Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

McClelland thoughts.....

This is a discussion on McClelland thoughts..... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by gentimmy Haven't had the chance to try anything from mclelland yet but I just ordered two tins ...

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Re: McClelland thoughts.....

Quote Originally Posted by gentimmy View Post
    Haven't had the chance to try anything from mclelland yet but I just ordered two tins of Christmas cheer...one to age and one to start smoking when christmas decorations go up (day after thanksgiving haha)
    Just received my tin of Christmas Cheer yesterday. (as well as Latakia Flake, FMOTB and Blue Mountain). I'm definitely a McClelland guy for the time being.

Go Texans!!!

Full grown Puffer Fish gentimmy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendu3270 View Post
    Just received my tin of Christmas Cheer yesterday. (as well as Latakia Flake, FMOTB and Blue Mountain). I'm definitely a McClelland guy for the time being.

Go Texans!!!
    Lemme know how it tastes, man! Always nice seein other Texans

I have a tin of Dominican Glory Maduro and another of Grey Havens packed away. I wasn't going to open them until I got through some of my current stuff, but this thread is tempting me...
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

Just bought a tin of their Grand Orientals: Smyrna No.1 today at the B&M... went in only for pipe cleaners. TAD?

I had tasted it a few visits ago, remembered liking it, and I've been wanting a change to the VA/per, burley, and aro's I usually have. I thought an Izmir blend would do that nicely. Actually mentioned this to the tobacconist and he gave me a ounce of a blend he's been working on and thinking about introducing if he gets favorable reviews. (it's a black cav with a cherry blend, and a little perique, and something else too I think...)

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gentimmy View Post
    Lemme know how it tastes, man! Always nice seein other Texans
    Good luck waiting till Christmas to start smoking one of your tins. You'll give in to temptation and atleast open it up for a quick smell....then you'll be taken in and somewhat dazed by the aroma. Next thing you know, you'll have a pipe in your hands and be filling a bowl without even realizing it. Your next thought, as you snap back to reality, is what are these glorious plumes of smoke surrounding me, (crap! I was gonna wait!....). Oh wait we were talking about you.....I'm sorry. LOL

I opened my tin up after work yesterday and just couldn't wait to dry it out a little,(which I should had done). The tin aroma wasn't ketchup smell to me, like I've experienced with some other McClelland offerings, but just pure sweet Virginia. Obviously it smoked a little wet since I was too impatient to give it some time, but even at that it was a sweet flavorful smoke to say the least. I'll be smoking another bowl this evening after some proper dry time. Lately I've discovered that I enjoy english blends and really dig latakia and that's pretty much all I've been smoking for the past several weeks. I think this is a very good thing. I think a little time away from virginia's has helped me appreciate and enjoy their flavors that much more. Anyway, that's just a few ramblings on CC2011

Full grown Puffer Fish gentimmy's Avatar

ugh...looks like I should order another tin then...should probably get a tin of Holiday Spirit too. Ya know, just for good measure

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    Just bought a tin of their Grand Orientals: Smyrna No.1 today at the B&M... went in only for pipe cleaners. TAD?
    I've become quite a fan of the Grand Oriental family. They're unique in that they are milder than my beloved English blends, yet very flavorful.

I have a tin of the Smyrna but haven't tried it yet. Would like to hear your experience with it.

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

I just received an order from 4noggins today. Because of this thread, I included 1 lb of 5100 Red Cake, and 4 oz of McC's Bulk 2035 in the order.

2035 is a new one for me. For those that like Navy Flakes, and McC's tangy virginias like Dark Star, this one is right up your alley! Picture long, thin flakes, about the size of Penzance. They are as dark as Dark Star, with the classic McClelland's tangy virginia. These are different, however, becuase the flakes also spent some time aging in the rum barrels that make Navy Flakes.

The end result is a tangy, twangy red virginia flake that has a sweetness to it introduced by the addition of rum aging. For those that like these 2 types of tobacco, this will greatly appeal to you!

I'll be ordering another pound in about a month to set to aging. Damn. There goes my cellar, again!

WWhermit
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWhermit View Post

2035 is a new one for me. For those that like Navy Flakes, and McC's tangy virginias like Dark Star, this one is right up your alley! Picture long, thin flakes, about the size of Penzance. They are as dark as Dark Star, with the classic McClelland's tangy virginia. These are different, however, becuase the flakes also spent some time aging in the rum barrels that make Navy Flakes.

WWhermit
    +1 He's right about this one.

Also, give 2020 Matured Cake a try. Like many others, it really starts to sing after you let it rest for a year.
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3