Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Soggy(?) Cobs

This is a discussion on Soggy(?) Cobs within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I don't know how many cobs I have tossed over the years because the last bit of the bowl would ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

Soggy(?) Cobs

I don't know how many cobs I have tossed over the years because the last bit of the bowl would get excessively moist and gurgly. I figgered that the cob had absorbed all the moisture it could and was done for. Since I started reading these forums I realized that this was not so. When I had this happen to 2 MM Legends, I inspected them and found that the part of the shank that extended into the bowl had burnt back to even with the chamber wall, leaving a big space below the airhole. This seemed similar to the problems briars with a high airhole. So I mudded them with a clay/water mixture and they smoked fine. Well, now my 2 Diplomats are exhibiting the same situation, so this week end I'll mud those too.

I saw a post here or another forum where a guy muds his Ozarks before smoking the first bowl. I think I will wait until they need mudding and do them at that point.

Re: Soggy(?) Cobs

I have around 15 cobs and have been smoking 7-8 of them consistantly in my rotation for the last 1 1/2 years. (Prides and Diplomats, all natural and a Legend). I have never had even wet dottle let alone had the cob bottom get soggy.

Perhaps it's a difference in climates or perhaps type of tobacco or moisture content. I smoke mostly va/vapers but, even when smoking some aros (I had a bowl of BCA in a Diplomat yesterday) I don't have a a hint of moisture after a bowl. The burned ash just falls out of the bowl when tapped.

Possibly the mud will help with SBS (Soggy Bottom Syndrome). I've mudded 7-8 cobs and let the others do what comes naturally. The results seem the same (although I really like a nicely rounded bottom------that mudding gives)

Anyway, I've never tossed a cob or lost or damaged one for that matter. If I had a collection of meers or briars, with my luck, a giant tree would have already crashed through the roof and mashed the whole collection (and there are only two little, spindly trees on my 2 acres).
    WyoBob

Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    Anyway, I've never tossed a cob or lost or damaged one for that matter. If I had a collection of meers or briars, with my luck, a giant tree would have already crashed through the roof and mashed the whole collection (and there are only two little, spindly trees on my 2 acres).

I've never had the shank burn back. I've got 5 cobs right now and the only one I've lost is one I dropped in the driveway. The spaces between the shank and the bowl have filled in on all of them, making the bottom of the bowl like a well-drilled briar. The shank is still intact on them all, well charred (yes, I smoke the bowl to the end, after it's broken in). It may be because I don't relight at the end with a cob the way I might with briar, so the shank is never exposed to flame. While I do finish a lot of bowls completely, it doesn't include a late relight. I dump a bowl with a cob faster than I would with briar, just so I don't set the shank on fire -- or taste it burning!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    I really like a nicely rounded bottom------that mudding gives)
    Whadda perv.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Puffer Fish with some spikes dgerwin11's Avatar

I guess I'm doing something wrong, but according to these forums we all to something wrong according to somebody. But freesroke's advice about late relights sounds very sensible. I think I need to heed that advice.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    Whadda perv.
    Touché, sir!

1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?