, I have yet to smoke Orlik Golden Sliced near someone and not have them compliment the smell. Great tobacco, great taste, great smell.

But I do know what you mean, many of the flavorful tobaccos smell pretty strongly like tobacco, which is unpleasant to many people.
    "But when I don't smoke I scarcely feel as if I'm living. I don't feel as if I'm living unless I'm killing myself." —Russell Hoban

Room note is in the nose of the beholder. Nevertheless, one of life's great mysteries is this: why doesn't pipe/cigar smoke smell/taste on the outside like it does on the inside? Sniffing second hand smoke is not the same as smoking it yourself. Why? Is it becuase it is has passed into and around organic membranes before reaching you? Is it because those particles that make tobacco smoke smell/taste good have already broken down or simply become too unconcentrated after being inhaled/exhaled by someone else?

How about, "Why do all expensive and hard-to-get tobaccos have an unpleasant room note?"

Choice tobacco is used in many of the "connoisseur" blends, and connoisseurs want to taste top notch tobacco, not a heavy flavoring that masks it. Burning tobacco smells like burning tobacco, which isn't a good room note. The tobacco varieties used in cigars are especially awful to non-smokers. Latakia, another frequent component in high end tobak smells like a campfire. Perique doesn't smell all that great, either. When there is flavoring to the better tobaccos, it usually is something that doesn't do much to change the basic taste (or room note).

Bear in mind, that if you are going to make a blend that smells nice, you don't really need the topmost shelf tobaccos for that.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

It is perspective as well. If I walk into a room where my father has been smoking something latakia rich like Penz or FM other people may find it unpleasant, but my mouth waters. My little brother once sprayed 12 year old glenlivet across my table. Scotch is also an acquired taste (and he better acquire it before he drinks any more of mine, lol).

Whenever I encounter someone smoking a pipe it always smells so good. I usually don't care what other people think but I enjoy smoking inside at times, and therefore need a tobacco that has a remotely pleasant room note. I'll give some of the suggested tobaccos a try.

Everyone says that LBF smells like that classic pipe smoke smell whenever I am smoking. They all love it.

"Good tasting" pipe tobacco is subjective. But I know what you mean.
    "The worst thing you can ever do in life is set yourself goals" - Stephen Fry

Puffer Fish with some spikes

It just depends but there are no hard and fast rules.

IMO "Evening stroll" tastes great and has a VERY pleasant room note.
    "Just plain nut" smells great but not much taste.

HOTW has a very pungent aroma yet tastes great
    Im sure there are plenty stinky blends that dont taste very good either.

Most of the better tasting tobaccos will have a room note that may not sit very well with non-smokers. I can now at least have a pipe without hearing about it for days on end. I still enjoy the smell of a good cigar, I just dont enjoy them as much as I do my pipes.