Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

New pipe!

This is a discussion on New pipe! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I posted this in the acquisitions thread already, but last week I won a Sasieni Old England pipe on eBay. ...

New pipe!

I posted this in the acquisitions thread already, but last week I won a Sasieni Old England pipe on eBay. It was waiting for me when I got back from vacation. A quick review showed a nicely cleaned but well used estate pipe with very nice briar. Sasieni designated it a seconds (ie Old England) because of a high drill hole I'm guessing. I'm not sure but I thought I could detect latakia and maybe some sort of perfume ghosting when I first sniffed the bowl.

Anyway, a little pipe mud fixed the high drill hole and this morning I had my first 1/2 bowl. I chose Storm Front since I consider it a high-end alternative to PA and it offers is a nice, neutral flavor that won't ghost.

All I can say is wow, what a difference a pipe can make! I've tried SF in cobs and other (smaller) briars and the experience is always slightly different but generally very nice. But this bigger Old England with wider bowl & draft hole and longer stem really opened it up. More flavor and body despite the possible ghosting and I found myself driving past my office parking lot so I could spend a little extra time with it.

This is my fifth briar pipe and is second only to my problematic basket in affordability but it may just be my new favorite.

Here's a pic, although it doesn't really do the pipe justice.

So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Re: New pipe!

Very nice!
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Wow, a Sasieni with a high drill!? I've got five, all with perfect drills. Didn't think they'd even put a high drill out as a second. Anyhow, SUPER looking pipe! Sasieni's are my favorites!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Wow, a Sasieni with a high drill!? I've got five, all with perfect drills. Didn't think they'd even put a high drill out as a second. Anyhow, SUPER looking pipe! Sasieni's are my favorites!
    Well, it doesn't say "Sasieni" on the pipe. Old England was apparently their line of seconds.

Markings on one side:

OLD ENGLAND
    LONDON MADE

Markings on the other:

MADE IN
    ENGLAND 7?6

The model number was stamped lightly or has been buffed out and is hard to determine.

EDIT: Hmmm... after a bit of research it looks like Sasieni stamped "by Sasieni" on them and I don't see that on the pipe. The eBay seller said it was a Sasieni second, and that's the only "proof" I have. But, it smokes well and looks great so I'm going to say it's a Sasieni and not over think it. :-)
    Last edited by Stonedog; 07-28-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Very nice looking piece there. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Well, it doesn't say "Sasieni" on the pipe. Old England was apparently their line of seconds.
    Everything else seems right. On my Mayfair, Sasieni is VERY lightly scripted above Mayfair. If it was buffed, the Sasieni could have been rubbed off if it was as lightly cut in as my Mayfair. Sure looks like a Sasieni!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney